No announcement yet.

Somerville PHL 18-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am thinking about trying to hunt on Yegua section next year. Had a few questions for you guys. I’m trying to get somethings figured out so I can get things together and do some scouting next year. Can you leave your stand up for the season? Also what type of stands do most of y’all use? Thanks in advance any other advice or tips would be appreciated. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by DeanvilleHunter View Post
      I am thinking about trying to hunt on Yegua section next year. Had a few questions for you guys. I’m trying to get somethings figured out so I can get things together and do some scouting next year. Can you leave your stand up for the season? Also what type of stands do most of y’all use? Thanks in advance any other advice or tips would be appreciated. Thanks
      Hello, this is my first year to hunt out there so I’m definitely not an expert like a lot of these guys.

The rule in the public hunting handbook is you have to remove your stand every 72 hours. Most people don’t follow this rule.. I would be more worried about people stealing your stand if you left it out there for a long period of time without using it. I use a climber and I’ve taken mine out of the woods and back in but it’s a climber so it’s easy. I also lock my climber to the tree when I leave it.

Personally, I would recommend a hang-on stand with climbing sticks to use out there. You can use a climber but there aren’t many trees to climb high enough out there because of branches. Another nice thing about using a hang-on stand with climbing sticks is that you can remove the bottom climbing stick and no one can hunt your stand and it would be a lot less likely to get stolen as well. I’m personally not a fan of ground blinds but those are easy to setup and remove but you would really have to camo that up.

Just try and get off the beaten path. Stay away from other hunters and their stands as much as possible. If you think it looks like a good hunting area then there is likely to be a stand there so have numerous areas in mind to scout. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Comment

Originally posted by DeanvilleHunter View Post
        I would recommend using a lock-on and climbing sticks. There aren't enough trees void of low branches to justify using a climber. Ground blinds can work, too, whether pop-ups or just blending into some thick vegetation.

The rules state that you can't leave your stand up more than 72 hours (3 days). I believe the intent of this rule is to prevent a hunter from permanently claiming an area and keeping other hunters from using it. A lot of hunters on Somerville don't follow the 72 hour rule, though. I hunt where I want to, regardless of if there is a stand there already or not. If nobody's in the stand when I walk up then I'll hunt somewhere in the general area (not out of their actual stand, though). If someone is in the stand, I quietly move along and find another place a few hundred yards away. A lot of guys will disagree with hunting an area where there is already someone else's stand, but hunting public land is supposed to be first come, first serve. If they expect to have their own little private spot because they left a stand up all season long, then they need to get a deer lease and stop hunting public land.

I'd try to do your scouting in the off-season. If you aren't seeing deer where you are at and want to find a new area during the season, I'd scout for it midday and, if possible, on a weekday.

It isn't easy hunting out there, but there's a fair amount of deer and some good bucks (in 2 years I've yet to get one, though). Good luck!

Comment

Creeks caught about 4 inches or more. They are flowing and the lake has already come up about 2 feet in the last 24 hours.

Comment

Here to tell ya 124 you ain't touching for a few weeks couldnt go past oil well water to road on both sides of road....seasons done

Comment

Originally posted by GD47 View Post
              Here to tell ya 124 you ain't touching for a few weeks couldnt go past oil well water to road on both sides of road....seasons done
              I wouldn't say the season is over, but not back down till the 15th.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by AdventureBoy View Post
                I wouldn't say the season is over, but not back down till the 15th.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
                Less then a month left it will take a week for my area to become huntable lol it's over hahahah

Comment

Originally posted by rattler03 View Post
                  I would recommend using a lock-on and climbing sticks. There aren't enough trees void of low branches to justify using a climber. Ground blinds can work, too, whether pop-ups or just blending into some thick vegetation.

