Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What does Lake Waco look like?

Howdy,
    I drew lake Waco from nov 3-9th. It looks like the water level is stupid high and I was wondering if it pushed all the deer out. Has anyone been hunting the lake? What does it look like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drive over it every day, I believe I read it’s at its 3rd highest level of all time.

I also boat in and hunt some of the USACE grounds during October. If a launch was open I could easily boat right up to both trees I set up in and one might be under water. If Granbury, Whitney and Aquila get back down to manageable levels and Waco could let out more than 3000 cfs then allot of ground would shed the water off.

What area did you choose with your draw. Twin Bridges area is about 30% dry; Hog Creek area best I can tell is approximately 50% dry, middle bosque area is totally flooded.
    I am not sure about the north bosque areas, but would imagine that if there is any dry ground it would be in Higgabotham.

Maybe some of the duck hunters that are scouting flooded timber can chime in.........

Oh, and we are getting good rains now.

Rwc

Comment

Originally posted by Rwc View Post
      Drive over it every day, I believe I read it’s at its 3rd highest level of all time.

I also boat in and hunt some of the USACE grounds during October. If a launch was open I could easily boat right up to both trees I set up in and one might be under water. If Granbury, Whitney and Aquila get back down to manageable levels and Waco could let out more than 3000 cfs then allot of ground would shed the water off.

What area did you choose with your draw. Twin Bridges area is about 30% dry; Hog Creek area best I can tell is approximately 50% dry, middle bosque area is totally flooded.
      I am not sure about the north bosque areas, but would imagine that if there is any dry ground it would be in Higgabotham.

Maybe some of the duck hunters that are scouting flooded timber can chime in.........

Oh, and we are getting good rains now.

Rwc

N2 across from the wetlands. It doesn’t sound good. I don’t think I’ll be able to hunting.

Comment

Waco lake level is currently 19.5 feet above normal. It has been releasing a little over 5,000 cfs for the last two days. Possum Kindom has reduced it's release by almost 200 cfs. It is currently releasing 16,548 cfs. Grandbury dose not have much of a flood plane. And just about has to release if PK has a release. And Grandbury has a narrow flood plane. So they actually have to release more to accommodate the inflow from PK. The out flow from Grandbury flows into Whitney. Whitney is used mostly as a "catch pool" to help control down steam flooding. So that lake is kept low a lot. It sits at 11.35 feet above normal at the moment. And still has a great deal of room for flooding. It is still releasing over 20,000 cfs. But with the drop in release from both PK and Grandbury, I expect it to cut back a little more pretty soon. As the little lakes further down the Brazos are getting really full at the moment. And they, along with Waco, need some relief, where as Whitney could sustain more intake while they do so. I would not expect Waco to be down anytime soon. Best thing to do in your case is to drive across that bridge and look to wee where the water is currently. And then watch the water level on-line.

Comment

Water is super high. All launches closed. Higginbotham may be huntable as stated above. Some of hog creek is probably dry. Crazy. This rain has ruined dove, and now bow season for us. Hope we find some ducks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Flex View Post
            Water is super high. All launches closed. Higginbotham may be huntable as stated above. Some of hog creek is probably dry. Crazy. This rain has ruined dove, and now bow season for us. Hope we find some ducks.

Should have no issues finding ducks around Waco this year. Now finding areas without hunters might be an issue.............ha

Comment

Should have no issues finding ducks around Waco this year. Now finding areas without hunters might be an issue.............ha
              True. Don't even have a plan on where to hunt yet. Need water level to drop so i can scout.

Comment

Originally posted by jdunn6092 View Post
                N2 across from the wetlands. It doesn’t sound good. I don’t think I’ll be able to hunting.

I bet a pretty nickel that N2 is completely under water at this time.

Remind me and I’ll drive by that unit next week and let you know.

Rwc

Comment

I bet a pretty nickel that N2 is completely under water at this time.

Remind me and I’ll drive by that unit next week and let you know.

Rwc

Ok thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                    Waco lake level is currently 19.5 feet above normal. It has been releasing a little over 5,000 cfs for the last two days. Possum Kindom has reduced it's release by almost 200 cfs. It is currently releasing 16,548 cfs. Grandbury dose not have much of a flood plane. And just about has to release if PK has a release. And Grandbury has a narrow flood plane. So they actually have to release more to accommodate the inflow from PK. The out flow from Grandbury flows into Whitney. Whitney is used mostly as a "catch pool" to help control down steam flooding. So that lake is kept low a lot. It sits at 11.35 feet above normal at the moment. And still has a great deal of room for flooding. It is still releasing over 20,000 cfs. But with the drop in release from both PK and Grandbury, I expect it to cut back a little more pretty soon. As the little lakes further down the Brazos are getting really full at the moment. And they, along with Waco, need some relief, where as Whitney could sustain more intake while they do so. I would not expect Waco to be down anytime soon. Best thing to do in your case is to drive across that bridge and look to wee where the water is currently. And then watch the water level on-line.

I can’t drive by right now. I’m from China spring but live in the Rockport/Corpus Christi area. I hate to drive 5 hrs to Waco and not be able to hunt.

Comment

A guy I work with said that N3 is under water. That is what he drew for opening week of shotgun. If that is true then I'm sure anything around the 185 bridge is not good

Comment

I've spent time in the hog creek section on the twin bridges side the last ten days or so. I would agree with Richards assessment that about 30% is huntable- but would also say it may be a tad more. The good news is what is huntable the deer are congregated heavily in. The hunting in my opinion doesn't get any better than it is right now if you can get in. All that being said don't let the high water discourage you cause if there is dry ground in the hunting area the deer are going to be most likely going to be stacked in that higher ground. Think of it as a enormous funnel. There were 4 or 5 deer killed this past week in the area that I'm speaking of that I know of, which is a much higher number than what is usually taken in that time frame. Best hunt I ever had on the lake was in '91 I think it was when the lake was at record levels, I shot every arrow in my quiver chasing them around and some how I didn't hit one ... rookie bowhunters ��. Good luck!

Comment

Lake Waco has reached 20.13 feet above normal as of this moment. And gained .98 feet in the last 24 hours as of this moment. The release remains the same at just over 5,100 cfs.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                            Lake Waco has reached 20.13 feet above normal as of this moment. And gained .98 feet in the last 24 hours as of this moment. The release remains the same at just over 5,100 cfs.
                            Yea, North Bosque gauge at Clifton went from 4.87 to 13.55 yesterday evening after that last heavy rain cell passed through Meridian and Iredell.

Rwc

Comment

Working...
                            X