Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 02-13-2019, 11:38 PM   #1
MarkV
Pope & Young

Default Pellet grille vs propane

I know they are completely different but wanted yalls thoughts if you could only have one.

Have never had a smoker of any kind and only had propane. It came to the end of its life when moving and looking at getting something. Don't want to spend $1k on a pellet grille wishing I had propane still and then have to spend another $1k on a propane grille. So if you could only have one or the other which would you go with and why. Thanks for the help.
MarkV is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2019, 11:50 PM   #2
kd350
Ten Point

Hunt In: Reagan wells, fedor, paige, rocksprings

Pellet grill. Can’t get good smoke flavor with gas, and the pellet grill can be used without smoke so it’s pretty much a gas grill
kd350 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2019, 11:51 PM   #3
mmlreiner
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kerr County, Tx

My 2* for what itís worth. It really depends on what you like to eat more of. If you like to cook brisket, ribs, chicken and smoke some tenderloin thatís what youíll get with the pellet grill. I have cooked pies, cold smoked cheese, and baked lots of bread in mine.

If you like grilling, burgers, steaks, chicken and whatnot then go for the propane grill.

Personally, I have a plain charcoal grill for the ďwhatnotsĒ that I spent very little on but use regularly and Iíve got a traeger that I got on sale and absolutely love. I enjoy something on the Traeger about once every two weeks or sooner and I enjoy something on the grill about once a week. If it were me, Iíd have both if you want the propane over the charcoal. A little Smokey lasts forever and takes up a small footprint. Itís the pellet grill that will take up space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
mmlreiner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 12:02 AM   #4
SNIPER3388
Nubbin' Buck

Hands down pellet grill.
SNIPER3388 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 05:44 AM   #5
Roscoe
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coryell County

Always wanted to try a Traeger. A week ago my neighbor and I smoked a 25lb piggy we trapped. It was outstanding!

Roscoe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 06:38 AM   #6
Btoutdoors
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas

Pellet grill
Btoutdoors is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 07:16 AM   #7
WItoTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmlreiner View Post
My 2* for what itís worth. It really depends on what you like to eat more of. If you like to cook brisket, ribs, chicken and smoke some tenderloin thatís what youíll get with the pellet grill. I have cooked pies, cold smoked cheese, and baked lots of bread in mine.

If you like grilling, burgers, steaks, chicken and whatnot then go for the propane grill.

Personally, I have a plain charcoal grill for the ďwhatnotsĒ that I spent very little on but use regularly and Iíve got a traeger that I got on sale and absolutely love. I enjoy something on the Traeger about once every two weeks or sooner and I enjoy something on the grill about once a week. If it were me, Iíd have both if you want the propane over the charcoal. A little Smokey lasts forever and takes up a small footprint. Itís the pellet grill that will take up space.

This is the best answer. Gas is good for grilling (Searing), and pellets are good for slow cooks/smoking. Also, my Traeger doesn't put out near enough smokey flavor. I could get my old gas smoker to make a much smokier flavor. We also have a charcoal grill and Traeger.
WItoTX is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 07:24 AM   #8
30-30
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hopkins County

Why not a standard offset smoker? Then you have the large cooking chamber for charcoal grilling and the fire box for low-n-slow smoking.
30-30 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 07:46 AM   #9
BlackHogDown
Ten Point

Hunt In: Duval County, Livingston

I second what was said above. I love the RecTec for brisket, chicken, ribs, etc. Even did macaroni in there for superbowl. It's essentially an easy-bake oven for grown men (and women).

For searing steaks, warming sausage, or cooking burgers, I have an 18" Old Smokey that I bought on sale at HEB before last summer for $25. That sucker gets hot and stays that way plenty long enough. Found some 12" leg extenders and it makes it a lot more practical.

Best of both worlds. For those of us with limited space, at least.

EDIT to add a tip: If you get the pellet grill, spend an extra $20 for the Amaze-N smoke tube. It's a must.

Last edited by BlackHogDown; Yesterday at 07:54 AM.
BlackHogDown is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 08:18 AM   #10
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

For quick, everyday convenience and healthy eating.....gas grills are great.

