Building a shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RWB View Post
    So you span 50 ft with the beam? If so any idea what size the beam is?
    It's not a solid 50ft span because it's welded to the main beams that hold up the shop. If I had to guess I'd say the beam is 8-10 inches tall and 6 wide. I have a 1 ton trolly and chain fall and it probably could handle alot more

Comment

If you arent running an insulated door, I dont know if I'd spend too much money on insulation. The doors are the leaky point of the whole build and tons of air will infiltrate while the sun bring in the heat through the metal.

If you are doing metal fab, you really want to clear that welding smoke. Lots of ventilation.

Comment

One of the handiest things i have ever put in mine is my electric #2500 lb winch off of the main IBeam...anything that i cant lift out of the back of my truck or if i want to put something in my truck and cant lift it....Just winch it in.
        I have one in my garage at home as well...but only #800 lbs...be careful where you put it at home in your garage for strength.
        I have used it many times plus its really good to hold up things like bicycles to work on so you don’t have to get on the ground.
        I have to change a Front tire on my Zero turn tomorrow and will be using the winchto hold up the front end to get tire off. Just simple tasks like that.

Comment

We have good spray-in insulation. That makes a huge difference in both the winter and summer. Roll up doors on both ends, and faced in a direction where they’ll catch the prevailing wind in the summer. We also framed in shelving on a lot of the walls for storage and work space.

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
            If you arent running an insulated door, I dont know if I'd spend too much money on insulation. The doors are the leaky point of the whole build and tons of air will infiltrate while the sun bring in the heat through the metal.

If you are doing metal fab, you really want to clear that welding smoke. Lots of ventilation.
            He said he wasnt planning to have AC or heat in the building so the air coming in through the door has no meaning in regards to the insulation. All the insulation is going to do is help reduce the radiant heat that comes in through the heated metal, and help retain heat within the metal structure during the winter if he decides to run a heater of some type; after all insulation is rated on its ability to keep heat from passing through. Spray foam is the best option if you're willing to pay a little more; it'll far outlast any roll insulation, it will add rigidity to the metal and glue it all together at the seams, and at thicknesses greater than 1.5" it's a vapor barrier so it will keep the inside of the building from sweating.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Not to hijack the thread, but what does it cost to spray foam a 40 x 50 shop like the OP wants to build?

Comment

My best advice.....twice as big as you think you need.

Comment

Spray foam insulation. A couple of Windows and fans will keep it cooler in the summer..

Comment

Originally posted by kdenhead View Post
                    Not to hijack the thread, but what does it cost to spray foam a 40 x 50 shop like the OP wants to build?
                    My brother in law just had one buillt. It was a package that included spray foam. I believe he said with dirt work and all it was $27,000.

It was a 30x40

Comment

Working...
                    X