when to retire an arrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

when to retire an arrow

Just wanted to get some opinions. Do you ever retire arrows?

On occasion I see images of guys in the ER when an arrow splinters during the shot process and ends up in their arm. Should we retire them if we get a pass through with an animal secondary to possible damage from bone?

Any thoughts?

Mine typically end up broken before they make it to retirement age. I know it goes without saying, but always flex check your arrows. Even if they're brand new.

Comment

I've shot same arrows many times, always check them after a kill, have never had a issue.

God Bless
      Bish

Comment

X2 above

Comment

They break before I ‘retire’ one.
          Flex it before you shoot everytime.

Comment

I got to be able to find mine to retire them.

Comment

Killed 3 animals with the same shaft last year. Broke it in a pig earlier this season.

Comment

Bish got it

Comment

I've have one that I still use that has passed through two pigs. Flexes as it should and no abrasions.

Comment

Flex them like others have said also check both ends for damage if the ends look good and they pass the flex test fling em again

Comment

When a pig breaks it or it flies off in to outerspace on a passthough/rock deflection.

Like above I flex after each shot on an animal and it goes back into the number one hole if it can. I'm big on good shooting "lucky arrows". I think 8 deer/turkey was the most I had on one arrow until my big pig killed with FND snapped it on his second step lodged in his both shoulders. My current is 5 and we thought it was lost ...but BoneThug found it in the snow after we analyzed the video in an environment warmer than the less than 30 degree windchill we had that day.... It was easy to pinpoint without the hands shaking..
                      Last edited by Smart; 01-07-2021, 11:51 AM.

Comment

I build a dozen new arrows every year. I cut last years arrows down and give them to young kids learning to shoot.

Comment

thanks for all the input. sounds like I just need to flex and check them for abrasions and put them back into the lineup.

Comment

Good info on here.

Comment

And, that is why I shoot Easton XX75s

Comment

Working...
                              X