Stand setup for Trad Hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stand setup for Trad Hunting

This is my first year back to hunting with a recurve, yesterday we set up several new stands for these bows. We are hunting in relatively thick creek bottomland in Fairfield, and thinking I'm a whole lot more comfortable at 15 yds than further, we set our anticipated shooting zones closer than we did with stands set up for compounds. I believe the best one we put up is 20 feet up in a tree, just 14 yards from a feeder, with a huge hog wallow in between and overlooking what we evaluated was the "Interstate-20 of game trails". Just wondered what the strategy is for the rest of you with more trad hunting experience.

Stu

I hunt south, so most of ours are ground blinds.

Our normal setup is 14yds to the feeder. We hand throw corn between the feedr and the stand. Most of our shots are between 10-15yds. If something is on the other side of the feeder, it is 15-18yds. We can still take that shot if we want, but rarely do.

Bisch

Comment

I'm a treestand guy and I set mine up at about 15 yards from trails I expect game to travel. I will set them up at 10 if I feel like I can get away with it. Closer is always better for me even though I shoot well to 25.

Comment

I don't like to get toooo high. The angle becomes worse for the kill zone. I like to hunt as low as I can get away with.

Comment

Originally posted by Chunky View Post
          I don't like to get toooo high. The angle becomes worse for the kill zone. I like to hunt as low as I can get away with.
          Excellent point about the angle, in fact, we did end up moving the lock-on a little lower to take advantage of all the step sticks (being old men in our 50's) so I guess the seat will end up about 16ft off the ground. It's gonna be hot and sweaty there in the early season, so we tried to split the difference between being too high to shoot and just high enough to scatter scent effectively.

Stu

Comment

16' will be plenty good if you have good back cover!

Good luck!

Bisch

Comment

I like to set up for about 18 - 20 yds. I don't like to be too high because of the shot angles, preferably 15-18 feet with good cover. When you get a shot, don't forget to bend at the waist.

Comment

I agree with chunky. I don't hunt much over 16'
                Good luck

Comment

I set-up to shoot 12-17yds for trad hunting and around 12 to 18ft high if possible!

Comment

15 yards and 12-14' up are what I normally do. I hate being too high when shooting without sights.

Been plenty successful with this arrangement. Main thing is knowing when to move, and when not to, and I always try to stand up at my earliest opportunity.

Comment

I like to see the fleas jumping off em!!!

Comment

Originally posted by killerbee View Post
                        I like to see the fleas jumping off em!!!
                        That's what I'm talkin' about! I'd be happier if the broadhead would penetrate before the knock leaves the string.........

Stu

Comment

I have a couple of different set ups. One is a box blind, that is 13-14 yards from the feeder. I killed a ten point there last year and the shot was maybe 8 yards

I also have a 10 foot tripod set up in a big cedar. That shot is varies from 10 too 20 yards. I killed a buck two years ago at 21 yards. He looked a lot closer than he was.

Comment

I set both of my tree stands at 10 yards from the feeders. Most of my harvests have been at 12 or less.
                            I have 2 rules in the stand; Sit still and shoot straight.
                            Good luck everybody!

Comment

We hunt tree stands and ground blinds. Tree stands are 10' to 15' 15 yards from feeders, ground blinds are 15 yards as well. Same as Bisch, we throw corn at 10-12 yards for close shots.

Comment

Working...
                              X