No announcement yet.

Property taxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taxed when you earn it. Taxed when you spend it. Taxed on items you own that you spent it on. It never ends.

Comment

The taxes will force me out of my house when I retire.
      I own my place out right but the taxes on it are over $1,000.00 a month.
      I hope to retire at 66, I will have to sell out and move into another smaller place.
      I worked hard to build up enough to have a nice place. It saddens me to think I will have to retire to a shack over the tax burden when the county did not help me build this place

I am all for a VAT tax. If I want to spend like a drunk sailor then I will pay the tax. If I want to set on my money and spend nothing then I don't pay.

It is just hard to understand that they could send a SWAT team out to MY house and put me in the street

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post
        I hope to retire at 66, I will have to sell out and move into another smaller place.
        I worked hard to build up enough to have a nice place. It saddens me to think I will have to retire to a shack over the tax burden when the county did not help me build this place

I am all for a VAT tax. If I want to spend like a drunk sailor then I will pay the tax. If I want to set on my money and spend nothing then I don't pay.

It is just hard to understand that they could send a SWAT team out to MY house and put me in the street
        At some point, I had to decide if that type house worth the monthly expense due to taxes. I decided to go barndo and land at about 1/6 the taxes of the same value house on 5 acres. I knew the rules, so built within those rules to reduce tax values as much as possible. Once retired, that property tax money is a big hit to cash flow.

Comment

Property values go up and down all of the time, yet taxes rarely seem to mirror the change in values. The truth of the matter is with all of the flooding that TX saw, some properties should be devalued. New flood maps are coming out as well, which will put more properties into map floodplains, and again change values.

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post

It’s sick, I’m 54, and my wife is 51. We just bought some property in Matagorda and are building a small shack because of that very reason. Taxes this year are $9,260.66.........on my house
            I’m being punished for working hard

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
              Taxed when you earn it. Taxed when you spend it. Taxed on items you own that you spent it on. It never ends.
              What is amazing is how many people there are that never realize exactly what you just typed. They just go along with everything and never question anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
                ...taxed when you die...

Comment

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
                  Huh?

You have more teachers and policemen making more money than they did 20 years ago

You also have more things you have to pay for

20 years ago You didn't need fiber optic cabling to be run in every elementary school (today you do)

Why do I have to explain this stuff?

It's all numbers, man. Pure math.

Didn't the fire fighters in Houston just get some big pension thing they won? That will cost the city more money and it was an expense that the city did not have 20 years ago, not even 20 weeks ago.

So the city of Houston needs to find a way to pay for all these pensions that just got dropped in their lap and the way to go it is cut other things out raise taxes.

Since nobody likes their programs cut (squeezing more kids per classroom for example) then they will raise taxes.

Truth, it’s not the schools, it’s the state. At one time they funded 80 something percent of public ed funding, now it’s down to 30 something percent. It has to do with property values..... the more local funding that goes to school districts the less comes out of the state. And the extra money the state gets or saves by doing this goes to balancing the budget instead of to the schools. Thousands of School age kids moving to Texas yearly and the state pays less..... I think there is a little wasteful spending going on. Time to make some noise in Austin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                    At some point, I had to decide if that type house worth the monthly expense due to taxes. I decided to go barndo and land at about 1/6 the taxes of the same value house on 5 acres. I knew the rules, so built within those rules to reduce tax values as much as possible. Once retired, that property tax money is a big hit to cash flow.
                    I would like to ask you about the barndo. How does a barndo keep the property tax down, because it is not considered a dwelling?

If one were to build a barndo how many sq ft can it be and how "nice" can the living quarters be? I do not know anything about this and am just asking?

This has been in the back of my mind for sometime now.

Comment

It keeps the property values down just by costing less to build. It is, in many ways, a better house too. It can't burn, rot and is virtually maintenance free. They can be very nice houses as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                        I would like to ask you about the barndo. How does a barndo keep the property tax down, because it is not considered a dwelling?

If one were to build a barndo how many sq ft can it be and how "nice" can the living quarters be? I do not know anything about this and am just asking?

This has been in the back of my mind for sometime now.
                        It can be as big as you want it and as nice as.you want it.

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
                          It can't burn,
                          Ha!

Comment

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
                            Huh?
                            You have more teachers and policemen making more money than they did 20 years ago
                            You also have more things you have to pay for
                            20 years ago You didn't need fiber optic cabling to be run in every elementary school (today you do)

Why do I have to explain this stuff?

It's all numbers, man. Pure math.
                            Didn't the fire fighters in Houston just get some big pension thing they won? That will cost the city more money and it was an expense that the city did not have 20 years ago, not even 20 weeks ago.
                            So the city of Houston needs to find a way to pay for all these pensions that just got dropped in their lap and the way to go it is cut other things out raise taxes.
                            Since nobody likes their programs cut (squeezing more kids per classroom for example) then they will raise taxes.
                            I'll say this one time. Try and think really really hard.

We the people own property we are taxed on. Look at it like church tithing. That's 10%

Churches typically don't say this next year we need 11% because now we have more people. And after 50 years are asking for 25%

If property values are up that means economy is good and people are making more money so the government makes more.. But it's the same. Sort of like if you get a 5% raise but inflation that year was up 5% you're really not making more money.

Comment

I got so frustrated with the Comal County Appriasal District that last year I paid the $450 to take the appraisal district to binding arbitration. I was able to get a $41,000 reduction on my appraisal value. This was after only getting $3,000 off going to the standard 3 person protest board in New Braunfels.

I encourage everyone to go through this process. We need to push back HARD against these overly aggressive appraisal districts.

Comment

Originally posted by 100%TtId View Post
                                ...taxed when you die...
                                LOL. The estate tax exemption is now $11 million. I'd wager fewer than 20 people on the green screen will get hit with that.

Comment

Working...
                                X