Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deer cooler build ideas?

Need to build a new cooler...

How would yall go about building one, to include ease of clean up inside? I got ideas, but interested to know what yall have done.

Coolbot

Comment

Make sure it is a permanent structure. If it is a fridge or the like TPWD frowns upon it. Best of luck and post pics.

Comment

Originally posted by CrookedArrow View Post
        Make sure it is a permanent structure. If it is a fridge or the like TPWD frowns upon it. Best of luck and post pics.
        My mom use to frown on the things I did on my dirt bike, but it break any laws.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BigThicketBoy View Post
          My mom use to frown on the things I did on my dirt bike, but it break any laws.

I speak from experience. My buddy got a ticket for that and not displaying the lease license severla yrs ago. He was using an upright freezer.

Facilities
          A cold storage or processing facility may be established anywhere, including on property where hunting is conducted. It must be stationary and designed to process and/or store wild game. A vehicle, trailer, or other mobile storage or processing arrangement IS NOT lawful.

Comment

So I can't hang and age in a refrigerator at my house?

Comment

Originally posted by BigThicketBoy View Post
              So I can't hang and age in a refrigerator at my house?

Yes you can, the meat has reached its final destination. I think there was more to the story about the freezer as a “cooler storage”. Either the game warden was having a bad day or the deer was processed beyond the 4 quarters. I don’t know though I was not there. But I’ve seen coolers on skids and never had an issue with any wardens so I don’t know.

Comment

We did something very similar

Comment

Originally posted by Mac View Post
                  Yes you can, the meat has reached its final destination. I think there was more to the story about the freezer as a “cooler storage”. Either the game warden was having a bad day or the deer was processed beyond the 4 quarters. I don’t know though I was not there. But I’ve seen coolers on skids and never had an issue with any wardens so I don’t know.
                  Or......maybe the up right fridge was illegal???

Comment

Or......maybe the up right fridge was illegal???
                    Did he fight it? A fridge/freezer isn’t really mobile seeing as how it has to remain plugged in to the wall.

Comment

We use 4" cooler panels for the walls and roof on a plywood / 2x12 base covered in panseal on the inside. Use a ceiling hung evaporator/fan unit from Bohn or similar and you can use any condensing unit that is sized properly on the outside. Ours has two rows of pipe with meat hooks to hang deer and we have shelves for other items. We wash ours out with a hose/pinesol/brush every weekend and have had zero issues with the sealer. Ours runs from opening day through season close.
                      Last edited by -HIC-; 02-21-2019, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
                        https://youtu.be/wfoQRLolSQs
                        We did something very similar
                        I may very well have to look into something like this. I have this exact shed in my backyard but will have a new wooden storage shed by months end. I was just gonna give the old one away but now I have a different idea....thanks for posting that

Comment

Originally posted by Mac View Post
                          Did he fight it? A fridge/freezer isn’t really mobile seeing as how it has to remain plugged in to the wall.
                          Yes he did. He lost. Lost his hunting rights for 10 yrs and paid restitution of 2,800 dollars

Comment

Yes he did. He lost. Lost his hunting rights for 10 yrs and paid restitution of 2,800 dollars

Wow....Thats a little stiff. Cant hunt for 10yrs because of a freezer? I can see maybe the money, but DANG!!

Comment

Had to more to the story.
                              My BIL got caught with a two freezer full of deer plus they knew he was poaching deer out of a city park and his punishment wasn't near that severe.

Comment

Working...
                              X