Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2018 San Angelo surrounding area season thread.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CMS View Post
    Looks like good times! Are your boys shooting yet? Jackrabbits are good practice. I like your cottonseed feeders!

Thank you, sir. We were debating what kind of cottonseed feeders we wanted to go with. My boys are 5 and 7 so right now they are shooting a .22 and a recurve. I really want to get them into shooting this year to move to that next level and hopefully get my 7 year old on his first deer this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I think they got enough to get me taken care of this weekend [emoji51]

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1047.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	24533789

Headed west! This wind is brutal!

Comment

Holy cottonseed..

Comment

Good luck this weekend fellas! watch out for the rattle bugs bet they will be out in force!

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
              I think they got enough to get me taken care of this weekend [emoji51]

Pick me up some and drop it out west

Comment

That is out west[emoji13]

Comment

That is out west[emoji13]
                  No further west.......

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
                    No further west.......

Amen [emoji1360][emoji1360][emoji1360]

Comment

Busy weekend with a lot of thing accomplished....whooped but glad everything is full, upgraded and/or repaired.

Topped off cotton seed. 2800 lbs in two runs. Place is greening up with the 2" of rain so I may get some more time out of these. I like it when mother nature foots most of the food bill anyway.

Took the full base off both frames to make them even lighter this time. They'll be able to bump it around even more now.

Name:	IMG_0606.jpg
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	24533903

Like I said earlier....Cottonseed for days!

Name:	IMG_9904.jpg
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	24533899

After the deer showed me how they would absolutely clean up every stitch of cotton seed in the first load this year, I wasn't so worried about making sure I only got enough to fill the feeder or keeping it all in the feeder.

Name:	IMG_0873.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	24533905

Soooo..we stacked it pretty deep..

1500lbs at Seismic in an 1100 lb feeeder..

Name:	1500 lbs.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	176.7 KB
ID:	24533901

and 1300 in another 1100 lb feeder

Name:	1300 Slacker.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	24533902

I like hauling it in the back of the truck bed even though it takes two trips (30 minutes from the front gate). The shoveling is easy at that height and I can back my truck right back up to. Nick pushed it down and I shoveled it all into the totes off the back half of the bed and tailgate. This was Nick's first time and he said "man that went fast and was much easier than I expected" after doubting me..lol Glad to have a source so close I can run to..

Name:	1300 Slacker shovel.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	24533900

So onto water. Normally this is uneventful but this trip that was not the case. Both my systems have two totes and both braided steel washer hoses come to a Y to fill one trough. Well the two big freezes of late 2017 and 2018 cracked each Y and my water was empty. Not happy but luckily Humper had a similar thing happen and I had two backups. Whew crisis averted and didn't need to make another trip to town. The oasis is back open for business....

Name:	000 Seismic water.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	184.8 KB
ID:	24533906

Name:	000 Seismic water1.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	194.9 KB
ID:	24533907

Nick and I added tinted plexiglass to all our center shooting windows and added a few peep windows for him so he can see behind him. We normally have the center shooting windows open but have had to close the center window a few times to trick some deer to come in on bad winds including the one in my avatar. So now we can see out front whether the windows are closed or open. All went smooth.

Name:	00Seismic blind updated.jpg
Size:	186.7 KB
ID:	24533908

Name:	00Seismic blind updated1.jpg
Size:	193.0 KB
ID:	24533909

Killed some coons and lost a trap to a chain break! Saw him trapped as late as 7am Sat am on my Covert but he was not there at 8:15... Chain was missing three links and a trap... only caught three total and then lost one. One night...10 traps out.

Name:	000Cuffbreak1.jpg
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	24533910

Name:	000Cuffbreak.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	24533911

Nick doesn't get to do the trapping thing much since he now lives in Kansas so we put him on the trigger this am.. and yes...I told him he was crazy for not wearing snakeboots.

Name:	Nick coon.jpg
Size:	180.6 KB
ID:	24533912

And another (screen shot from a video.)

Name:	Nick coon2.jpg
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	24533913

Also added a stronger solar panel to my Seismic blind's cell boosters. Since it was in the shade my current panel was not keeping up. Had this one in trade from a lease member and we'll see how it does.

