? for the pellet grill/smoker guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im looking at buying one real soon, but I have a quick question.
    My neighbor just bought one and he cooked some steaks on it(was the first cook on it), they were good, but had a funny kinda taste to them. Was that just from the pit not being seasoned enough, or not enough cooks on it yet? It was weird taste that I hope isn't always there. Hoping that after a good several cooks it'll go away.
    Anyone else notice this when first using your pellet grill/smoker

Originally posted by junior View Post
    My neighbor just bought one and he cooked some steaks on it(was the first cook on it), they were good, but had a funny kinda taste to them. Was that just from the pit not being seasoned enough, or not enough cooks on it yet? It was weird taste that I hope isn't always there. Hoping that after a good several cooks it'll go away.
    I haven't... Possibly the pellets he used. What would you describe the taste as?

Comment

I would season smoker first, fill with pellets and let it smoke on high, maybe put some bacon on it to season it.

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
        Did he burn it out first? I know on mine I had to go through the process of burning all the crap out of it. Stunk like oil and paint. After you do that its all good.

Comment

Hahah I bet he didn't "cure" it before grilling the steaks, yikes! That'd be a funky flavor and smell.

Comment

As said above about it being seasoned properly. If that was done then definitely the pellets. You want to use pellets that are 100% wood with no fillers or binders.

Comment

As already stated, I "seasoned" my pit with a high temp burn per the instructions. I would imagine that might be the issue.

I have not had the same issue

Comment

I recently got a pellet smoker. I probably didn't do it right but the steaks I cooked on it were the worst tasting steaks I've ever had. Even worse than a buffet type place.

Comment

I think he did the initial “seasoning” as per the instructions, it’s a rec rec, but it was the first cook on it and as for lack of better words, it tasted like the metal or something. Just a funny little aftertaste. He used the pellets that came with the pit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Im going with not long enough. Friend of mine has a rec tec and it cooks well. I like it better than my camp chef or brothers traegar

But, I don't think any of us have cooked steaks on them

Comment

I have a pitts and Spitts 1250 and I cook on it almost every night love it had a few of the China junk grills yes is costly but it cooks way better . First burn in pretty simple high heat for 45 minutes then I spray mine down with pan and rub the grates off and that is it , once you get bacon on it its done as far as i am concerned

Comment

Originally posted by HDWRENCH View Post
                        First burn in pretty simple high heat for 45 minutes then I spray mine down with pan and rub the grates off and that is it , once you get bacon on it its done as far as i am concerned
                        Does this mean you do not advocate the use of bacon on the grill? If so, why not?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                          Does this mean you do not advocate the use of bacon on the grill? If so, why not?
                          I have used bacon many times to season a grill, I thought it worked out great.

Comment

I fired my 700 Bull up for the first time and did a Brisket last weekend and it was pretty awesome. I followed the instructions and did the one hour/400F pre use burn the day before and the next day it produced a near perfect piece of meat. I used the Rec Tec ultimate blend pellets which is probably what your buddy used as well. I washed everything down with soapy water, dried it off and followed the procedure. Sounds strange to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Last edited by muddyfuzzy; 07-19-2019, 07:54 PM.

Comment

I agree it does need to be used “ seasoned” for a while. But with pellets you do get a a different smoke taste, all most all are made from oak with a little flavor supposably added. So to me they all taste the same for the most part. Some are better then others but none have the true chunk wood smoke taste. There are ways you can change that , if that is the taste you are talking about.

Comment

Working...
                              X