Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2019, 08:14 PM   #1
DapperDan
Pope & Young
 
DapperDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Tomball Tx
Hunt In: Texas
Default New Mexico draw

So, main question is when do you put in? I need to start sending in every year for New Mexico. I have private land I hunt in Colorado for elk and it holds some decent bulls but few and far in between like NM. So, would you recommend early archery or late archery? Also, is it better to put in with a guide and how exactly does that work? I know my units of interest 16a 16d 12 13 and 32. At least from a little research. If you draw without a guide, can you still hire a guide afterwards? New to NM elk. Cut my teeth on Colorado elk last year and interested in chasing a NM giant in a unit with satellites the size of the Colorado herd bulls we see.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2019, 08:21 PM   #2
ladrones
Pope & Young
 
ladrones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NM
Default

I will have to go into the mobility impaired pool this year. I have a lot of research to do.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ladrones is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2019, 08:29 PM   #3
Aggiehunter08
Pope & Young
 
Aggiehunter08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: West Texas
Hunt In: The World
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
So, main question is when do you put in? I need to start sending in every year for New Mexico. I have private land I hunt in Colorado for elk and it holds some decent bulls but few and far in between like NM. So, would you recommend early archery or late archery? Also, is it better to put in with a guide and how exactly does that work? I know my units of interest 16a 16d 12 13 and 32. At least from a little research. If you draw without a guide, can you still hire a guide afterwards? New to NM elk. Cut my teeth on Colorado elk last year and interested in chasing a NM giant in a unit with satellites the size of the Colorado herd bulls we see.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
According to my hunting spreadsheet the date deadline is 3/21/2019. If you're going to use an outfitter make them apply for you as your odds will increase via an outfitter. Lot of free info online on the Gila units. Good luck
Aggiehunter08 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2019, 08:52 PM   #4
Bassdeer
Ten Point
 
Bassdeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: The Colony
Default

If you want to hunt with in the next few years you better get a guide. I lived there for 6 years and put in the draw for bull elk in the same units 16A, B, and D and never got drawn, On the other hand I have had friends put in for the same units and got picked two years in a row. They have a screwed up system out there. Good Luck
Bassdeer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 08:32 AM   #5
ladrones
Pope & Young
 
ladrones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NM
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdeer View Post
If you want to hunt with in the next few years you better get a guide. I lived there for 6 years and put in the draw for bull elk in the same units 16A, B, and D and never got drawn, On the other hand I have had friends put in for the same units and got picked two years in a row. They have a screwed up system out there. Good Luck
Those are some tough draws.
ladrones is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 08:39 AM   #6
El General
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Houston
Hunt In: Coke County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdeer View Post
If you want to hunt with in the next few years you better get a guide. I lived there for 6 years and put in the draw for bull elk in the same units 16A, B, and D and never got drawn, On the other hand I have had friends put in for the same units and got picked two years in a row. They have a screwed up system out there. Good Luck
Every year before the draw I think New Mexico has a great system. Everyone has a chance!

After the draw, New Mexico sucks!
El General is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 08:52 AM   #7
Bassdeer
Ten Point
 
Bassdeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: The Colony
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by El General View Post
Every year before the draw I think New Mexico has a great system. Everyone has a chance!

After the draw, New Mexico sucks!
What sucks is even if you are a resident you have to enter the draw with everybody else. The bright side was after a few years you get to know the units that give you a better chance on drawing a tag.
Bassdeer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 09:14 AM   #8
charlesotto
Four Point
 
charlesotto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: West Point
Hunt In: Fayette
Default

When putting In for NM it is a $65.00 nonrefundable license correct? Do you have to pay up front for all your tags?
charlesotto is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 09:20 AM   #9
76aggie
Ten Point
 
76aggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Shady Shores, TX.
Hunt In: Irion Co.
Default

If you have an outfitter, your odds of drawing a tag a much greater than if you don't.
76aggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 09:24 AM   #10
WItoTX
Ten Point
 
WItoTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Katy
Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdeer View Post
What sucks is even if you are a resident you have to enter the draw with everybody else. The bright side was after a few years you get to know the units that give you a better chance on drawing a tag.
If you are a resident, you enter the resident pool (90% of tags allocated go to residents). If you are a non resident, you are in a different pool (10% of total tags allocated). Guided tags come out of those same respective buckets.

