Advice needed-Wind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice needed-Wind

I'm posting this here because I plan on hunting with my recurve next year. I have a spot I hunt that's plant a good plot on and the problem is there are long lanes leading to the food plot in all directions and the issue I have is no matter the wind what happens is the wind coming down the lanes gets in the opening of the food plot and starts swirling like crazy. I have been busted several times and need to figure out something different. I hunted it last week with a perfect north wind which would be ideal but got busted because of the wind swirling. What would y'all do? I thought about trying ozonics but kinda hard to spend that kind of money without knowing if it works or not. My season is done for the year I'm just planning ahead for next year.

Skunk cover scent.

Comment

Another trick is to hang your clothes that you're going to wear over night outside or take some of the native foliage from where you're hunting and put that in a bag along with your clothes. Another trick I've seen is to take the plant material from where hunting and boil it in water and make a spray bottle type cover scent out of it

Comment

Smoke. Stand in a fire.

Comment

Treestand can help. I cut cedar and put in clothes. I use arm and hammer unscented deodorant and use scent away. I don't carry food to stand or coffee (apparently lots do from what I've seen) I also don't hunt with wind much more than 10 mph and use multiple stand locations to accommodate any wind direction if possible.

Comment

Might try a popup. I've never been winded while hunting them. Your shot angle with a recurve will be better too, just need one with enough room to shoot traditional equip in

Comment

With what you describe, it sounds to me like you need to pick a path and hunt it. Get ahead of the swirl and not be in it. Might be frustrating not to be in the middle, trust me, but its the gamble that makes the game.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I hunt out of a tree climber but muddy dog, I think your spot on. I use to hunt it out of a popup and that was the best way to do it but I guess somebody needed it more than me because they took it along with my camera and feeder timer. I usually hang my hunting clothes on a cedar bush and spray down good with scent killer.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                  With what you describe, it sounds to me like you need to pick a path and hunt it. Get ahead of the swirl and not be in it. Might be frustrating not to be in the middle, trust me, but its the gamble that makes the game.

Hand corn the wind favorable path and hunt it.

Comment

I'd back off the food plot, hunt the trails they come in on!

Comment

The only problem is it's thick east Texas briars and no good way to hunt a run, other thing is is they come in from all different directions

Comment

Ozonics

Comment

I have been winded plenty of times in a pop up. I know that is no help, sorry. I think I would need a better understanding of the area to offer advice.

Comment

Take up 3D...foam can't smell you

Comment

Yeah pop ups don't really offer scent deterrent

Comment

Working...
                              X