No announcement yet.

NY Stock Exchange up 13% in 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm in a minority that thinks this has nothing to do with either . . . . outside momentary slides up and down.

company performance is what drives prices. To me this is an illustration of the ability for the American engine to produce regardless of what Richard Cranium is in the office.

America is making this happen . . . . we need a facilitator but nothing will stop American ingenuity and know how

Comment

Originally posted by txdukklr View Post
      I'm in a minority that thinks this has nothing to do with either . . . . outside momentary slides up and down.

company performance is what drives prices. To me this is an illustration of the ability for the American engine to produce regardless of what Richard Cranium is in the office.

America is making this happen . . . . we need a facilitator but nothing will stop American ingenuity and know how
      Exactly. Lots of people think the president controls and determines what happens in the economy and the stock market. In reality, there are many things that affect the economy and the markets. Politics is one thing, but not the only thing, that has an effect on the economy. And considering the effect that politics has, the president has less influence on the economy and the market than Congress does. The president usually gets all the credit or blame, but Congress is where more of the political effect comes from. That's where tax laws and spending bills come from. Granted, Obama has had more economic impact than most presidents, due to his famous pen and phone and all the regulatory roadblocks coming out of the various agencies under the control of the executive branch. But Congress still matters more than the president when it comes to economic matters.

But there are still several other factors at play - private sector management, supply and demand, technological innovations, worldwide competition, weather patterns, etc..... You're right about a company's profits determining what the company's value (stock price) is. Businesses don't close up shop when they don't like the President or the laws that Congress passes. They just adjust their plans to try to figure out how to grow their profits, even when the playing field isn't ideal. It's dang sure been less than ideal lately, but the private sector has been able to adapt and keep moving forward in spite of the mess in Washington. Growth has been slower than normal, due to the drag that Washington has been. But we've been growing.

It would sure be nice to see politics be less of a drag on everything. Hopefully the Republican Congress will get politics a little more out of the way, and hopefully Trump will go along with them rather than fighting against them the way Obama has.

Comment

Originally posted by super_dave View Post
        Texans fan is also the same guy who told me that Delek US wouldn't make it through the oil slump. Well now they've bought ALON us refining and own 7 inland refineries.
        I lost on that one, HERO and LINE
        lost big on the last two
        never put money behind Delek

But I more than made up for it with BLOZF and SQNM
        And in the interim I was day trading with USO and DNO

Comment

I am so grateful you are right about this.

Comment

Amen

Comment

Originally posted by super_dave View Post
              Texans fan is also the same guy who told me that Delek US wouldn't make it through the oil slump. Well now they've bought ALON us refining and own 7 inland refineries.
              Most hit by oil slump is upstream related...exploration & drilling. Now that there has been a surplus of crude above surface level from all the drilling the refineries have to process it for downstream feed stock. Many downstream companies have invested serious capital with lower feedstock prices in the past 2 years...i.e. Dow Chem ethylene cracking processing

Comment

You can thank the Fed for the inflated market. Companies can borrow money basically for free and buy their stock back. This drives share price up. Look at revenues, most are flat or under estimate. It's a house of Cards.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                  EOY 2015 DOW 17,425

Nov 4th Dow 17,888

EOY 2016 DOW 19,762
                  these figures tell me the majority of the jump was after the election

Comment

No you aren't, you are just informed. Morningstar has some really good info showing that it really does not matter who is prez, and only matters slightly who is in control of congress with regards to market performance

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                      Exactly. Lots of people think the president controls and determines what happens in the economy and the stock market. In reality, there are many things that affect the economy and the markets. Politics is one thing, but not the only thing, that has an effect on the economy. And considering the effect that politics has, the president has less influence on the economy and the market than Congress does. The president usually gets all the credit or blame, but Congress is where more of the political effect comes from. That's where tax laws and spending bills come from. Granted, Obama has had more economic impact than most presidents, due to his famous pen and phone and all the regulatory roadblocks coming out of the various agencies under the control of the executive branch. But Congress still matters more than the president when it comes to economic matters.

But there are still several other factors at play - private sector management, supply and demand, technological innovations, worldwide competition, weather patterns, etc..... You're right about a company's profits determining what the company's value (stock price) is. Businesses don't close up shop when they don't like the President or the laws that Congress passes. They just adjust their plans to try to figure out how to grow their profits, even when the playing field isn't ideal. It's dang sure been less than ideal lately, but the private sector has been able to adapt and keep moving forward in spite of the mess in Washington. Growth has been slower than normal, due to the drag that Washington has been. But we've been growing.

It would sure be nice to see politics be less of a drag on everything. Hopefully the Republican Congress will get politics a little more out of the way, and hopefully Trump will go along with them rather than fighting against them the way Obama has.

yup

as a better example my company 24 million with a 10% margin that I've seen evaporate from health care cost increases over the last few years. I laid off 10% of my force and went to a plan that provided a fraction of the care for a more manageable cost.

President is to blame for that

But I'm not going to let him shut down my company so I made a way.

Comment

NY Stock Exchange up 13% in 2016
                        A different perspective........

From May 12, 2015 to Jan 4, 2017 the S&P is up only 6.7% or an average of ~ 4% annually. Nothing to get excited about.

Comment

TBH has obama leg humpers?

Comment

Originally posted by Shinesintx View Post
                            TBH has obama leg humpers?
                            Apparently one who thinks he helped the stock market & needed an atta boy on his way out??

My stocks did well too & even if they had quadrupled under his admin...I'm still celebrating that worthless jack wagon's departure in 2-3 weeks. Barf, good riddance!!!! Hope he fades into obscurity & is never mentioned again. Ever.

Comment

yup

as a better example my company 24 million with a 10% margin that I've seen evaporate from health care cost increases over the last few years. I laid off 10% of my force and went to a plan that provided a fraction of the care for a more manageable cost.

President is to blame for that

But I'm not going to let him shut down my company so I made a way.
                              Exactly. Business people (good ones that survive) always figure out a way to make things work, even when the playing field they have to play on sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
                                Obama's fault???

And I guess you voted for Hillary. I can assume that you didn't own a business in the last 8 years under this counterfeit prez that's in there until Jan. 20th. Check the numbers of those on food stamps now...the actual numbers. And check the real unemployment rate and the figures for the number of people out of the work force under this counterfeit prez. Oh and then there's obamacare...what a scam.

Comment

Working...
                                X