Bisch

Comment

Looks good Rick

Comment

They look super nice. A job well done.

Comment

Those are really nice.

Comment

I had a rattlesnake skin many years ago. As it aged the scales began to fall off. How do you prevent that, or can you?

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
                I had a rattlesnake skin many years ago. As it aged the scales began to fall off. How do you prevent that, or can you?
                You have to take all the scales off to use a rattlesnake skin on a bow!

Bisch

Comment

Looks nice Rick.

Comment

Cool, nice job

Comment

Thanks guys.

Hogmauler, as Bisch stated, the scales have to be removed (or removed as best as you can) before the finish sealer is applied.

In my case, this was a very large, very old snake, and it's scales were very horny (for lack of a better way to put it).
                      I installed the skins, let them setup well on the limbs, and then used duct tape, plus a lot of scrubbing & rubbing to remove the scales. Even then, I was unable to get them all off.

Once I had what scale I could removed I applied the sealer.
                      I went with 3 coats first. Then this morning I sanded it all down smooth, and applied another 3 coats.
                      They are pretty slick now, but I may sand again, and apply a couple more coats later on.

Rick

Comment

Those look really good Rick. Nice Job!

Comment

sweet

Comment

Looks good, Rick. Question about skins or backings in general: would that affect bow performance at all? I could see it possibly even improving performance by stiffening the back of the bow somewhat. Is it something that's even noticeable?

Comment

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
                              Looks good, Rick. Question about skins or backings in general: would that affect bow performance at all? I could see it possibly even improving performance by stiffening the back of the bow somewhat. Is it something that's even noticeable?
                              Thanks.

They say snake skins don't enhance performance any, or change the attitude of the bow any at all. I know the vinyl one I've made made no difference, but I can't yet speak for the real skins. Guess I'll know soon.

Rick

Comment

Working...
                              X