Question about tanning a hide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about tanning a hide

So last summer I killed a nilgai. I wanted to save the hide, so I decided on a whim to salt it. I soon realized a storm was coming and I got desperate and folded it up and stuck it in my freezer. It has been there since. Is it ruined?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Big hides like that are hard to thaw properly without slippage. I would get it out and try your best and see if the hide is still good. You have nothing to loose at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
      Big hides like that are hard to thaw properly without slippage. I would get it out and try your best and see if the hide is still good. You have nothing to loose at this point.
      The issue is, I dont have the time to mess with it right now and I'd bet most taxidermist are closed. I could really use the freezer space but dont want to trash it if it is good. So basically I keep it in there, or trash it.

Comment

Try calling the guys at north Texas tannery. Nice folks and great prices. Long waits though. 8 to 10 months I believe. They could probably tell you what options you have.

Tanning services for wholesale,deer hunters rancher and farmers.taxidermist

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

Comment

One potential issue would be rolling/folding a salted skin up is the inside may never freeze and cause a slip. If it was dried completely you may be OK.

Comment

Originally posted by BO-N-ARO View Post
            One potential issue would be rolling/folding a salted skin up is the inside may never freeze and cause a slip. If it was dried completely you may be OK.
            This is my concern. I'm not positive the inside of it is even frozen. It did take a while to freeze on the outside.

Comment

Call NTT and ask them. If they think it’s salvageable, drop it in the mail.

Comment

Working...
              X