The rules state that you can't leave your stand up more than 72 hours (3 days). I believe the intent of this rule is to prevent a hunter from permanently claiming an area and keeping other hunters from using it. A lot of hunters on Somerville don't follow the 72 hour rule, though. I hunt where I want to, regardless of if there is a stand there already or not. If nobody's in the stand when I walk up then I'll hunt somewhere in the general area (not out of their actual stand, though). If someone is in the stand, I quietly move along and find another place a few hundred yards away. A lot of guys will disagree with hunting an area where there is already someone else's stand, but hunting public land is supposed to be first come, first serve. If they expect to have their own little private spot because they left a stand up all season long, then they need to get a deer lease and stop hunting public land.

I'd try to do your scouting in the off-season. If you aren't seeing deer where you are at and want to find a new area during the season, I'd scout for it midday and, if possible, on a weekday.

It isn't easy hunting out there, but there's a fair amount of deer and some good bucks (in 2 years I've yet to get one, though). Good luck!
                  The 72 hr is easily fixed read other post all I have to do it remove my ladder set it on the ground and put it back up every 72 doesnt "claim" a area but if most would know the area it's not hard to figure out who hunts where if you see a stand YOU dont k pw if it was put up the day before or months ago... be respectful if you see a stand that's not full of leaves and looks like someone hunts it just move on no need to be the normal "public land guy"

Comment

The 72 hr is easily fixed read other post all I have to do it remove my ladder set it on the ground and put it back up every 72 doesnt "claim" a area but if most would know the area it's not hard to figure out who hunts where if you see a stand YOU dont k pw if it was put up the day before or months ago... be respectful if you see a stand that's not full of leaves and looks like someone hunts it just move on no need to be the normal "public land guy"
                    The rule says, "commits an offense if that person leaves a hunting blind, stand, tower, or platform in place for more than 72 hours ..." That sounds to me like it can't be in the same tree, or spot, for more than 72 hours whether you visit it and remove the ladder in the 71st hour, or not. But, if the the local game warden interprets it the other way then, I guess, it is their opinion that really matters. I doubt many hunters have the time to drive out there and walk into their stand every 3 days, anyways, unless they live or work within a few minutes of the property.

None of that changes the fact that if I get there first then it is my right to hunt that spot if I want to, regardless of any existing stands that may already be there. Now, most of the time I will move along if it looks like someone else has recently been hunting that stand, but if there's hot sign there and I want to hunt it then I'll do so. Again, walk-in public land hunting spots are first come, first serve.

If you think that by leaving your unoccupied stand out in the woods (legally or illegally) you can dictate where another hunter can and cannot hunt, you are just plain wrong. The first person that is physically there has the right to the spot. I find it odd that you would infer I'm doing something wrong by actually following the rules. The person that is being inconsiderate of other hunters is the one that leaves his stand out there and forces everyone else to try to determine whether or not that guy is going to be hunting it today.

And, I'm curious, what is the "normal public land guy"?

Comment

Did anyone else notice that the public hunting book says January 20th as the end of bowhunting whitetail? Just curious if that’s incorrect or if they extended the season just for Somerville PHL?

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug1076 View Post
                        Did anyone else notice that the public hunting book says January 20th as the end of bowhunting whitetail? Just curious if that’s incorrect or if they extended the season just for Somerville PHL?
                        Sunday, January 6th, is the last day of the general season, and January 7th through January 20th is the extended doe/spike season. However, you can only shoot a doe at Somerville PHL during bow season, so the 2-week extended doe/spike season is essentially a spike (at least 1 unbranched antler) only season for the PHL.

I really wish they would allow us to shoot a doe during the general season or at least part of the general season. I think the population out there would allow for an extended doe season.

Comment

Sunday, January 6th, is the last day of the general season, and January 7th through January 20th is the extended doe/spike season. However, you can only shoot a doe at Somerville PHL during bow season, so the 2-week extended doe/spike season is essentially a spike (at least 1 unbranched antler) only season for the PHL.

I really wish they would allow us to shoot a doe during the general season or at least part of the general season. I think the population out there would allow for an extended doe season.
                          Got it. Thank you.

