No announcement yet.

What’s the MUST DO at Big Bend??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Emory Peak. That hike will put hair on your chest and wear out a pair of boots.

Comment

While your out there go by the observatory at night and look at the stars!

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
        They still doing burro rides into boquillas ?
        Yep

Comment

following

Comment

First off, the park is MASSIVE. From the entrance closest to Terlingua to Boquillas canyon is somewhere in the neighborhood of 60 miles apart with Chisos Basin being pretty much smack dab in the middle of the two. It's good y'all are staying at the cabins, they are awesome. There's so much to do at the park it's almost a hassle to take the tent and get everything set up. As soon as you get there you'll be ready to start exploring. Here's my recommendations for three full days.

Day 1
            Lost Mine Trail 4.8 miles - Start before sunrise and try to knock out the first mile before the sun makes it over the mountains. Once it does you will have awesome views of the canyon below with the morning light really coloring in the canyons. Its a great hike.

Finish the trail, take a little siesta and then hike number 2

The Window Trail 5 miles - This trail will take you down to the famous "Window". You will be walking downhill on the way there and the way back will be all uphill. Its gradual but will take probably close to twice as long on the way back.

Finish off with dinner at the restaurant and watch the sunset through the window.

Day 2

Grapevine hills 1 mile - Really cool little hike. The road to the trail head is rough, but the hike is worth it.

Boquillas canyon 2 miles - Easy hike and cool views of the canyons separating Mexico and the US.

Boquillas Crossing - Go enjoy a late lunch across the border. Take your passports, check in with customs and go across the river. They will pick you up in a little boat and ferry you across. Its five dollars per person and that gets you there and back. They have donkeys you can ride to town and back for another five dollars each. Not much to do in the town except eat, but its just cool to be over there. Also check which days the crossing is open. I believe its closed Mon & Tues.

Hot spring - .25 mile walk - This will be a great way to end your day and is close to Boquillas area. Enjoy the spring and if its warm enough swim in the Rio. If you can be here at sunset its beautiful.

Day 3.

Emory Peak 9 miles - This is definitely the hardest hike but will be a rewarding one. It is the highest peak at Big Bend and gives you some awesome views. I would highly recommend it. The trail head is right there next to the cabins so this would be a great one to do in the morning.

Head out of the Chisos Basin and drive to the other end of the park. Go to Terlingua and check out the ghost town. There's a few restaurants there and a coffee shop that will have wifi if you need to check in to the rest of the world.

After Terlingua make your way down to Santa Elena Canyon. It will be a 1 hourish drive from Terlingua. The hike is about 2 miles. This is the hike I would finish with.

I love it out at BBNP if you can't tell. There is still a ton more to see and do but if I had three days this is what I'd do. PM me if you have any more questions!

Comment

Definitely see the Window. If you can see it at sunset it is spectacular. One of the prettiest places I've ever seen.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickslinger92 View Post
                First off, the park is MASSIVE. From the entrance closest to Terlingua to Boquillas canyon is somewhere in the neighborhood of 60 miles apart with Chisos Basin being pretty much smack dab in the middle of the two. It's good y'all are staying at the cabins, they are awesome. There's so much to do at the park it's almost a hassle to take the tent and get everything set up. As soon as you get there you'll be ready to start exploring. Here's my recommendations for three full days.

Day 1
                Lost Mine Trail 4.8 miles - Start before sunrise and try to knock out the first mile before the sun makes it over the mountains. Once it does you will have awesome views of the canyon below with the morning light really coloring in the canyons. Its a great hike.

Finish the trail, take a little siesta and then hike number 2

The Window Trail 5 miles - This trail will take you down to the famous "Window". You will be walking downhill on the way there and the way back will be all uphill. Its gradual but will take probably close to twice as long on the way back.

Finish off with dinner at the restaurant and watch the sunset through the window.

Day 2

Grapevine hills 1 mile - Really cool little hike. The road to the trail head is rough, but the hike is worth it.

Boquillas canyon 2 miles - Easy hike and cool views of the canyons separating Mexico and the US.

Boquillas Crossing - Go enjoy a late lunch across the border. Take your passports, check in with customs and go across the river. They will pick you up in a little boat and ferry you across. Its five dollars per person and that gets you there and back. They have donkeys you can ride to town and back for another five dollars each. Not much to do in the town except eat, but its just cool to be over there. Also check which days the crossing is open. I believe its closed Mon & Tues.

Hot spring - .25 mile walk - This will be a great way to end your day and is close to Boquillas area. Enjoy the spring and if its warm enough swim in the Rio. If you can be here at sunset its beautiful.

Day 3.

Emory Peak 9 miles - This is definitely the hardest hike but will be a rewarding one. It is the highest peak at Big Bend and gives you some awesome views. I would highly recommend it. The trail head is right there next to the cabins so this would be a great one to do in the morning.

Head out of the Chisos Basin and drive to the other end of the park. Go to Terlingua and check out the ghost town. There's a few restaurants there and a coffee shop that will have wifi if you need to check in to the rest of the world.

After Terlingua make your way down to Santa Elena Canyon. It will be a 1 hourish drive from Terlingua. The hike is about 2 miles. This is the hike I would finish with.

I love it out at BBNP if you can't tell. There is still a ton more to see and do but if I had three days this is what I'd do. PM me if you have any more questions!
                Sounds like a good plan, even for a guy from Temple ! Haha, just kidding. I appreciate your advice.

Comment

Stay home

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
                    They still doing burro rides into boquillas ?
                    Yep. Did one Saturday.

Comment

Tagged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                      X