Had An Idea - Video Editing - Help Those in Need

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had An Idea - Video Editing - Help Those in Need

All, I have a friend from college that does video editing and freelance type stuff and has his own 1 man shop. We are supposed to go to Canada in May for fishing and bear hunting (I'm the only one in the group hunting) with a group of his family and were talking about whether the trip would happen with the border being closed, etc. Anyway, he mentioned that this is hitting him and his wife pretty hard financially as a lot of his projects got cancelled and his wife owns a yoga studio which is now closed.

I had a thought and wanted to test the waters here before I even talked with him. So, would anybody be interested in having him put together videos for them? I was thinking initially about hunting videos but it could be vacations, kids birthdays, etc. I know I have a decent amount of raw hunting video that I keep saying I want to actually make a video out of splicing things together, adding music, etc. I don't know if it would be financially feasible for y'all or him (I don't know what he would charge, etc.) but before I got too far into that I wanted to see if there was even enough interest in having it done to pursue.

Thanks for any and all replies, even if it shows that it isn't feasible. If there is a hint that it is feasible I'm thinking I will get him to make a video for me to show y'all and get a handle on price and see where it goes from there.

To the top but with the number of views I'll take that as not a whole lot of want for something like this. Thanks for taking a look.

Comment

I would be interested. I was thinking about this topic lately. I generally like to film my hunts, but hate spending the time editing it and putting it together. I was doing research on just sending the video out to someone to edit for me. Two issues came up: 1-how do they feel about hunting? Do they understand it and would they do a good job depicting it from my footage? 2-Is it affordable?

In my research it seemed difficult to find someone that would satisfy my requirements on both of those. The most affordable ones where overseas, but how comfortable was I sending money over seas to places like Romania? Honestly, not comfortable at all. If they had hunting experience then then the price tag was generally high.

What got me thinking about this is my next African trip. Plan to go after Buffalo with my bow and take my boys for the first time. Would like to get it all video'd. My PH can film it as he has done in the past. I can hire someone there to film and edit, but I feel like I'm in less control of the final product. If I could simply take all the raw footage and have someone here do it that would be great. But, of course, it has to be reasonably priced.

So, to answer your question simply.....yes, I would be interested

Comment

Originally posted by rladner View Post
        I would be interested. I was thinking about this topic lately. I generally like to film my hunts, but hate spending the time editing it and putting it together. I was doing research on just sending the video out to someone to edit for me. Two issues came up: 1-how do they feel about hunting? Do they understand it and would they do a good job depicting it from my footage? 2-Is it affordable?

In my research it seemed difficult to find someone that would satisfy my requirements on both of those. The most affordable ones where overseas, but how comfortable was I sending money over seas to places like Romania? Honestly, not comfortable at all. If they had hunting experience then then the price tag was generally high.

What got me thinking about this is my next African trip. Plan to go after Buffalo with my bow and take my boys for the first time. Would like to get it all video'd. My PH can film it as he has done in the past. I can hire someone there to film and edit, but I feel like I'm in less control of the final product. If I could simply take all the raw footage and have someone here do it that would be great. But, of course, it has to be reasonably priced.

So, to answer your question simply.....yes, I would be interested
        Thanks for the reply. On your first question, my friend doesn't hunt but he does fish to the point of tying his own flies. Will that translate to what you want from a hunting video? Hopefully but I couldn't guarantee it.

And no clue on price either. He may charge $20 per video or he may want $200. I think both are extreme and it would be somewhere in the middle or some kind of hourly charge. I know it may not be what he wants to do but if it keeps his lights on he may be willing to do it short term.

Even if it is one person, maybe just me, at $100 it would help him out.

Comment

Definitely not a bad idea. I've edited videos for people in the past from vacation videos to hunting/fishing videos. For me it has been helpful as very small supplemental income for my own video and/or camera equipment. Googling rates for video editing will show some very astronomical fees that are not unusual for editing. It takes a lot more hours than most probably consider to do all of the trimming and splicing of the video, sound editing, music, transitions, credits, rendering, uploading etc. Plus depending on the camera work, it can be a real pain in the butt just to piece something together cohesively that makes sense. Fortunately my last project had some pretty good footage and sound to work with, which makes it a lot easier to put something together that people actually want to watch.

I enjoy it, so it's fun to watch people's stories come to life in a fully edited project. If he wants to give it a shot, I'm sure there are some people who wouldn't mind putting some of their old raw footage to work.

Comment

Working...
          X