SW Menard County

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SW Menard County

I am looking at a hunting property/land investment SW of Menard. Off FM 2291.

How is the hunting & exotic population in that part of Menard county?

I grew up hunting off the San Saba river right at Fort McKavitt. That place was covered in game, but had cultivation and river frontage. It’s been a while since I have hunted the area and any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks

-walker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ttt

Comment

The axis are thick in Brady. We hunt in between Menard and Brady off 190 and the axis are spotty and the whitetail are incredible !!

Comment

Cant answer that exact area.
        But straight north of there, on the other side of the river we have lots of deer and quite a few Axis.

Comment

Hunt 10 miles west of McKavett. Its like a zoo. Covered w/ game

Sent from my LG-M150 using Tapatalk

Comment

We hunt off 2291 and are covered up in deer/hogs. There are axis close to the river towards Junction and I’ve seen a few between our place and Menard, but nothing on our property so far. The cattle guy said he’s seen them in the past.

Comment

I guess that I know every ranch in Menard County. Do you know the ranch owner's name? Axis are starting to come on that part of the county put pretty scattered at this time. The largest populations of axis at this time are along the river from Menard west to Ft. McKavett.
              Adios,
              Gary

Comment

How’s the oak wilt in that part of the county?

Comment

I am off 190 west of menard north of the river on Clear Creek Ranch. We have lots of game. As slow a year it was last year because of the rain we still had a great season.

Comment

Thanks for all the info - very helpful.

Comment

I've been hunting off 2291 (Cleo Rd) for about 13 years now. The ranch I hunt on is off of Ellis Rd. Lots of deer and hogs. Dove hunting can be really great around Labor Day. Spring turkey season is almost always great. Exotics are rare on our ranch. I saw a blackbuck near our ranch a few years ago, but later heard he didn't last too long ! A very few Axis have been shot on our place since I've been hunting there. I noticed that Gary Roberson replied to your post above. You'd be wise to PM him about your specific location. Or stop in and talk to Brandon at Compton's Warehouse in town.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray McGaughey View Post
                        I've been hunting off 2291 (Cleo Rd) for about 13 years now. The ranch I hunt on is off of Ellis Rd. Lots of deer and hogs. Dove hunting can be really great around Labor Day. Spring turkey season is almost always great. Exotics are rare on our ranch. I saw a blackbuck near our ranch a few years ago, but later heard he didn't last too long ! A very few Axis have been shot on our place since I've been hunting there. I noticed that Gary Roberson replied to your post above. You'd be wise to PM him about your specific location. Or stop in and talk to Brandon at Compton's Warehouse in town.

Thanks - I shot him a PM.

Comment

You might want to keep in mind that in Menard Co. you have to have 160 acres to be able to drill a well.

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
                            You might want to keep in mind that in Menard Co. you have to have 160 acres to be able to drill a well.
                            For water?
                            Didn't know that. I was looking at some small pieces out there at one time.

Comment

Walker,

My family owns a property off 2291 and Spiller lane. There is a property next to us on the market. How large is the property you’re looking at buying?

Comment

Working...
                              X