NM has the best system out there by far. Everyone has a equal shot every year!

Last edited by WItoTX; Yesterday at 09:24 AM. Reason: .
WItoTX is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 09:35 AM   #11
QuackerWacker83
Four Point
 
QuackerWacker83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Katy, TX
Hunt In: Kinney & Colorado counties.
Default

They changed it this year where you have to buy a non-refundable license every year just to apply. Similar to AZ but cheaper I think.

draw pools they pull from are..
84% Res
10% Outfitter
6% Non Res

On the fence on weather im going to continue to apply with this new fee.
QuackerWacker83 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 09:38 AM   #12
charlesotto
Four Point
 
charlesotto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: West Point
Hunt In: Fayette
Default

Do you have to pay up front for all your tags and if don't get drawn you get $ back?
charlesotto is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 09:47 AM   #13
bigchiefj
Six Point
 
bigchiefj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Tyler, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesotto View Post
Do you have to pay up front for all your tags and if don't get drawn you get $ back?
You get a refund if you don't draw. They withhold $13 for the application fee per species applied. They also charge $65 for a nonrefundable hunting license.

If you applied for 1 category unsuccessfully, you would spend $78.
bigchiefj is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 10:02 AM   #14
texas shag
Ten Point
 
texas shag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Argyle
Hunt In: East Texas, Old Mexico
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchiefj View Post
You get a refund if you don't draw. They withhold $13 for the application fee per species applied. They also charge $65 for a nonrefundable hunting license.

If you applied for 1 category unsuccessfully, you would spend $78.
To me it is asinine that they now want to keep the license fee when you can’t build preference points. Especially with the system so skewed towards residents already. I think I will buy landowner tags when I feel like hunting the state from now on, seeing as I haven’t been able to draw a tag in a quality unit for 8 straight years now.
texas shag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 10:28 AM   #15
Texans42
Ten Point
 
Texans42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: High plains
Default

ill pay the $65. Blue chip LO tags are 5k-12k
Texans42 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 10:48 AM   #16
donpablo
Ten Point
 
donpablo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Odessa
Hunt In: Iraan, Culberson County & Public Land
Question License

So can you then use that license for small game, varmints and birds?
donpablo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 11:13 AM   #17
bigchiefj
Six Point
 
bigchiefj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Tyler, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by donpablo View Post
So can you then use that license for small game, varmints and birds?
You can hunt small game with the $65 license. You still have to buy the appropriate stamps too if you actually go hunt whether successful in the draw or not.
bigchiefj is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 11:18 AM   #18
donpablo
Ten Point
 
donpablo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Odessa
Hunt In: Iraan, Culberson County & Public Land
Default

They have stamps for small game and birds?
donpablo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 01:27 PM   #19
elliscountyhog
Pope & Young
 
elliscountyhog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ennis,Tx
Hunt In: WG Outdoors on Facebook
Default

They are doing away with NR Bow Elk tags this year. No need for anyone to apply.
elliscountyhog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 03:45 PM   #20
Texans42
Ten Point
 
Texans42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: High plains
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliscountyhog View Post
They are doing away with NR Bow Elk tags this year. No need for anyone to apply.
All the Gila units still have NR allocation, probably the best odds NR will ever see since the allocation change!!! You would have to be a fool not to apply there for all three choices.
Texans42 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 04:16 PM   #21
Chris Boger
Nubbin' Buck
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Default

