Ever retire a gun..?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ever retire a gun..?

I plan on hunting with my dad’s old 270 Winchester this rifle season.... I would like to harvest a buck with it and then put the rifle up..in my safe..until my grandson gets old enough..and wants it.... It was made in ‘48..and has taken it's share of deer thru the years.... It just hasn’t been used..in probably 20 years.... I’m sure there are others who have old guns..passed down..and just don’t use them anymore....
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Keg; 08-01-2019, 10:52 PM.

I have a browning a5 that is in immaculate condition. My grandfather purchased it new for me as a kid. I hunted with it for years always taking care of it. I knew one day I wanted to have kids so I called my dad and told him I was hanging up the a5 and it was his turn to buy me a white lightning Citori.
    We got 3 white lightning citoris, all back to back serial numbers. My mom and dad have 2 I have the 3rd. One day I will have all the citoris and they will go to my 2 boys. The guns will get used again and hopefully carry on the meaning to my boys as much as they have meant to me.

Comment

Nope, guns are made to be shot and enjoyed.

Comment

My grandpa's Remington 742 woodsmaster. I think everyone in the family has taken their first deer with it. It's about shot out, rifling is gone. I keep it well oiled in the gun safe.

Comment

My Dad’s Remington Model 760 Gamemaster pump-action. 1953. Shot my first deer sitting on his lap. Cleaned, sighted and has a place in my safe forever.

Comment

Mom bought me a Win 94 30-30 when I was 13-14 yrs old. Never had a dad so Mom did it all!! Even though she was handicapped from polio she bought the gun then got someone to take me hunting. Took my first deer, a four point, with it.

Haven't shot it in well over twenty (maybe thirty) years so season before last I got it out and shot a 137" 9 point. Brought a tear...

Comment

My grand dads pet rifle, a 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser that he sporterized and blued himself sits in the gun closet. He died in 1993 and that gun has sat for 20 years without a shot fired through it. A few deer seasons ago I got it out and used it that season. I actually shot a few deer with it with ammunition he loaded about 6 months before he died. It was pretty neat. The buck I shot that year was probably the biggest buck that had ever been shot with that rifle.

I say use old guns, but don’t abuse them, and if you are able, use them along with other equipment that your dad used. My grand dad’s binos were a pair of old Zeiss Bono’s that he bought used in the early 80’s. I still use those binos and when I used that rifle, it was the first time those binos had been used in conjunction with that rifle in 20 years. I felt like I was reuniting some old friends.

Comment

I have my Dad's S&W K22 that he bought brand new in 1953, he carried it on a trap line for many years and also shot Bullseye matches with it. Sits in my safe, now retired.

My favorite story with that gun is the neighbors had a small dirt tank and they was gonna fill it in. Dad, my brother and me went over after they had pumped it down to about three feet,took a seine and started catching fish. My brother and I was running the seine and dad was standing on the bank shootin snakes with the K22. That would be called child endangerment now

Comment

Originally posted by coker737 View Post
                  My Dad’s Remington Model 760 Gamemaster pump-action. 1953. Shot my first deer sitting on his lap. Cleaned, sighted and has a place in my safe forever.
                  Same gun. About the same year.
                  .257 Roberts
                  I killed with it and retired it.

Comment

Nice old Model 70. Hope you kill a big one with it. Our heirloom guns were stolen when I was a teenager.

Comment

I have a Browning BLR 243 that was my grandpas and it’s what I killed my first deer with. In fact that was probably the last deer killed with it. I took it out 5 years back or so and shot a big heavy 8 and then put it back in the safe. I’ll probably bring it out again one year, but really waiting till my daughter is old enough to start using it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yup... got a vault full of them. My dads, moms, both my grandfathers and my great grandfathers. All will be passed down. Some of them may not be worth $100, but they're worth the world to me.

Comment

My dad takes my grandpas old hunting rifle out opening morning every year

Comment

My dads first shotgun. Model 12 Winchester 12 ga.
                            My grandfathers favorite deer rifle. 30-06
                            My first deer rifle. Winchester model 94 30-30

Comment

Originally posted by ptaylortx View Post
                              My grandpa's Remington 742 woodsmaster. I think everyone in the family has taken their first deer with it. It's about shot out, rifling is gone. I keep it well oiled in the gun safe.
                              Yup we just retired ours this year. Does not mean it will never get shot again but we just aren’t going to hunt it anymore.

Comment

Working...
                              X