Name:	IMG_0964.jpg
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	24533914

Name:	IMG_0965.jpg
Size:	179.3 KB
ID:	24533915

Finished the weekend up filling 4 600lbs corn feeders, brushing in some of our natural turkey bow blinds, cleaning rack upgrades and some other miscellaneous camp work. All in all it was a busy productive three days. Glad to be able to sit back for the next three weeks and wait for turkey season to come to me. We are whooped.....but enjoy the helluva out of it. Funny how deer lease work does that..
                      Last edited by Smart; 03-11-2018, 01:29 PM.

Comment

I’m looking forward to this thread now that I’m just north of Eldorado

Comment

Originally posted by sbushee View Post
                          I’m looking forward to this thread now that I’m just north of Eldorado
                          Welcome to the Angelo area!

Comment

Busy weekend with a lot of thing accomplished....whooped but glad everything is full, upgraded and/or repaired.

Topped off cotton seed. 2800 lbs in two runs. Place is greening up with the 2" of rain so I may get some more time out of these. I like it when mother nature foots most of the food bill anyway.

Took the full base off both frames to make them even lighter this time. They'll be able to bump it around even more now.

[ATTACH]900085[/ATTACH]

Like I said earlier....Cottonseed for days!

[ATTACH]900081[/ATTACH]

After the deer showed me how they would absolutely clean up every stitch of cotton seed in the first load this year, I wasn't so worried about making sure I only got enough to fill the feeder or keeping it all in the feeder.

[ATTACH]900088[/ATTACH]

Soooo..we stacked it pretty deep..

1500lbs at Seismic in an 1100 lb feeeder..

[ATTACH]900083[/ATTACH]

and 1300 in another 1100 lb feeder

[ATTACH]900084[/ATTACH]

I like hauling it in the back of the truck bed even though it takes two trips (30 minutes from the front gate). The shoveling is easy at that height and I can back my truck right back up to. Nick pushed it down and I shoveled it all into the totes off the back half of the bed and tailgate. This was Nick's first time and he said "man that went fast and was much easier than I expected" after doubting me..lol Glad to have a source so close I can run to..

[ATTACH]900082[/ATTACH]

So onto water. Normally this is uneventful but this trip that was not the case. Both my systems have two totes and both braided steel washer hoses come to a Y to fill one trough. Well the two big freezes of late 2017 and 2018 cracked each Y and my water was empty. Not happy but luckily Humper had a similar thing happen and I had two backups. Whew crisis averted and didn't need to make another trip to town. The oasis is back open for business....

[ATTACH]900089[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]900090[/ATTACH]

Nick and I added tinted plexiglass to all our center shooting windows and added a few peep windows for him so he can see behind him. We normally have the center shooting windows open but have had to close the center window a few times to trick some deer to come in on bad winds including the one in my avatar. So now we can see out front whether the windows are closed or open. All went smooth.

[ATTACH]900091[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]900092[/ATTACH]

Killed some coons and lost a trap to a chain break! Saw him trapped as late as 7am Sat am on my Covert but he was not there at 8:15... Chain was missing three links and a trap... only caught three total and then lost one. One night...10 traps out.

[ATTACH]900093[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]900094[/ATTACH]

Nick doesn't get to do the trapping thing much since he now lives in Kansas so we put him on the trigger this am.. and yes...I told him he was crazy for not wearing snakeboots.

[ATTACH]900095[/ATTACH]

And another (screen shot from a video.)

[ATTACH]900096[/ATTACH]

Also added a stronger solar panel to my Seismic blind's cell boosters. Since it was in the shade my current panel was not keeping up. Had this one in trade from a lease member and we'll see how it does.

[ATTACH]900097[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]900098[/ATTACH]

Finished the weekend up filling 4 600lbs corn feeders, brushing in some of our natural turkey bow blinds, cleaning rack upgrades and some other miscellaneous camp work. All in all it was a busy productive three days. Glad to be able to sit back for the next three weeks and wait for turkey season to come to me. We are whooped.....but enjoy the helluva out of it. Funny how deer lease work does that..
                            That's a lot of work for the south side slacker club

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
                              That's a lot of work for the south side slacker club
                              The slacker "rainforest" is full of feed. Need more rain though..

Its starting to green up but it won't last long.

Comment

Smart since your place is in good shape I need you to go hit mine.

Comment

Working...
                                X