About ten years without drawing, but it still seems like it’s worth trying.
Chris Boger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 04:39 PM   #22
elliscountyhog
Pope & Young
 
elliscountyhog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ennis,Tx
Hunt In: WG Outdoors on Facebook
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans42 View Post
All the Gila units still have NR allocation, probably the best odds NR will ever see since the allocation change!!! You would have to be a fool not to apply there for all three choices.
Nope no need to apply. They said no NR license to be drawn this year especially the Gila.
elliscountyhog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 04:57 PM   #23
CrossTimbers
Ten Point
 
CrossTimbers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Rockwall, TX
Hunt In: Brown County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliscountyhog View Post
Nope no need to apply. They said no NR license to be drawn this year especially the Gila.
I second this. Stay the hell out of my unit.
CrossTimbers is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 06:31 PM   #24
Texans42
Ten Point
 
Texans42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: High plains
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliscountyhog View Post
Nope no need to apply. They said no NR license to be drawn this year especially the Gila.

No sir you missed the “ALL” .... NR rags are Gila tags,

Gila also had record snow fall, expects 50 plus 400”er to come out of the Gila’s this year
Texans42 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 06:38 PM   #25
TWP
Ten Point
 
TWP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: San Angelo, TX
Hunt In: San Angelo
Default

Mods, please shut this thread down!!!

There are no elk in the Lower 48 besides southwest Colorado. Move along people, get back to making "rant" threads and talking about other non hunting related topics.
TWP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 06:44 PM   #26
Texans42
Ten Point
 
Texans42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: High plains
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP View Post
Mods, please shut this thread down!!!

There are no elk in the Lower 48 besides southwest Colorado. Move along people, get back to making "rant" threads and talking about other non hunting related topics.
They went up on thier license fees also... but best bulls and herd numbers are north west, only and idiot would hunt southwest, to dry and to steep. Gohunt says north west is 127% success, not including “B” tags, 110:2 bull to call ratio
Texans42 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 06:52 PM   #27
tdwinklr
Eight Point
 
tdwinklr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Leonard, TX
Hunt In: N. Central and N. East TX
Default

what's the deadline for applications/entries ?
tdwinklr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 09:26 PM   #28
TWP
Ten Point
 
TWP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: San Angelo, TX
Hunt In: San Angelo
Default

But to the OP, even Gila hunts are no gimmies! You had better know how elk move through an area and know how they react when they get pressure. And there are NOT big bulls everywhere and the satellites can be pretty dang small too. With that said, they can be great hunts. I’ve hunted 15 twice and helped in 13 for a buddy.

Here is something to think about. 16D gives out 55 and 50 tags total for their archery hunts. So let’s take the late September tag, 50 tags with 6% or 3 tags go to non guided non residents. I believe there were over 570 first choice applicants in that pool for a draw odds chance of a whopping 0.5% chance. With a contract with a guide that will give you 5 total tags at 10%, BUT on that hunt code they actually had 660+ people put in with an outfitter. Which is often NOT the case, but it puts you in at a 0.7% chance to draw. So technically, not much of a gain on that particular hunt code. But for most glory units it is dang near a once in a lifetime tag, so I’d say spend the extra coin and better your odds with the outfitter.

Also, just because the hunt codes say 50 tags, if the unit has a big chunk of private, there can be a lot more tag holders with the landowner vouchers. And most of those guys have the best guides with them as well.
TWP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Today, 11:16 AM   #29
elliscountyhog
Pope & Young
 
elliscountyhog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ennis,Tx
Hunt In: WG Outdoors on Facebook
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdwinklr View Post
what's the deadline for applications/entries ?
It expired. (March 31 I think)
elliscountyhog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Today, 11:17 AM   #30
elliscountyhog
Pope & Young
 
elliscountyhog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ennis,Tx
Hunt In: WG Outdoors on Facebook
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliscountyhog View Post
Nope no need to apply. They said no NR license to be drawn this year EXCEPT the Gila.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans42 View Post
No sir you missed the “ALL” .... NR rags are Gila tags,

Gila also had record snow fall, expects 50 plus 400”er to come out of the Gila’s this year
You are correct. I fixed it.
elliscountyhog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com