Painting bowtech limbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Painting bowtech limbs

Just curious, I'm about to put a new set of limbs on my insanity cpx and wanted to know how to go about prepping them for paint. I have the camo riser and will be putting the black/carbon fiber limbs on but wanted to refinish the limbs with some flat black and maybe a stencil of sorts. Can you sand them down with a mild grit (400-600) to knock the original paint off then finish with lighter grades to buff out imperfections? Seems pretty simple but didn't know if anyone had any experience in the matter and could offer up some advice, do's, don'ts, etc. Thanks, Matt

I would just get a sticker made to fit limbs

Comment

I thought about that, but sanding and painting seemed easier than getting a vinyl laser cut to fit 4 limbs(split limb design), and cheaper!

Comment

If you go past the Bowtech factory finish, you risk getting into the fibers of the limb.
        Not good.
        I would recommend just staying with factory finish.
        This may not matter, but I'm certain by re-finishing the limbs, you will void the warranty,(if you still have warranty).

Comment

Unfortunately I'm having to replace limbs at my own expense, not original owner, so no warranty on split limbs, hence the replacements. But that is good info, didn't know how thick the factory finish was and if you could sand down at all. I'll keep that in mind and probably do something less/non-invasive

Comment

Why can't you get them dipped?

Comment

Originally posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
              Why can't you get them dipped?
              I suppose that would work too. Didn't know what prep work was involved for dipping for the product to adhere properly.

Comment

If you paint them when not flexed, I can almost promise you that when they are pressed, the paint will stretch and crack. They would also get paint chipped in the areas where they fit in the pockets and by the rockers. Just my two cents. A dip would be the best option, if you had to do something to them. You would still need to be vigilant with a dip as well.

Comment

Having painted limbs with spray-on bedliner, I have to agree with every other poster.

Paint will work... for a while. But eventually it will crack and peel. Most paints aren't designed with enough flexibility to hold up.

Comment

I have painted flakey destroyer limbs with flexible bumper paint,made for these plastic bumpers on cars. the hardcore limbs had a hard white veneer under the outside coating that bowtechs finish wouldnt adhere to.Had to strip old finish off with citrus stripper and
                    lightly sand with 400 grit paper. I rinsed off limbs and wiped down 90% alcohol,let dry
                    and used wire through the axle holes to hang as I sprayed 3 light coats letting dry between coats. Bow has been pressed and shot alot with no sign of peeling or cracks.
                    you can get the paint in the automotive dept at wal-mart. If you have carbon core limbs you shouldnt have to strip them.only the hardcore limbs flaked.[the ones with white lines if you look at them from the side.]

Comment

Dip would be best, stickers would work, I wouldn't even try paint!

Comment

Working...
                      X