"Easier" Terrain Elk Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My dad has always wanted to go elk hunting in the mountains with my brother and I and we want to take him. He's gotten in pretty good shape for his age but I wouldn't sign him up for a bivy backpack wilderness hunt. He does weights and cardio 4-5 days a week but he does have a banged up college football body that we need to account for.

We were thinking a outfitted rifle hunt packed in on horses might do the trick.

Does anyone have a good recommendation for an outfitter in a unit that has easier terrain relatively speaking, I realize we are still talking about elk hunting and there will be mountains involved. Prefer earlier season and not late season as part of what he will enjoy will be just taking in the scenery
    of the backcountry.

Potential bull size isn't the most important factor because he'll be happy just to be there but would love the potential for him to see some decent elk. Location/State is not important but he doesn't have any points anywhere except for the one I just purchased for him in Wyoming.

Whadya say green screen.

We went to NM in Unit 12 with Arizona Pro Elk Hunts back in 2017 I believe. It is pretty easy terrain. Keith Williams was the outfitter. He could probably hook you guys up with what you are looking for.

Last edited by TildenHunter; 10-16-2020, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Thanks, ill check in some of the details on this.

Comment

Also, for reference, he's plenty capable of handling rougher terrain than the photos TildenHunter was nice enough to share.

Comment

Bull Valley Outfitters in New Mexico. If you have fb look up Wes Armenta. My dad and I went on a mule deer hunt with him a few years back. Good guy and can flat out hunt.

Comment

Your dad sounds like he could handle most elk hunts, honestly. If you're on foot, you shouldn't be hunting more than two or three miles deep. All of which to say, don't just rule out DIY. A wall tent basecamp hunt can be really special in terms of making memories, and you can kill elk just fine.

Comment

Are you set on outfitted or would go DIY?

If you wanted or were up for DIY there’s numerous places in WY and MT that are not to rough of country that are easy very easy to draw and would be much less crowded than going to CO.

Comment

Originally posted by Buck_jane View Post
                Bull Valley Outfitters in New Mexico. If you have fb look up Wes Armenta. My dad and I went on a mule deer hunt with him a few years back. Good guy and can flat out hunt.
                Do you know if they have landowner tags you can buy? Draw odds ain't good for that area even with an outfitter.

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
                  Are you set on outfitted or would go DIY?

If you wanted or were up for DIY there’s numerous places in WY and MT that are not to rough of country that are easy very easy to draw and would be much less crowded than going to CO.
                  We aren't against taking him on a DIY hunt at all so yes that could be an option. I've just started to really look into WY for myself as well and have been trying to sort through the wilderness vs non wilderness areas of the state to see where we could hunt without an outfitter.

Not asking for any spots by any means but if you would be willing to even recommend a couple units you had in mind to look into it would be greatly appreciated. I understand if you prefer to PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gclyde28 View Post
                    We aren't against taking him on a DIY hunt at all so yes that could be an option. I've just started to really look into WY for myself as well and have been trying to sort through the wilderness vs non wilderness areas of the state to see where we could hunt without an outfitter.

Not asking for any spots by any means but if you would be willing to even recommend a couple units you had in mind to look into it would be greatly appreciated. I understand if you prefer to PM.
                    I saw one of the biggest elk I’ve ever seen 2 weeks ago in WY hunting MD and pronghorn, this was in an area I would have never guessed i would find elk. Far from any national forest or wilderness. There’s lots of elk away from wilderness. Get your dad a preference point for WY (closes nov 2) if that is a state y’all are thinking about that way you’re putting in with an extra point next season. The eastern side of the state is much easier terrain and with going in the draw with 2 points I would think your odds would be decent and even better if you opted to go special. Both Montana and Wyoming are good states for an every other year or 3rd year hunt, if you’re willing to wait just a little bit.

Send wytex a pm, she is very helpful and can go into a ton of detail a lot more than I can.

Comment

Originally posted by Gclyde28 View Post
                      Do you know if they have landowner tags you can buy? Draw odds ain't good for that area even with an outfitter.
                      Yes he gets landowner tags

Comment

after 3 years of hunting elk in Colorado you will find there are elk in all areas of terrain. Plains, Front Range Low Elevation, Wilderness, etc. They will thrive where they have food, protection, water, etc. Most of the elk I have found have been in the lower elevations. Leave the higher elevations to the horses and hardcore young guys who want to go deep and live off their back.

Comment

Stay as flat as possible but more important as low elevation as possible. My one and only trip so far was horseback in, with base camp at 10,000' on Lizard Head Pass. It was fun, but a serious butt whipping everyday.

Comment

Ttt

Comment

there are farm land hunts in Eastern Colorado, Wyoming & Montana. These are truly the easiest terrain available. not high fence....but farm land.

Comment

Working...
                              X