bogen super clamp question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bogen super clamp question

I just got a bogen 3130 head and superclamp. My question is when you mount it on your tree arm, how do you keep it from slipping once it is tightened up. To position it level on the arm, there is a triangular space above the top of the arm that is not contacting the square tubing. If enough pressure is put on the head it slips around the square tubing of the arm. Do you need to cut a spacer wedge to shim it in tight or what do you do? What arms do most people use? I have a gorilla arm that will work. I was hoping to get a 3-way adjustable Team Realtree bow holder and clamp the super clamp to it. I like the idea of being able to screw the arm into the tree rather than ratchet(seems loud when ratcheting) but I don't think these bow holders will support the weight. Any thoughts or ideas? I don't want to spend a lot of money on an arm.
    Chris

I use Team Realtree bow holders with my super clamp and Bogen head and they support the weight just fine. Most of my stands have a camera holder in each of them so all I have to do is collect the super clamp and hunt. I have noticed on the Gorilla arms that are rounded I get a little slipege, so I stick with the Realtree ones.

Comment

Heath, how do you mount the superclamp to the arm? To mount it with the head level, the square tubing doesn't mount flush to the corners of the clamp.

Comment

To be honest I just screw it until it feels tight and have never paid attention if it is level or not. I like a little movement in it in case I need to push the camera up or down a little to get the right frame on the video I want.

Comment

I guess I am worried that it will slip and my camera will be hanging upside down underneath the arm instead of on top.

Comment

I use an EZ hanger and screw that into the tree and clamp the bogen to it.... You have to use the very end of the clamp and tighten. it holds well.

Comment

So whenever you tighten it all of the way up, your 2 flat rubber pieces on the top portion of the clamp are clamping to the top corners of the square tubing of the hanger and the bottom flat piece of the clamp is tightened against just one of the other corners of the tubing? It just bothers me that the flat portions of the clamp don't fit flat against the tubing on the arm. Guess it will work though!

Comment

I don't really like the EZ hangers either. The superclamp doesn't tighten to them as well as I'd like, but I still use them from time to time.

I make a copy of the EZ hangers using larger square tubing. I think the ones I have made are 3/4" or smaller. The clamp makes a much better connection to the larger tubing. I take a cutting torch or chop saw and cut the screw part off a screw in step and weld it to the end of the square tubing. Obviously, the only other thing you need is a drill and a bolt with washers to connect to (or three) pieces. I need to make some more.

Comment

Ben, do you use aluminum or steel? Seems you would need a forklift to get that piece of equipment to your stand if it was steel. LOL!!

Comment

If you get the extra long EZ hanger, you can double up the last two segments, one on top of the other. Then then super clamp can get a much better grip.

Comment

What Sika said.

Comment

My super clamp has a wedge type spacer that squares the corner part of the clamp. Did your's not come with this?

Comment

I bought some of the round bow holders. There is a pin near the end of the round tubing. I took a punch and knocked it out and removed the little hook thing that is supposed to hold your bow. I then got a piece of all thread and bent it as close to 90 degree as I could, got my tap and die set out and tapped the round tube to the same size thread as the tube on the bow holder. Put a nut on the all thread so you can "lock" down the all thread after it is screwed into the tubing. Then my Bogen 3030 will screw right onto the all thread. Stay tuned and I will tell you if this works in the field. I hope to give it the acid test this weekend.

Comment

Steel. Square tubing isn't very heavy. It weighs maybe twice as much as an EZ hanger. I try to have one in every stand so that I don't have to carry them anyway. I probably have a dozen of these on our ranch.

Comment

Casey, mine did not come with a wedge piece. Sure would be nice to have one so that it would fit securely in place!

Comment

Working...
                              X