Halletsville Schools - Feedback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
    Y'alls girl's basketball team put a whoopin' on our girls last Tuesday in a warmup game before playoffs started. Y'all are 3A and we're 1A, but we got humbled after running the table in District. They were the best coached and most respectful young ladies of any team that we faced all season.
    Thank you for the compliments. I knew they were playing a school in Kingwood, but did not know the team classification. Good luck to you all in the post season.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
      Did any of you natives there know any Pustka's? I went to college with Frank and his younger brother Richard. I understand Frank lives on the big island in Hawaii and did quite well in the garbage/waste business.
      They are my older brothers.

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote Canyon View Post
        They are my older brothers.
        Well, alright! Where is Richard now, and what does he do for a living?

Was I correct about Frank? I heard this from another classmate. He was in my class of '69, and I believe Richard was a year younger.

What's your name and where do you live?
        Last edited by Burnadell; 02-17-2019, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
          Well, alright! Where is Richard now, and what does he do for a living?

Was I correct about Frank? I heard this from another classmate. He was in my class of '69, and I believe Richard was a year younger.

What's your name and where do you live?
          I sent you a pm

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
            Ah hell.....JES, now you know what can happen to your kids if you move there.
            Moving there will stunt their growth?!

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
              Moving there will stunt their growth?!
              The two Pustka brothers I knew were pretty darn beefy; played SWC foortball in the line. They weren't stunted.

Comment

SweetHome

Comment

Grew up north of Hallettsville around Moravia. A lot of good people in that area. Plenty of church picnics to keep your weekends busy during the Spring, Summer, and Fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Great area to live in. Got lots of relatives all over that area and say the small schools are great.

Comment

Originally posted by deerplanter View Post
                      I got a couple of buddies that graduated from there and they are sort of normal.:

Haha X2, went to school with some guys who grew up there and all good guys who liked the area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Michael lives there and I beleive Jnett teaches there.

Comment

Halletsville is a great community.

Comment

You put an offer in yet?

Comment

Originally posted by camoclad View Post
                              idk about the schools but i know they take em frozen down in halletsville, they dont take em alive. the jackal cries....
                              They pay 2.50 down in Hallettsville, three dollars...maybe more.

My family (sans Michaela) moved to Hallettsville in 2015 and it was a great move for us. My girls were welcomed in right off the bat and love(d) going to school here. A few people told us folks could be a little cliquish toward "transplants", but we have experienced quite the opposite. My wife was able to get a job at the public middle school and we feel like part of the community.

As with a lot of small towns, HS sports are well supported throughout the community. Emphasis is put on baseball/softball, but the football and basketball programs have been strong, as well. Courtney played Volleyball and they were a playoff team, but it definitely takes a backseat to the other sports for the girls. There is pretty good support for Ag programs, as well.

I feel like my girls were able to get a good education from the public school. Smaller schools don't offer the variety of programs and extracurriculars as larger schools, of course, but I believe most of the teachers and administrators put emphasis on education and, importantly, receive support from parents and the community. My girls thrived in a small school environment with fewer "distractions" that can come with bigger, suburban schools. I don't get a sense that there is any significant drug problem in the town/schools, but drinking beer is definitely a pastime!

One thing we've had some difficulty with is finding a good church home, as Hallettsville is largely a Catholic community. There are Baptist, Methodist and a couple of small non-denoms. If your family is Catholic, it won't be a problem.

As far as finishing the school year and then moving, I'll urge you to consider the opposite. We let the girls finish the school year before moving to Paris in 2007 and then spent 3 months during the summer trying to entertain our kids because they didn't have any friends or know anybody in town! We started considering (on a whim) a move to Hallettsville in March 2015 and once we made the decision I wanted to get the girls moved ASAP - BEFORE the end of the school year. We moved in late April so the girls would have a month at the local school to make friends and get acclimated before the summer. That worked out really well!

Holler if you have any other questions or let me know when you're in town and maybe we can meet up and I can show you the local haunts!
                              My Flickr Photos

Comment

great school district with strong small town feel

Comment

Working...
                                X