For really good stuff......cook over hot mesquite.

Pellet grills are for liberal hipsters in skinny jeans.
Burntorange Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 08:35 AM   #11
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

As long as you do your research and are willing to spend some $$ a pellet grill will do it all.

The Pitts & Spitts pellet grills will get to 650į for searing or fast cooking pizzas and it will get down low enough to cold smoke and pretty much anything in between.

Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 08:45 AM   #12
mjhaverkamp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cooke, Wilbarger, Foard Counties

I would have to go gas for the convenience, you can get a really cheap smoker and have both. A primo ceramic grill covers it all, takes a few minutes to get the fire going.
mjhaverkamp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 08:54 AM   #13
BlackHogDown
Ten Point

Hunt In: Duval County, Livingston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post

Ö Or young conservatives limited to a 36sf, third floor balcony who were raised on mesquite-smoked BBQ, refuse to eat soggy, oven-baked chicken, and also enjoy the occasional pork or beef rib

Can't do that on the gas grill!
Attached Images

BlackHogDown is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 09:08 AM   #14
cva34
Ten Point

Hunt In: LOOKING

Pellet is my choice ..Pit Boss has a grilling area on some models..I'm pretty sure other brands do.....I had mine about a year and its the best thing I ever owned...I Burned up several Gas grills over years..Still own a Lyfe Tyme off set..48x24 with fire box gona give it to daughter....Its not been used since I got Pit Boss..
Best thing about Pellet is set it on TEMP which is usually low so you don't have to turn meat.Put meat on and walk away...Check now and then so you dont run out of pellets..Mine is smaller and pellets make it for 3or 4 hours ...Cuz got a bigger one its good for 7h or so....
I thought Pellets would be more expensive...But my gut feel they aint...cause by time you buy charcoal / lighter and or wood....its about same...If ya gather your own wood then of course its cheaper

and I aint BURNED nothing since I got pellet stove

Last edited by cva34; Yesterday at 09:10 AM.
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 09:18 AM   #15
bowhuntz
Four Point

I have a pit boss and use it for everything. You can flame broil on it as well. Its been a great investment. You can set it and walk away instead of tending a fire. I love a real smoker but the pit boss is pretty cool
bowhuntz is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 09:21 AM   #16
bowhuntz
Four Point

Cool

Quote:

Or busy people that would rather tend to their cattle, farm or hunt instead of wasting time tending a fire for hours.
bowhuntz is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 09:30 AM   #17
WItoTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
As long as you do your research and are willing to spend some $$ a pellet grill will do it all.

The Pitts & Spitts pellet grills will get to 650į for searing or fast cooking pizzas and it will get down low enough to cold smoke and pretty much anything in between.

It isn't the temp, its the indirect heat that keeps pellet smokers form being grills. Even Pitts and Spits has this issue, or they did last year when we ultimately bought our Traeger. Maybe they have invented some way of creating direct heat since then.

Now if you are throwing a cast iron pan into the smoker, letting that get to 650 (Which means taking the food that is smoking off, cranking the smoker way up for 20 min so it's hot enough, waiting for cast iron to then heat up, then yes, it can sear. But 90% of people don't do that.
WItoTX is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 09:36 AM   #18
Smokeater
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhuntz View Post
I have a pit boss and use it for everything. You can flame broil on it as well. Its been a great investment. You can set it and walk away instead of tending a fire. I love a real smoker but the pit boss is pretty cool
Yep! The slide away cover on the convection tray opens up to sear over flame. Very handy. Been very pleased with it and at least half the price of some of the others.
Smokeater is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 09:46 AM   #19
DWV015
Four Point

Hunt In: Tom Green / Irion County & New Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhuntz View Post
Or busy people that would rather tend to their cattle, farm or hunt instead of wasting time tending a fire for hours.

