No announcement yet.

The River is Calling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great video! I've wanted to do something like this for many, many years.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary View Post
      I will land next Friday from work in LA at 4:30 pm. I could have my 4Runner packed and ready to roll .... just sayin'

Life is short - let's kayak! (My new motto )

Wife and girls have Camp MeMe next weekend and want to go the following. Nothing says we can’t go both weekends, though! [emoji12][emoji106].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      My Flickr Photos

Comment

Great video!

Comment

Originally posted by bklem View Post
          Great video!
          Thanks for the "inside" information! I don't know if you noticed the "No Trespassing sign that I put in the video, but it was brand new and was posted at the place we camped on our previous trip. It looks like somebody else had camped there after we did (based on the new wood and fire ring.) We were intentionally planning on camping farther down the river, anyway, but sounds like there would have been potential for a bit of a confrontation had we stayed there again.
          My Flickr Photos

Comment

The River is Calling

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            Wife and girls have Camp MeMe next weekend and want to go the following. Nothing says we can’t go both weekends, though! [emoji12][emoji106].

Can’t do that following weekend. I will be 1st base cheerleading my Astros. [emoji51] But free this next one.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              Thanks for the "inside" information! I don't know if you noticed the "No Trespassing sign that I put in the video, but it was brand new and was posted at the place we camped on our previous trip. It looks like somebody else had camped there after we did (based on the new wood and fire ring.) We were intentionally planning on camping farther down the river, anyway, but sounds like there would have been potential for a bit of a confrontation had we stayed there again.
              Yea like I said they really are good people but just still kinda hold onto some old standards. Owning both sides of the river in this country is unheard except for this particular ranch so ..... Looks like y’all camped across from the youth camp we talked about. Above the amphitheater? Wherever you were, it was much more “welcoming” than the previous place.😁 Can’t wait to catch up with y’all on one of the trips.

Comment

Always great videos from you Michael, I enjoyed it very much.

Comment

Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Enjoyed the video! Y'all are making me want to buy another kayak- ASAP!

Comment

That is awesome! I would love to do something g like that with my boys sometime. What are the logistics of the float? Did y’all catch any fish, I have never caught a Guadalupe bass and would like to.

Are there any “outfitters” who do a drop off and kayak rental?

Comment

We've had issues doing this in the Colorado River before. Even though the banks are public (as long as you don't leave the bank), people get very angry. Best if you can find an island to camp on when you're on the Colorado. Guadalupe looks like a great time.

Cool video.

Comment

Originally posted by bklem View Post
                          Yea like I said they really are good people but just still kinda hold onto some old standards. Owning both sides of the river in this country is unheard except for this particular ranch so ..... Looks like y’all camped across from the youth camp we talked about. Above the amphitheater? Wherever you were, it was much more “welcoming” than the previous place.😁 Can’t wait to catch up with y’all on one of the trips.
                          I think we were just before the youth camp (if I'm looking at GE correctly). The previous place was just big enough for three hammocks. This place was a little more accommodating for a slightly larger group. I'm learning that's a big consideration when planning the group size!
                          Originally posted by Cantcatch5 View Post
                          That is awesome! I would love to do something g like that with my boys sometime. What are the logistics of the float? Did y’all catch any fish, I have never caught a Guadalupe bass and would like to.

Are there any “outfitters” who do a drop off and kayak rental?
                          We caught a few fish. Casey and Dane spent a little more time fishing, but we were moving pretty quickly to stay on "pace." We did catch a few Guads. On a previous trip (a couple of years ago) along this same stretch, Mary, Colette and I caught quite a few Guads, largemouth and catfish. Colette caught a really nice largemouth right at the railroad spillway near River Bend Rd. Oh, and Mary "caught" $60 cash in the same spot! Here's that video.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfo9nqACjSU"]Kayak Camping - Catch and Cook on the Upper Guadalupe - TBHVJ 38 - YouTube[/ame]
                          My Flickr Photos

Comment

The River is Calling

Originally posted by BitBackShot View Post
                            We've had issues doing this in the Colorado River before. Even though the banks are public (as long as you don't leave the bank), people get very angry. Best if you can find an island to camp on when you're on the Colorado. Guadalupe looks like a great time.

Cool video.
                            Fortunately, we've never had a confrontation, but I always try to be prepared for one. The question becomes how much do you want to attempt to "educate" the landowner vs avoiding conflict and just moving on down the river to a different spot.

I agree that the best option is to try to find an island, or a very remote location to set up and stay as low profile as possible. (And, of course, “leave no trace!”)

How did you handle the issue you had?
                            My Flickr Photos

Comment

Another great video Michael!

Comment

We just moved on once. It was crazy because we actually were on an island but the landowner was pitching such a fit we just figured it wasn’t worth it. Another time we had fully setup camp and we told the guy we wouldn’t leave the bank and then read him the law and politely told him if he wanted to call the Sheriff to verify what we were saying we’d be happy to have the conversation. He sort of grumbled but left us alone.

It’s a little easier in the Colorado to define the banks, because the water level is usually way down below the surrounding land. Can be a gray spot if the land slowly slopes down to the water like many parts of the Guadalupe.

Comment

Working...
                                X