Austin loses state funding for Formula One race

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eaglegolfj View Post
    Austin used to be pretty nice area. My grandparents lived in Logovista for years. My mother and I use to go up there about 2-3 times a year. I can not believe how democratic that area has become. My wife and I went to Bastrop last year to go camping. I could not believe all the beto signs we seen.

It was hard to read but what did that post have to do with the issue at hand? You do realize that all on here complaining about the incentive are saying the same thing as AOC?

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
      Well good riddance.
      This x a million!

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
        Well good riddance.
        Haha, maybe they can get a nascar race there now As far as how BLUE austin has become, been that way a LONG time already, it spread from UT like a virus

Comment

Couldn't care less. F1 is a big commercial business now, with as many as THREE HUNDRED people on some "racing teams." Event prices are idiotic. Decent tickets cost hundreds of dollars each, and parking could run $100+ per day. Basically just a big yuppie party. They can take it all to Baghdad for all I care.

Comment

No announcements from F1 about them leaving COTA anytime soon. Yep, cities, states and even countries have underwritten events as long as I can remember......like it or not. We definitely enjoy the weekend of events as it is extremely well put together for the fans!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Buh-bye

Comment

Originally posted by Maxlab View Post
                We pay the for the event in return we get a huge boost in our local economy.
                $5 billion: COTA's cumulative economic impact on the Austin metro area.
                $423 million: Direct visitor spending injected into Austin-area businesses during COTA events.
                $306 million: Annual payroll for Austin-area workers attributable to COTA's annual activities and operations.
                $53.2 million: State tax surplus created by tax revenue generated by COTA events
                $810 million: Economic impact attributed directly to COTA operations.
                $3.1 billion: Economic impact for all other major sporting events, including F1, MotoGP, X Games, and more.
                $36 million: Economic impact of concerts and events at Austin360 Amphitheater.
                $14 million: Economic impact of track rentals and other miscellaneous events.
                46,100: Jobs supported by COTA's annual activities and operations.
                With all that money flowing why do they need tax payer money to keep afloat? With the the price of tickets and what everything cost at those events perhaps it's not being run properly. I can see some tax incentives and such to get things kicked off but that track has been around a long time now. Hope they can make it but shutting down tax payer funding is prudent.

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
                  No announcements from F1 about them leaving COTA anytime soon. Yep, cities, states and even countries have underwritten events as long as I can remember......like it or not. We definitely enjoy the weekend of events as it is extremely well put together for the fans!

I freak'n love F1...the technology in those race machines is just sick!!

Comment

Helicopters from all over the world land here, every three minutes, several days before the race begins
                    Last edited by WalkieTalkie; 06-23-2019, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                      I freak'n love F1...the technology in those race machines is just sick!!
                      Same here. In is totally incredible. Outside of austin we have Monaco and Toronto on the list for race weekends.

Comment

Originally posted by txtradesman View Post
                        Helicopters from all over the world land here, every three minutes, several days before the race begins
                        Yep, amazing how many languages are being spoken on race weekend. [emoji2962]The fans are seriously devoted to their brand/drivers!!!

Comment

could that track be used for a Nascar or Indy race?
                          Been past it many times but never on the grounds

Comment

A client of mine went to an F1 race in Canada some years back. Said the race was cool and atmosphere amazing, but seeing Elizabeth Hurley in person was definitely the highlight.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                              could that track be used for a Nascar or Indy race?
                              Been past it many times but never on the grounds
                              Indy is there, but turnout was low. Lower level competition F2 and F3 are there. Motorcycles are there. Some smaller groups are there racing cars at COTA also. I cant imagine $20 million from Austin had a huge effect on if this venture was going to be successful or not. It's great to see it working just like the nascar track in Ft. Worth.......kudos to Texas!

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
                                Indy is there, but turnout was low. Lower level competition F2 and F3 are there. Motorcycles are there. Some smaller groups are there racing cars at COTA also. I cant imagine $20 million from Austin had a huge effect on if this venture was going to be successful or not. It's great to see it working just like the nascar track in Ft. Worth.......kudos to Texas!

Comment

Working...
                                X