Food Plot vs Protien Feed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Food Plot vs Protien Feed

I know that both is best. But if you can only do one and want the most cost effective way to get deer protein what would you chose? I can irrigate so rain is not a factor.

food plots over protein IMO, both financially and for your herd's health.

Comment

If you can irrigate I would say food plots all the way.

Comment

Protein. Food plots are dependent on timely rain

Comment

As stated above. Food plots are best but cant guarantee their success unless you can control water to them and other environmental factors.

Comment

Originally posted by gmac View Post
            As stated above. Food plots are best but cant guarantee their success unless you can control water to them and other environmental factors.
            As stated above. The OP can irrigate.

Comment

Since you can irrigate.......food plots for sure.

Comment

It all depends on the location you are in and the soils you have. There are some areas with really good sandy loam/clay soils, which can grow about anything, but you will still need rainfall. If you have the soils and are in an area that gets good rainfall (East of I35), then I would go with food plots. If you don't have great soils and don't get good rainfall, I would use protein. Food plots will always be better than protein if you can grow them bc food plots are bigger and you don't have to worry about bucks dominating a feeder. Also, studies have shown that deer are natural browsers and will eat more forage out of a food plot than they will protein out of a tube. We are going to try to do some fall food plots this next fall and will continue to feed protein year-round bc our soils aren't great and rainfall is hit or miss in our area.

Comment

Food plot, I would do a plant a mixture of plants though.

Comment

If you can irrigate then Food Plots all the way. You will produce much more tonnage of food and feed many more animals in a more natural environment.

Comment

Food plots year round with multiple varieties of plants.

Comment

Originally posted by Corn Sack View Post
                        As stated above. The OP can irrigate.
                        Yup missed that. Thanks for the prompt correction.

Comment

Food plots all the way. Initial cost is high but long term saves so much money and frankly it more comfortable and natural for the animals. (if done right)

Food plots - .5 to 2 ac, not square or circle. no right angles or straight lines in nature.
                          Think rough edges with cover inside the food plot. piled up trees. strips of natural tall grasses. Big bucks don't like exposure. Plant summer, fall, and winter annuals. Spring or fall plant perennials. Fruit trees around the edges of the food plot help to bring wary bucks in.
                          Bedding areas - Put your plot strategically close—from 100 to 200 yards—to prime doe bedding cover (e.g., grassy fields or areas with scattered cedars, pines, and honeysuckle), and twice that distance from thicker, more rugged and remote buck beds. A funnel with good cover leading from beds to feed seals the deal.
                          Pick good stand locations based on wind and sun location. Make sure the food plot site offers good stand trees for both bow and gun hunting. Look for potential staging areas to catch a buck waiting for dark to enter.

Comment

My deer must not know that there aren't supposed to be right angles or straight lines. All my plots are square, along with the highline ROW and straight fence lines they treat like highways.

Sometimes i wonder if we overthink deer management.

Comment

Originally posted by Sippy View Post
                              My deer must not know that there aren't supposed to be right angles or straight lines. All my plots are square, along with the highline ROW and straight fence lines they treat like highways.

Sometimes i wonder if we overthink deer management.
                              I was kinda thinking the samething

Comment

Working...
                              X