Comment

The rule says, "commits an offense if that person leaves a hunting blind, stand, tower, or platform in place for more than 72 hours ..." That sounds to me like it can't be in the same tree, or spot, for more than 72 hours whether you visit it and remove the ladder in the 71st hour, or not. But, if the the local game warden interprets it the other way then, I guess, it is their opinion that really matters. I doubt many hunters have the time to drive out there and walk into their stand every 3 days, anyways, unless they live or work within a few minutes of the property.

None of that changes the fact that if I get there first then it is my right to hunt that spot if I want to, regardless of any existing stands that may already be there. Now, most of the time I will move along if it looks like someone else has recently been hunting that stand, but if there's hot sign there and I want to hunt it then I'll do so. Again, walk-in public land hunting spots are first come, first serve.

If you think that by leaving your unoccupied stand out in the woods (legally or illegally) you can dictate where another hunter can and cannot hunt, you are just plain wrong. The first person that is physically there has the right to the spot. I find it odd that you would infer I'm doing something wrong by actually following the rules. The person that is being inconsiderate of other hunters is the one that leaves his stand out there and forces everyone else to try to determine whether or not that guy is going to be hunting it today.

And, I'm curious, what is the "normal public land guy"?
                            My info comes from Adam himself about the stand being there for 72 hrs and only needing to have a part taken down... and the "normal public land guy" is what you seem to be... it's a respect factor that the newer people have not cared about most of us have hunted same areas for years and respect people area those who dont put the work in and walk around looking for stand to hunt and trust me I know of 3 guys who do that which is lazy and disrespectful since they love leaving there trash and stealing cameras.... if been hunting this place for 10 yrs and the younger crowd is nothing less then disrespectful... I understand public is public but have some respect

Comment

Again wrong info.... the season is until Jan 20th your allowed a buck 13in or greater or a spike.... theres no special rule is general season till the 20th

Comment

My info comes from Adam himself about the stand being there for 72 hrs and only needing to have a part taken down... and the "normal public land guy" is what you seem to be... it's a respect factor that the newer people have not cared about most of us have hunted same areas for years and respect people area those who dont put the work in and walk around looking for stand to hunt and trust me I know of 3 guys who do that which is lazy and disrespectful since they love leaving there trash and stealing cameras.... if been hunting this place for 10 yrs and the younger crowd is nothing less then disrespectful... I understand public is public but have some respect
                                I don't hunt out of someone else's stand, leave trash out, steal cameras, etc. and I think those actions are as wrong as you do, but that's not what we are talking about here. As far as respect, I think it is disrespectful to leave a stand out there and force other hunters to try to determine whether or not that guy is going to come in and hunt it that day or not. Just because I choose to hunt mobile by taking my stand in and out every hunt and you leave your stand out there does not give you the right to the area. It doesn't mean you've put in any more work than I have, either. If anybody is lazy, its the guy that leaves his stand out all season long. Its a lot more work to take your stand in and out every hunt, or every 72 hours, like you are supposed to. And, the vast majority of stands left out are not being visited every 72 hours because most hunters don't have the time to do that. You say that you are doing so and I believe you, I have no reason not to, but most guys aren't able to do that.

The first person to physically get to the area each day has the right to hunt it, and out of respect the second guy there should move along a few hundred yards and disturb the other hunter as little as possible. That's how public land walk-in hunting is supposed to work, plain and simple, to infer otherwise is just wrong.

Someone that has hunted out there 10 years has no more right to a spot than the new kid that is walking into the hunt area for the first time. Its like fishing, if you pull up and I've already got my boat over a fishing spot that you've used for years then you are going to have to wait for me to leave before you fish there too. Its a public lake, just like Somerville is a public hunt area. Its common courtesy that the first guy there gets the spot until he chooses to leave. I don't understand why that's so hard for some people to understand.

Comment

Working...
                                X