Amen.....there is always that guy in every group when it comes to pellet grills. "Real men cook with mesquite and fire" - give me a break
DWV015 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 09:47 AM   #20
bullhead44
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by WItoTX View Post
This is the best answer. Gas is good for grilling (Searing), and pellets are good for slow cooks/smoking. Also, my Traeger doesn't put out near enough smokey flavor. I could get my old gas smoker to make a much smokier flavor. We also have a charcoal grill and Traeger.
try covering the smoke stack with foil. I have the traeger tailgator and I block the holes on top and get a lot more smoke flavor

per the original post, I have both and use the propane for burgers chicken and anything else I want to grill. use the pellet for smoking. I do use the pellet on as hot as it gets to do some things like country ribs and they have turned out good with a little smoke flavor, but not smoked
bullhead44 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 09:47 AM   #21
Jtrage
Eight Point

Hunt In: Cherokee County

As others mentioned, what is your priority in using it. If you do mostly burgers, hot dogs and quick foods like that a gas grill might be better. The only thing i don't like about the pellet is the preheat time. Although it isn't that bad. I have a weber q for hot dogs and burgers.

That being said I would go for a pellet grill as I use it more for steaks and such.
Jtrage is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 09:57 AM   #22
chadt1234
Four Point

I have a pellet grill, propane grill and a stick burner offset. Offset is only used for parties. Propane hasn't been used in 2 years. Get a pellet grill that can hit the high temps and call it a day. I can sear a steak at over 700 or slow smoke at under 200. Cant do that on propane. It's hard to even hit 600 on a propane grill.
chadt1234 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 10:57 AM   #23
MagicBlade
Eight Point

Hunt In: Archer County Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd350 View Post
Pellet grill. Canít get good smoke flavor with gas, and the pellet grill can be used without smoke so itís pretty much a gas grill
This!
MagicBlade is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 10:59 AM   #24
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Looking!

Stick burner unless you smoke everything. Nothing beats a mesquite charred ribeye.
Traildust is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 11:14 AM   #25
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

How in the hell does hunting interfere with using a smoker? Lol. The pitt is always going at the lease. Much easier than grilling every meal.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old Yesterday, 11:31 AM   #26
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by WItoTX View Post
It isn't the temp, its the indirect heat that keeps pellet smokers form being grills. Even Pitts and Spits has this issue, or they did last year when we ultimately bought our Traeger. Maybe they have invented some way of creating direct heat since then.

Now if you are throwing a cast iron pan into the smoker, letting that get to 650 (Which means taking the food that is smoking off, cranking the smoker way up for 20 min so it's hot enough, waiting for cast iron to then heat up, then yes, it can sear. But 90% of people don't do that.

The P&S has a slide over cover where you can open it up directly to the pot where the pellets are. You can get true searing with it.

Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 12:13 PM   #27
Jtrage
Eight Point

Hunt In: Cherokee County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
The P&S has a slide over cover where you can open it up directly to the pot where the pellets are. You can get true searing with it.

I think most have this now as it was a complaint from the beginning. My pitboss does.
Jtrage is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 12:24 PM   #28
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWV015 View Post
Amen.....there is always that guy in every group when it comes to pellet grills. "Real men cook with mesquite and fire" - give me a break
There's way more than one of us. However, i don't care what you use. I chose a real pit with real wood. I have acreage and time on Sunday.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old Yesterday, 12:34 PM   #29
treestand
Ten Point

Hunt In: Junction Texas

How much do pellets cost? Is the fuel cost of a pellet smoker comparable to charcoal or propane?

I have a gas grill for burgers, a charcoal grill (Weber) for steaks and chicken, and a small vertical propane driven smoker for briskets and such. I use mesquite cut at my deer lease with the smoker.
treestand is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 01:18 PM   #30
raw10628
Ten Point

I have a Green Mountain that I use for everything. I got rid of my propane grill after buying the Green Mountain. It cranks up to 500 degrees and with the use of grill grates you can get a great sear on steaks, chicken, pork chops or whatever else you want to grill. The grill grates are key though as they retain good heat. Much better flavor than propane grilling since you are using wood pellets. They don't add a lot when grilling but it's noticeable over propane. I also have the pizza attachment which runs $125 and provides direct heat to get the pizza stone up to 700-900 degrees or you can can also run your grill grates in the pizza oven attachment to get up to those higher temps.

