Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ever found anything hidden in the woods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drove into the bottoms at Lake Lavon to do some night fishing. Back in the 70's you could drive onto corp land. Anyway, that one night I drove smack dab into a Klan meeting.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
      Drove into the bottoms at Lake Lavon to do some night fishing. Back in the 70's you could drive onto corp land. Anyway, that one night I drove smack dab into a Klan meeting.
      Oh man. That would be a bit unnerving and unforgettable.

Comment

All I can think of is O Brother Where Art Thou

Comment

Several years ago I was out walking my dogs one evening quite a ways from home. There was undeveloped farm land in the middle of a business park as well as surrounding it. At that time farm crops were still being grown there. On the east side there’s a paved section about a half mile long. Due to the tall corn crop growing, I couldn’t see the crowd of people standing on the far south end of that straightaway until I stepped to the south edge of the corn field. I kept low just to observe and listen to what was going on. It was all African American folks and they were placing cash bets on amateur corvette drag races right on that location. Heard more than one driver mention a check engine light had come on from racing each other hard. That was the only time I ever saw that same group of people out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Worksalot View Post
            Oh man. That would be a bit unnerving and unforgettable.
            I had 2 things going for me. Color and one of them that came up to my truck was my barber. Hearing the lions and tigers roaring down there was more unnerving though. That would raise the hair on your neck.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
              A few years back we were trailing a pig through some thick brush on a friend's property and came across something that looked man-made. After clearing the leaves we found what looks like a grinding table - a "matate" - cut into a chunk of sandstone. It is about 10"x14" and 6" deep. We have talked about going back and doing some artifact digging but have not gotten around to it.

[ATTACH]932743[/ATTACH]

I have a very similar rock on my lease that has multiple bowls ground in it. I want to dig around up there and just haven’t. It’s the last high ridge above the Colorado River. We call it the Indian camp rock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Love these threads. Back in the mid 90's me and some friends were riding dirt bikes at Boykin Springs in the Angelina National Forest and came across a pack of cigarettes that somebody had dropped on the trail. Being teenagers, we immediately opened it up and found a joint in it. We were so young we didn't smoke it but we did light it to see what it smelled like lol.

Another time, we found poachers hunting the pipeline and were threatened with the possibility of being shot at. We got the he!! out of there in a hurry.

Comment

While hunting for a rogue bull on the neighbors place I found three gravestones of little girls. All died in successive years. Not too far away was a large pile of cut stones. I called the gentleman who owned the property again and asked him if he would be willing to sell me some cut rocks off the place. He lived in Arizona, so he responded with "you want to buy some rocks?". I told him they had been cut and I would be willing to pay for them. He said "knock yourself out, but I don't need any money for rocks". I found the capstone to the chimney and the two matching stones that went on either side of it. The hearth stone was huge, and I was hoping to find the fireplace arm but never found any metal objects. I hauled a bunch to my place and was able to bring enough to build an outdoor fireplace. I know there was a family there at one time in the late 1800's, so those stones are reborn in my backyard.

Comment

My wife's family has been on the same property in the Bardwell area since the late 1880's when they came off the boat from Czechoslovakia. In the mid 60's, the Army Corps of Engineers decided they wanted to build a reservoir just east of our property. One of the many elevation points was on our property. Many years of cultivated crops had dislodged and hidden the marker. We found it when we were clearing cropland to build my house. I saved it but haven't "re-planted" it in the ground yet. Ill take a pic and load it this evening. I think its pretty cool; my father in-law just said it was junk and (insert rant on federal government taking over their land for surveying here...) he said to throw it off the bridge, into the lake, so they can see how far off the mark they were!!!

Comment

I had 2 things going for me. Color and one of them that came up to my truck was my barber. Hearing the lions and tigers roaring down there was more unnerving though. That would raise the hair on your neck.
                      Pretty sure I know right where you were at. Spent many nights crappie fishing there and listening to those lions roar.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBeaster View Post
                        Pretty sure I know right where you were at. Spent many nights crappie fishing there and listening to those lions roar.
                        Had some good times down in there.

Comment

Found an old stone building

Comment

Originally posted by TheBeaster View Post
                            Say what?!

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter_2 View Post
                              Say what?!
                              There was a guy up on the hill that trained lions and tigers for the circus's. Them suckers would either roar or be kind of loud purring all the time. It would get your attention real quick.

Comment

There is a cat sanctuary behind the dam across the street from the project office. You can hear the cats if you are in the lake, it is a popular anchor and swim place when the wind is out of the south. The big cats make noises that will make the hair on your neck stand up.

Comment

Working...
                                X