Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I enjoy killing critters is why I started. Now I stump shoot a lot

Comment

I hunt with a rifle as well and have a whole wall full of mounts from rifle hunting. I have had some pretty tough physical hunts toting a rifle and there is a sense of accomplishment and pride when the hunt is over, knowing that at my age I could keep up with my guide.

Use a bow and you can double that feeling, but for me I have to practice every week to keep in shape. I have to work at my form and release all the time, I build my own arrows and tune my bow. I learn things on here on how to improve myself. My dumbazz just ordered another 1000.00 bow, I got to start the process all over again.

I understand why folks are critical about shots that are long distance or off the cuff, as they do not always end up well. And yes the same for bow hunters that never practice.

Reckon I aint never figured out what is wrong with sneaking up on your quarry or being patient and waiting for a shot. I went on a mule deer hunt in Utah back in October, my guide and I walked a long ways to get close to the buck. We were within 350 yards and he said what do you think? I said too far for me, so we snuck in to 220 yards and took the buck. The rifle I was using is a 300WSM custom built by West Texas Ordnance, I have shot groups with it at 800 yards. Its a good gun, but I am a lousy shot.

Comment

Originally posted by RascalArms View Post
        Sounds like the OP needs his opossum massaged

If you're not massaging your opossum, you're not living right.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
          Someone that chooses a less efficient means of killing because they like a challenge makes fun of someone else who chooses a less efficient means of killing because he likes a challenge. If hypocrite isn’t the word please tell me what is?

I would suggest that a bowshot in the 60-100 yard shot arena is more comparable in the world of hypocrisy to a 800-1000 yard rifle shot.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
            Lol

Comment

I like the challenge of getting close and personal!

Comment

Why do you bowhunt?

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post

Peter Possum grinning says "Massage me right here"..

Click image for larger version

Name:	****** possum (2).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	24567297

Comment

Originally posted by crc View Post
                  Both a bow and a long range rifle are less efficient compared to what?
                  A rifle at short range. Meaning they are less than optimal. I don’t mean to down talk either. Just stating that one shouldn’t call the other lesser.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                    I would suggest that a bowshot in the 60-100 yard shot arena is more comparable in the world of hypocrisy to a 800-1000 yard rifle shot.
                    That’s purely opinion and I can respect that in a respectful conversation. Someone who practices constantly for either is not less prepared than someone who practices for nothing though. My whole point was one shouldn’t cast stones when neither are choosing the most effective option.

Comment

[ATTACH]941561[/ATTACH]

Thats how to massage a possum
                      Last edited by Radar; 06-05-2019, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by psicoo View Post
                        I like the challenge of getting close and personal!
                        I understand that and respect that. If you think being able to take long shot repeatable and effectively is not a challenge then you are mistaken (not saying you think that). It’s just challenging in a whole different manner.

Comment

#1 for me is I like being set apart from the rest. #2 the challenge.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                            I hunt with a rifle as well and have a whole wall full of mounts from rifle hunting. I have had some pretty tough physical hunts toting a rifle and there is a sense of accomplishment and pride when the hunt is over, knowing that at my age I could keep up with my guide.

Use a bow and you can double that feeling, but for me I have to practice every week to keep in shape. I have to work at my form and release all the time, I build my own arrows and tune my bow. I learn things on here on how to improve myself. My dumbazz just ordered another 1000.00 bow, I got to start the process all over again.

I understand why folks are critical about shots that are long distance or off the cuff, as they do not always end up well. And yes the same for bow hunters that never practice.

Reckon I aint never figured out what is wrong with sneaking up on your quarry or being patient and waiting for a shot. I went on a mule deer hunt in Utah back in October, my guide and I walked a long ways to get close to the buck. We were within 350 yards and he said what do you think? I said too far for me, so we snuck in to 220 yards and took the buck. The rifle I was using is a 300WSM custom built by West Texas Ordnance, I have shot groups with it at 800 yards. Its a good gun, but I am a lousy shot.
                            There’s nothing wrong with sneaking up on animals, but just as you enjoy some challenges so do others. It just so happens to be that challenges people enjoy don’t always align. If you think setting up for a long shot is easy it’s not always the case. A lot of stars have to align for that shot to be viable, then even if it’s viable you have to make sure you’ve put in the legwork to make it count. It’s challenging and rewarding in a whole different way.

I’ve never even shot a deer with a bow. Just hogs, rabbits, and a coon or two (didn’t really deer hunt in high school). Hogs were great fun, and I know the thrill can be exhilarating. I guess people just think I’m funny cause deer don’t do anything for me unless it’s on my plate lol

Comment

I don't more for us

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
                                I don't more for us

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
                                I usually work in unison with the deer hunters. I try to keep the pigs out of your way, and you try to keep the deer out of mine

Comment

Working...
                                X