Cottonseed and axis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cottonseed and axis

Ok. Has anyone fed cottonseed to axis and if so, how long and we're there any adverse effects?

Doing research I see there could be adverse effects on non native game and before I get it for my wt, it needs to be safe for my axis too, any help is greatly appreciated!

Comment

They eat it and outside of a pen, I doubt they'd ever consume enough of it to lead to any sterility issues.

Comment

As long as Cottonseed isn't there only source of food, there is no reason to be worried about sterility. I've never tried to attract Axis with cottonseed but I imagine if you get them to try it, they would like it. Just a guess; I'm not sure how cottonseed appeals to a grazer vs. a browser.

Comment

It's actually not so much the sterility by itself as the antler development (or lack of)

Comment

Lyssy and eckle have some info on their site that refers to some research regarding fallow and red deer. A study showed that the antler AND sperm development was decreased by close to 50%.

Comment

Originally posted by mmlreiner View Post
              It's actually not so much the sterility by itself as the antler development (or lack of)
              Whole cottonseed is high in protein as well as fat, and helps grow antlers (from what I understand, and that's in regards to WT)

Comment

I've got WT and axis and feed cottonseed. The WT tear it up, they love the stuff, axis will eat it a very little bit on my place

Comment

Originally posted by az2tx View Post
                  I've got WT and axis and feed cottonseed. The WT tear it up, they love the stuff, axis will eat it a very little bit on my place
                  Could you give me an idea of your setup? About how many acres are you managing, how many cottonseed pens and how much are you going through approximately a month?

Comment

1140 acres, 12 feeders consumption depends on native vegetation growth

Comment

Got it.

Comment

Working...
                      X