Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

House repair Questions,floor covering,painting,carpentry,etc...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the advice Keith ....

Comment

Wiz,

I had a much different experience than keith with those type of painters. I love mine (it's the manual suction kind). Modest pain in the arse to clean each time, but wow...try painting ceilings and getting down from ladder to get roller through the paint, versus just standing their a painting for ever by punching a trigger and running more paint through the roller. I did the second half of my house with this "gun roller" and it went MUCH easier than the old tried and true methodon on the first half. My dad did me one better buying the electric version, which outdid mine as you never run out of paint. They just built a new house in Shiner and we did the entire interior (walls and ceilings) between our two guns. Big job, managed much easier with technology. I've painted 4 homes interior now, and I'd not do it any other way.
      Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Comment

I think sq2bowman has the right idea. If you spray inside, you have to cover everything you don't want paint on. And you have to thin the paint to go through the sprayer, so you'll need to go over everything twice just to get the same dry mil thickness of paint as one application by brush and roller. Most of the time (on interiors) you can tape off the base, brush and roll over drop cloths in about the same time you can mask everything, jack with the sprayer, etc. If you MUST spray, I would rent an honest to goodness spray rig like a Graco with a reversible tip that may cost three to five thousand dollars new rather than messing with any of the piddly little pieces of crap that you're going to be able to purchase for a two or three hundred.

By the way, don't forget to "box" your paint together so you can touchup later. In case you're not familiar... say you have ten gallons of paint. You get a couple extra empty buckets. Pour half of one five gallon bucket into an empty. Now pour half of the other five gallon bucket into the same one. Now pour the remaining halves into the other empty bucket. Keep repeating this process several times so that you end up with one batch of paint that has all been mixed together. Then keep your paint stirred well and don't let the colorants settle out to the bottom. If you don't do all this, then the slight difference between the two buckets (or the differences between the top of the bucket and the bottom if you let the colorants fall out) will show up when you go to touchup your walls later as "flashing."

Good luck! I don't envy you; that's a big job you're tackling!

Comment

I've got now 3 rooms repainted,the Master bedroom had some drywall tape that had come lose in the corners,wow,what fun to fix this was....
          I learned myself to do drywall work yall!
          I'll post the pics later!

Comment

Go, Wiz, go!

I tried one of those 110V painters, and it clogged and would not work. Luckily I bought it at Home Depot, they take anything as a return. She told me she'd get several every day that people were returning.

I found putting a good extention pole on a paint roller, using good paint and masking down poly on the floor, I can paint pretty quickly.

Did you buy or are you renting- the amount of $$ you put into the house obviously differs.

Really nice house by the way. A Realtor would describe it as "charming".

Comment

Sounds like yall are "gittin it done" David. I like the cheap 90 deg trowels for doing corners. Also prefer the mesh tape to the paper stuff. I'll be looking forward to them pics. Take care.

Comment

Its been awhile since i've updated this thread,heres what i've gottin done,in a wheelchair,and using crutches-this house just down right ROCKS as i get something else done around here when my body allows me...
                May i show yall my New trophy room

I broke the molding above the Fireplace-its very old and hard to find now

This is what we found when we moved in -the master bedroom

After a month of fixing the drywall(OJT),priming,and even more **** priming,and alot of painting,and did i mention PAINTING,i produced this after laying new carpet last week by myself-no help at all.

The new carpet-Thanks BentBow for the reference
                And Thanks to Waterdog-Mark for letting use his 8' ladder for the last few monthes now-2 more rooms to go Mark-just call if you need it back

Saturday,i finally moved into the Master Bedroom-this is my "Ultimate Bedroom" i've ever wanted,i just need 2 10' artifical trees to finish it off.
                The love the outdoors so much,my room is a jungle!I'm proud of what i can do by myself when i put all my effort into a job.

I'm nowhere done,alot of work still needs to be done,this house reminds me of the movie "The Money Pit"......everythings takes 2x's more than I thought it would....and it can cause stress.
                this is Stress,when priming and bubbles start forming,its happened everywhere,i've put a roller to the walls!

Comment

David, Git 'R Done, dude! Really nice work.

Next time I'm in TX, I'd appreciate an invite to see it in person.

Comment

Did You Get Any Of That Wind Last Night I Got A Call Last Nightat 3 Am Had To Kill A Gas Service To A House In Lockhart On 5th St Hope You Made It Throuh O K. You Got The House Looking Pretty Awesome.great Job .

Comment

Yep,we had 70 mph winds,this old house has witnessed many a storm like that,the barn across the road didn't make it...
                      Thanks Bill,next time,you can stay here if you want.

Comment

Your doing a great job, it looks awesome! We're about to start on some remodeling on the place we're buying.

Comment

Working...
                        X