Traditional FSC Week 1 for 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Traditional FSC Week 1 for 2016

Well, looks like I was the closest on Phillip's pronghorn (man, I'd like to get one of those)...anyway, here's our first FSC for 2016.
    I've always had a lot of interest in the old west, frontiersmen and fur trappers, so here's a target in honor of Hugh Glass (he's the subject of the new movie "The Revenant" that's coming out this month). Hugh was attacked by a sow grizzly in 1823 and was abandoned by his companions who assumed that he would not survive his gruesome wounds. They took his weapons and supplies and left him to die. Hugh refused to give in however and despite a broken leg and wounds to his back that left his ribs exposed, managed to crawl 200 miles to the nearest civilization. The incredible journey took him 6 weeks.
    We can save old Hugh this week by killing the bear before it gets him. We've only got one shot so we'll need to ear hole her to put her down.
    Print out this picture depicting the battle scene on 8-1/2 x 11.
    This is close range work, so let's shoot her from 8 yards standing. The closest to the center of the bear's ear hole is the winner...and is the old Hugh's hero!
    Good luck!
    Attached Files

Great idea, Pondboss! Looking forward to this movie. First read of Hugh Glass's epic struggle in "Lord Grizzly" by Frederick Manfred. Difficult to fathom the grit of Glass; imagine crawling from, say, Austin to Dallas.

Comment

Thanks Tradtiger. I'm looking forward to the movie as well.
      I'll look up the Fredrick Manfred book...I don't believe that I've read that one.

Comment

1 1/8". Last time I was face-to-face with a grizzly I, fortunately, didn't have to shoot.
        Attached Files

Comment

Nice shot, Phillip! Sounds like you might have a grizz story of your own to tell. Like to hear it. I've just seen them in a zoo.

Comment

tradtiger I wrote it up, post 112 on this thread: http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=book

Comment

Great story, Phillip. Glad you survived to tell the tale. Won't spoil it if any want to read it.

Comment

If the bear doesn't get ol Hugh, I will!!

Comment

Good shooting Phillip! That made her wince!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1451950385410.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	24423873

2 1/4 inches, I know the other arrow is closer, but it was my second shot.

Comment

Nice shooting Slayer...trimmed her whiskers!

Comment

Another great story Phillip...good job!

Comment

Another great story Phillip...good job!

Comment

Well, I didn't do Hugh any good at all. I'm sure that he'd preferred that I would of just stayed out of the way.
                            Attached Files

Comment

3/4" from center of ear hole

Comment

Working...
                              X