DIY trapping a Coyote/cat/coon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY trapping a Coyote/cat/coon

Well with all the new interest in trapping I thought I would do a DIY post about it….There are tons of videos on YouTube and a lot of good info on Trapperman.

I’m not a professional trapper but think i have the basics down.

For Coons I will be using either Duke DP traps or Duke 1 ½ coil spring traps. Coyotes and cats will be using duke #3 and #4.

Coons are not as picky and you can use new traps with just the oils removed. Coyotes are really weary and the traps need to be scent free.

Let’s get started with getting the traps ready to set. The new traps have factor oil on them that needs to be removed. I then dye and wax the traps so they are scent free. In order for the dye to stick to the traps they need a little rust. After washing the oils off I soak them in vinegar/water so they will rust up and be ready for the dye.

I bought 6 duke #4 4x4 traps.

First step is the wash the traps with soapy water. I used regular dawn dish soap with hot water. This will remove all the factory oils from the traps.

Second step is soaking them in vinegar water. I put about ¾ of a gallon of vinegar to about 3 gallons of water in a five gallon bucket. I let the traps soak in this bucket overnight. This solution will make the traps rust faster.....

Traps look pretty much the same this morning, but we will see what they look like after sitting out all day.

This is going to take a few day so don’t get in a hurry…If your traps are not scent free they will be dug up. lets see if i can get some pics loaded
    Last edited by yanta61; 02-04-2014, 09:31 AM.

The Vinegar is acidic and etches the traps, which allows for quicker rusting..

You can also boil new traps in water and a small amount of baking soda to remove the rust and odors, but just boil for a few minutes..

Great thread!

Comment

Can you elaborate on the process of actually dying and waxing them?

So do you want them to rust or not?

Seems like it would be easier/quickr to boil in a little baking soda, BUT I am starting out doing this and a rookie and trying to learn from yall

Comment

Has anyone tried the full metal jacket dip. I haven't yet kinda skeptical on it some have tried it an love it

Comment

Can you give us pic of each type of trap and what animal they are for?

Comment

Originally posted by giterrell View Post
            Can you elaborate on the process of actually dying and waxing them?

So do you want them to rust or not?

Seems like it would be easier/quickr to boil in a little baking soda, BUT I am starting out doing this and a rookie and trying to learn from yall
            The rust makes the dye stick to them better. Waxing helps them work more freely and slows the rusting down. I run my new traps through the dishwasher, while my wife is working nights. I soak mine in either sea salt or kosher salt water, iodinated salt doesn't work as well, for a day or so then hang them for a day and they're ready to dye and wax.

Comment

I'm thinking about making some of these...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1xMhB0I1W4&noredirect=1"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1xMhB0I1W4&noredirect=1[/ame]

Comment

No pic

Comment

I will show all the steps. Here is what they look like 12 ht after I pulled them out of the vinegar water.

Then I made up some double stake swivel/holders

I was going to star the dieing process tonight but was out of propane. Will also make up 2 drags tomorrow after work.

Comment

Yes you want the traps to rust some so the dye sticks. I will go over the dyeing and waxing hopefully tomorrow when I get my propane tank filled.

I watched the video before and it's looks like a really good idea. I like making things so maybe I will try some out. Will also make some drags tomorrow.

Comment

Starting on the left is a duke dog proof trap, then a duke #1-1/2, then duke #3 modified, then duke #4 4x4 offset.

I have some duke 1.75 but there set out. The dog proof and 1.5 is what I set for coons. The #3 and #4 will be for cats and coyotes.

A close up of the #3 to help show the mods.
                      That pic shows the laminations I welded on. Since these are not offset jaws I added the lams to get a wider surface area on the animals leg. Which will help cut down on damaging the foot or leg

Then I removed the stock chain and added a base plate with center D ring Also added a heavier chain and swivel.

Comment

Following

Comment

awesome..Can't wait to see how to do this dye and wax process. I am clueless and never done it

Comment

I used a speed dip last year and loved it. It really made the traps snap fast. JMHO

Comment

Man this is great, keepem coming...

Comment

Working...
                              X