Got sick from cleaning a deer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got sick from cleaning a deer?

Has anyone ever been sick from handling or cleaning a deer? Me and a buddy went hunting 2 weekends ago and he shot a doe. There were no visible signs of sickness, nothing weird looking on or in the deer. We quartered her up and the next evening I got a mad case of diarrhea. I called my buddy the next day and he got the same thing buy with vomiting. This sickness lasted both of us over a week! We didn't make any stops or eat anywhere on the way to or from the lease. Whats going on!

Maybe it was something y'all both drank? To answer your question..no, never

Comment

Never.
      Did y'all gut her?
      Was she gut shot or did y'all accidentally cut the stomach?

I have heard stories of people getting sick after messing with a guy shot deer.

Comment

You may have had the flu.

Comment

More than likely something you both ate on the trip.

Comment

Jose Cuervo??

Comment

My guess is a bad case of "Doe Fever"

Comment

No, never wear gloves, and many times be eating fried deer meat or food of some kind off a plate, or napkin, while skinning a deer.

Comment

I know a guy who shot a buck on a Friday and the next evening wound up in hospital with a bad infection in his hand. He had cut it earlier in the week pretty good at work. He said it was healing fine until after cleaning the deer but who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by txagyotebuster View Post
                    I know a guy who shot a buck on a Friday and the next evening wound up in hospital with a bad infection in his hand. He had cut it earlier in the week pretty good at work. He said it was healing fine until after cleaning the deer but who knows.
                    ive had an open wound get infected but sounds like yall hit the jim bean too hard or got the flu

Comment

You guys kissed in the stand. Admit it.

Comment

Never had that happen. I have probably cleaned well over 150 deer.

Comment

Originally posted by Genesis 1 Hunts View Post
                          Has anyone ever been sick from handling or cleaning a deer? Me and a buddy went hunting 2 weekends ago and he shot a doe. There were no visible signs of sickness, nothing weird looking on or in the deer. We quartered her up and the next evening I got a mad case of diarrhea. I called my buddy the next day and he got the same thing buy with vomiting. This sickness lasted both of us over a week! We didn't make any stops or eat anywhere on the way to or from the lease. Whats going on!
                          Sounds like you should invest some time and money in some bleach or something to clean the counter tops and other things
                          A clean camp is a happy camp

Comment

Originally posted by Shake N' Bake View Post
                            Never.
                            Did y'all gut her?
                            Was she gut shot or did y'all accidentally cut the stomach?

I have heard stories of people getting sick after messing with a guy shot deer.
                            No gut shot and guts were never cut.

Comment

No, however, you should always wear gloves when skinning/gutting any game animal, as they can have parasites.

Comment

Working...
                              X