Tooth age please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
    Crap like that would get you kicked off half the leases in texas.
    Yeah, that's a shame. I want to kill a big old deer as much as the next guy, but really, I hate it's come to that.

Comment

There is only one way to know the exact age of deer. Watch him from birth.

Comment

Starting last year, I have kept photo logs on known deer, trying to help classify deer +/- 1 year so when we kill them, we have photo evidence to indicate at least somewhat accurate age based on the photos. The problem is that it will take 4-5 years to see this through, being patient has been testing.

Comment

According to this, that deer would be 5.5

Comment

Originally posted by Mexdeer19 View Post
            There is only one way to know the exact age of deer. Watch him from birth.
            Yep and then like at his or her teeth a say WHAAAAAAT? No way.....
            Been there..

Comment

Originally posted by Ground Checkin' Heavies View Post
              Starting last year, I have kept photo logs on known deer, trying to help classify deer +/- 1 year so when we kill them, we have photo evidence to indicate at least somewhat accurate age based on the photos. The problem is that it will take 4-5 years to see this through, being patient has been testing.
              We have found that trail pics alone are tough, seeing the deer on the hoof is a much better judge.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                We have found that trail pics alone are tough, seeing the deer on the hoof is a much better judge.
                I have hours of video to go along with trail cam pics. Trail cam pics have seemed to help me identify deer from year to year a lot better than seeing them on the hoof. Scars, ear tears, facial spots all have been used to help me identify deer from one year to the next. Again, not exact science like everyone has stated above, I'm just confident that I can tell them within a year or so from the combination of trail cam pics, footage, and seeing them on the hoof within a year or so.

You can't open their mouth when they are alive, and apparently opening their mouth when they are dead has been proven to be inaccurate as well. History with known deer (trail cam pics, video footage,) to me, is the best way to come as close as you can at guesstimating their age.

Comment

I agree.

Comment

I had a rancher tell me this last year while hunting at his place. When trying to age a dead deer there is only one thing for certain.......... This is as old as he is ever going to get lol.

Comment

Most know that aging teeth is not always accurate lots af variables determine tooth wear. Those teeth show 5.5 based on tooth aging info available. Just aging the teeth on wear as asked I would call it a good example of 5.5. Just a tool, always good to know your herd.

Comment

Originally posted by Ground Checkin' Heavies View Post
                        According to this, that deer would be 5.5

https://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/...w7000_0755.pdf
                        Yes.

Comment

Working...
                        X