Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tags left, fill the cooler or let him get older?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tags left, fill the cooler or let him get older?

I've taken one nice buck at the ranch this year already. Getting him shoulder mounted.

At my house though, the picture below is of the only buck i've decided i might take. We have a few more (over 13" and one spike buck) that frequent the feeder but this is the oldest looking buck i've seen on camera. If they're legal in my area the neighbors normally take them regardless of age. I can't decide if i want to take him to fill the tag and the freezer or let him go another year.

Right now we're at about a 1:1.5 buck to doe ratio best i can tell. What do y'all think? Fill the freezer or let him go?
    Attached Files

Chooot!!

Comment

He's not that old, but I'm in the camp of shoot what makes you happy. Will he make you happy? Or do you want to dream on something all offseason?

Comment

Shoot some does at the ranch and let him go.

Comment

He’s not very old. And you already have a nice one. Take it from a guy who started trying to shoot as many trophies as possible years ago. They will add up quick and eventually loose the same value they once had. I’ve changed now and am much more selective and enjoy my hunts much more. Besides if you haven’t realized yet, no one cares about they deer you shoot except for you.

Comment

He wouldn't be a trophy. I'd still euro him, but he'd mainly be killed for the meat.

Comment

If you've already shot one that you're mounting, I would pass and shoot does. Now, having never killed a P&Y deer, if I had a good buck in the freezer and a for sure P&Y buck stepped out, I would take a second buck. The deer in the pic looks to be less than P&Y to me so I would pass.

Comment

Working...
              X