Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old Yesterday, 11:57 AM   #51
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by cehorn View Post
Just did a quick google search and depending on what card it is and obviously condition, the Ryan rookies range from ~$300 to $25k (I doubt it but it comes up)
Thank you. I have locked in a safe with a dehumidifer. I think it is mint but I'm not sure I would hang $10,000 on it. I have not pulled it out in a while so I don't even know what card it is.

I have several others, but I'm not a collector. I just accidentally held onto these since I was in junior high school.
Dusty Britches is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 12:13 PM   #52
7sdad
Ten Point

Hunt In: Looking

My son was born in 1989 and I got him a box of Rookie cards each year for Christmas. They are still un-opened boxes and there should be a lot of good players in those but maybe his soon to be new son will enjoy them one of these days.
7sdad is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 12:17 PM   #53
jshouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NE Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45 ACP View Post
I used to collect during that same time period. Nowadays you wont get much of anything unless they are graded by a company like PSA. PSA seems to bring the most money and of course the higher the grade, the higher the price.

There is a Nolan Ryan rookie PSA 9 on EBAY right now for close to $7K. My suggestion is pick a few of your favorites and if they look to be in excellent condition (corners, centering ect) send them to PSA and have them graded. Then they will be worth something. Or you then have a graded card to hand down to your kids.
Will PSA buy them or are they just a grading service?
jshouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 12:30 PM   #54
kurt68
Ten Point

Hunt In: Montgomery Co. and Rocksprings and "H"

Quote:
Originally Posted by txwhitetail View Post
I feel your pain. Probably $10 worth lol.

I guess Ill give all mine to my kids. Couple Jordan rookie cards are best I have.
You do know that a Michael Jordan Rookie mint condition is worth $100,000?
kurt68 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 12:52 PM   #55
Rwc
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath View Post
My nephews (5th and 7th grade) got into our cards and now trading / selling them at school. It does my heart good to see them and their friends getting involved with the cards.
Yes sir, Breck is in that mix with them. I handed over all mine to him for trade bait.............

Rwc
Rwc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 01:24 PM   #56
Texastaxi
Pope & Young

Hunt In: now accepting invitations!

Not to hijack, but I have a few complete sets, in binders, and I think some loose cards too. Early 90s. I have never watched baseball, so I don't even know why I bought them.

Anyway, I found them in my dads shop when I was cleaning it out. I was going to add them to the dumpster next time I went. If anyone here wants them, send me a PM. Pickup in the Houston area would be nice, but I'll ship them on your dime.
Texastaxi is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 03:00 PM   #57
Anvilheadtexas
Ten Point

Hunt In: Barnum (Polk County)

Perhaps Dale you could invent some type of card game that results in the destruction of the played card and over time the cards left may have some value? Kinda like the old card in the bicycle spoke trick!
Anvilheadtexas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 03:35 PM   #58
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45 ACP View Post
I used to collect during that same time period. Nowadays you wont get much of anything unless they are graded by a company like PSA. PSA seems to bring the most money and of course the higher the grade, the higher the price.

There is a Nolan Ryan rookie PSA 9 on EBAY right now for close to $7K. My suggestion is pick a few of your favorites and if they look to be in excellent condition (corners, centering ect) send them to PSA and have them graded. Then they will be worth something. Or you then have a graded card to hand down to your kids.
What's PSA and how do I find them?
Dusty Britches is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 04:13 PM   #59
Boyd1212
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wise, SanSaba, and Jack County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
I did too. Every time we stopped at a gas station when I was a kid, to get dad a 6 pack and a payday, and me a butterfinger and a Dr Pepper, he'd let me grab a pack or two. When I started working when I was 10, every Friday on the way home mom would take me to the card shop in Keller. It was owned by a jackass old yankee named Harry Meagher, but I think before that it was owned by an old bricklayer named Pick. Pick was a good dude, last I heard he was working for my now competition in the stone business.

Looking back through them has brought back a lot of good old memories.

I think I'm gonna keep most of the sets, and the ones pictured....just because.

I'll give away the rest, probably something decent in them too. Probably not many that kids now would recognize though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
man I remember the card shop in Keller. Been a long time. Used to live down the road from golden burger growing up.
Boyd1212 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 04:26 PM   #60
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd1212 View Post
man I remember the card shop in Keller. Been a long time. Used to live down the road from golden burger growing up.

That would've put you right behind the greatness of Jr's Café. Golden burger finally went ahead and change the name, they are now a Vietnamese restaurant. There's a gun store in there now called Bear Creek firearms, but I have not stopped.

Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 04:41 PM   #61
Gclyde28
Eight Point

Quote:
Mom and Dad are remodeling and I was summoned to come get some of my old junk...

No Honus Wagner T206 in the bunch, mostly just a bunch from the Mid 80s through early 90s.

4 or 5 Topps complete sets 87-91 one still in wrapping, '86, '87,'88, and '89 Topps Traded sets, these years have a bunch of hall of famers in them.

30 or 40 different Will Clark cards from rookie to 92 or so
Buncha Bo Jackson

There's probably a bunch of Barry Bonds stuff in there, but I don't know because I didn't like him so I didn't seperate.

There are a few thousand random Topps, Donruss, and Fleer cards all in cases. Some Upper Deck and others.

A couple late 70s Nolan Ryan, Dennis Eckersley RC, Juan Marichal RC

A bunch of Becketts from late 80s and 90s with cool covers. Bo, Nolan, Michael Jordan, etc..

I know they aren't worth much if anything, just kinda looking for a little direction if there's somewhere to unload stuff like this as a lot? Or if any of that stuff rings any bells and someone here might want it.

I'd carry it all to a shop, but I'm sure they'd just offer me 20 bucks, and I have no grounds to really argue?

I was sure all this stuff would be worth a fortune by now, but I'd sure rather have what I spent on it. Any direction would be appreciated.
Found all my old baseball cards in a box around Christmas Time at my parents. I remember a couple cards that were in the $30-50 range when I got them 20 years ago. Checked the value on them now and they were $1.80 and $2.10 respectively. I shut the box and thought about all my parents money I wasted on those **** things.
Gclyde28 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 04:45 PM   #62
BigWes
Eight Point

Hunt In: Grimes County

Quote:

Bo was everyone's guy.

Good memories right there. I have the Bo Breaker, the b/w Bo card and that Nolan Ryan Angels card in my stack.
BigWes is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top