South Texas Hunters 2018 Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

South Texas Hunters 2018 Thread

This is the 7th annual thread. It's getting that time again to start doing some shed hunting and work around our places. Post your shed findings, rut reports, feed schedules, cheap corn prices, LPD'S or anything else pertaining to hunting in South Texas. This is also a thread were we can get info for people close to your place, and maybe we can lend a helping hand if needed.

I'm in Falfurrias off 285, and usually make about 6 to 8 trips a year to the ranch.

Last year was a bit of a down year for us on buck quality wise. A lot of bucks we had two years ago disappeared and didn’t show up last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Black Ice; 03-04-2018, 09:42 PM.

Following...

Comment

I live in South Texas just outside of La Pryor near the Hwy 57 and 83 junction. If anyone is ever in need of help, let me know. It is nice and green around here and deer are loving the forage. Last year was a good year on our ranch but I am really looking forward to this year’s bucks. We had a lot of 4.5 and 5.5 year olds that hopefully will be back bigger than ever. Best corn prices around here are at Oasis in Uvalde usually around 5.95 for a 50# bag.

Comment

McMullen Co. We are DRY. Need rain in a bad way. Found a few sheds (earlier them normal).

Did some burning. Just need rain!

Comment

Im in premont and everything is still green but they are hammering the protein

Comment

I’m in Hidalgo county, lease was not too good this past year. Took one cull buck early season and once the rut hit my young bucks disappeared and never came back, most likely have been shot. Didn’t have really any mature Deer come through except for one 5+ year old 8 point and it was at night. Already getting the lease setup better for next year, all feeders are topped off and we added 200 gallons of water tanks putting us at over 350 gallons total. I plan to get the cotton seed feeders filled this weekend then I will let the place go quiet while i go and catch some fish!!

Comment

We got .95”s of rain this morning just west of Freer. Most rain we have gotten in a while. That should kick start the spring growth.

Comment

Premont north of falfurrius was very green and the protein was bone dry
                Its hot and the snakes are out

Comment

Killed two rattlers two weeks ago in the evening while making some rounds at the lease. Also just put out 2700 pounds of cotton seed this past weekend. Will be going back to the lease this weekend if time permits to clean up senderos and get some more ground blinds built.
                  Last edited by Jmsck12; 04-03-2018, 12:51 PM. Reason: Spell check

Comment

Originally posted by Jmsck12 View Post
                    Killed two rattlers two weeks ago in the evening while making some rounds at the lease. Also just put out 2700 pounds of cotton seed this past weekend. Will be going back to the lease this weekend if time permits to clean up senderos and get some more ground blinds built.

The rattler:
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5761.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	24535438

Cotton seed feeder:Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5802.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	24535439

Comment

Originally posted by Jmsck12 View Post
                      The rattler:
                      [ATTACH]903298[/ATTACH]

Cotton seed feeder:[ATTACH]903299[/ATTACH]

Where do you buy the cotton seed?

Comment

Originally posted by CoolArrow View Post
                        Where do you buy the cotton seed?

We got this from willamar cotton gin in raymondville. About 10 minutes from our house and only 15-20 from the lease so it’s really convenient. Total was 2700 pounds for 260 dollars.

Comment

In to hunt Dave's place this year

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mac5dawg View Post
                            I live in South Texas just outside of La Pryor near the Hwy 57 and 83 junction. If anyone is ever in need of help, let me know. It is nice and green around here and deer are loving the forage. Last year was a good year on our ranch but I am really looking forward to this year’s bucks. We had a lot of 4.5 and 5.5 year olds that hopefully will be back bigger than ever. Best corn prices around here are at Oasis in Uvalde usually around 5.95 for a 50# bag.

I hunt right down the Road from you in Crystal City.

Comment

I need to get out to the lease and feed haven’t had time to go due to work but im itxhing to go!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X