It is a very versatile piece of equipment. I have no reason to ever own another gas grill. I am rarely trying to cook steaks or grill something when I'm smoking a brisket or other meats so I've never run into an issue of needing to take one off to do the other.
raw10628 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 04:17 PM   #31
Texans42
Ten Point

Any one have a Rec Tec?
Texans42 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 04:21 PM   #32
Chris Boger
Nubbin' Buck

Am happy with my Pit Boss pellet cooker from Academy
Chris Boger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 04:23 PM   #33
jhoite05
Eight Point

Hunt In: Bastrop Co.

I got a Traeger two weeks ago. I freaking love it.
jhoite05 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 04:34 PM   #34
BigThicketBoy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hardin Co

Pellet and a Webber for grilling.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
BigThicketBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 04:42 PM   #35
BigThicketBoy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThicketBoy View Post
Pellet and a Webber for grilling.

Lowe's in Baytown has a kamado Joe classic for $750 reg. 1200

Old Yesterday, 05:04 PM   #36
Chance Love
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country and South Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkV View Post
I know they are completely different but wanted yalls thoughts if you could only have one.

Have never had a smoker of any kind and only had propane. It came to the end of its life when moving and looking at getting something. Don't want to spend $1k on a pellet grille wishing I had propane still and then have to spend another $1k on a propane grille. So if you could only have one or the other which would you go with and why. Thanks for the help.
Pellet Grill. all the way. Not even close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans42 View Post
Any one have a Rec Tec?
Yes. We love it. Got the Stampede 570. Use it at least once a week. I did a ton of research on every brand I could find. Kept coming back to the Rec Tec.
Chance Love is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 06:03 PM   #37
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Can you use rabbit food in those things? How is the flavor?
Old Yesterday, 07:54 PM   #38
Skinny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montague County

Quote:
Can you use rabbit food in those things? How is the flavor?

Lmao

Skinny
Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 08:20 PM   #39
1riot1ranger
Eight Point

Hunt In: Gillespie County

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmlreiner View Post

This ^^ Love my Traeger. I've had all kinds of smokers and grills. If I want to grill I have a cheap charcoal grill and a wood pit but, the Traeger gets far more use.
1riot1ranger is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 08:39 PM   #40
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny View Post
Lmao

Skinny
Feed rabbits the fake wood pellets and put their crap in their for that extra "special" flavor.

LOL.
Old Yesterday, 08:43 PM   #41
Skinny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montague County

Quote:
Feed rabbits the fake wood pellets and put their crap in their for that extra "special" flavor.

LOL.

Man that would create a great bark!

Skinny
Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 08:48 PM   #42
MarkV
Pope & Young

Think I made a decision. Gonna get a smaller traeger than I was looking at and then get a small propane grill later if I feel I need one.
MarkV is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 08:49 PM   #43
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

All you need is a 100.00 barrel grill/smoker and a 150.00 gas grill bro. LOL.
Old Today, 01:49 AM   #44
mmlreiner
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kerr County, Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkV View Post
Think I made a decision. Gonna get a smaller traeger than I was looking at and then get a small propane grill later if I feel I need one.

Youíll be happy. Youíll probably still want the propane grill so Iíd keep an eye out for a great deal. I still couldnít have just the Traeger, I really enjoy having both options for whenever I want a good steak, hard seared on both sides. But Iíve made some crazy good stuff on my Traeger that I could have never done on the grill. Also, when you get the smoker always be on the lookout for pellet deals, they come and go but Iíve learned the better the pellet, they burn slower and leave less dust (which clogs your firebox up). I like the lumberjack pellets and keep an eye out for deals on all the different woods. Post oak is my go to, but Iíve accumulated fruit woods and some great pecan. They all pair well together.

mmlreiner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Today, 12:40 PM   #45
BigThicketBoy
Pope & Young

There's a Weber smoker in the classifieds right now