Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 05-01-2021, 08:23 AM   #51
randal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Crowell

I went thru this but I ended up just going to the tax office and saying it was a 500 lb trailer with a 3,000lb capacity and they gave me a tag no issues..
randal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2021, 09:22 AM   #52
Buckshot4900
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas/Mississippi

Do you happen to have another trailer with a tag?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Buckshot4900 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2021, 09:00 AM   #53
CoachS
Six Point

Hunt In: Floresville , Stockdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamron View Post
Or just cut the tongue off and weld another one on. Seen that alot. Instant homemade..
Just sayin
Thatís not a bad idea
CoachS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2021, 09:34 PM   #54
DoveBlaster
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stephens County, Anywhere

Iíve got a home made trailer that just sits cause I got tired of dealing with the sorry sobs

DoveBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2021, 11:58 PM   #55
RifleBowPistol
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachS View Post
Yes sir that’s what I was trying to do. But when I took it to have it inspected for that form 68A the officers wouldn’t register it like that because they said no it’s a manufactured trailer.
I would ask them, how they can tell a trailer made in 1984, was a manufactured trailer? If they are sure of that, they should be able to tell you who made it and when. If they can't I would tell them they need to go with home made.

The few trailers that were made by some company back in the 80s, were probably made in small numbers, no serial number plate, and no records.

I would almost go back and make some nasty looking stick welds over some of the nice clean welds. Make a lot of rookie welding mistakes deliberately, try to make it look like a home made trailer. If they stick with that it was a manufactured trailer, you are never going to get it registered.

At what point does a trailer going from being home made to being manufactured? I know of multiple chassis builders, that also build trailers for their race car customers. Those trailers are very well built, custom, one off, low production trailers, with no VIN tag or VIN ECT, on them. We used to own one, that was built by a race car chassis guy, back in the 90s, we had it built.

Then some years later I bought all of the piece of a trailer, from another chassis guy, who started to build a trailer for one of his customers who quit racing, before the trailer pieces got welded together. I welded that one together. When I got it, it was almost like a trailer kit. I basically just welded all of the pieces together, added a box on the front and then painted it.

Every time I hear about someone having trouble getting a trailer registered and some cop thinks the trailer is a manufactured trailer, I think about the trailers I have had over the years. I bet the guys that have those trailers now, don't have either of them registered at this point.

I have seen some high school AG project trailers that came out very nice, enough so, they looked like they were built by a trailer manufacturer. So what happens when someone goes to register those trailers? They are likely going to run into the same problem.

When someone copies the styling and the way a manufactured trailer was built, but they build it themselves. It's likely going to come out looking like a manufactured trailer.

These new rules are screwing a lot of people, this is a discussion my buddies and I have had a few times.
RifleBowPistol is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 12:36 AM   #56
El Viejo
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

If I ever have a trailer to get worked on, I know who I'm gonna see about doing it. You did an outstanding job doing that, CoachS, maybe a little too good, as some have said.
El Viejo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 09:09 AM   #57
kurt68
Ten Point

Hunt In: Waller Co. and Rocksprings and "H"

My son who bought a boat and trailer off here, had to have it inspected here in Montgomery County. Has a serial # and date of manufacturing from 1969. They would not take it. The serial # wouldn't come up in the system, so had to go thru the rigors of getting inspected and weighed. Montgomery county is one of the most theft of trailers in the state, they don't fool around. I was with a buddy in Kroger parking lot a few years ago here in Montgomery county, he was pulling a his flatbed trailer, and unmarked police car pulled up and detective climbed under his trailer to run the vin #.
kurt68 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 10:47 AM   #58
CoachS
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Viejo View Post
If I ever have a trailer to get worked on, I know who I'm gonna see about doing it. You did an outstanding job doing that, CoachS, maybe a little too good, as some have said.
Thank you I appreciate the compliment.
Old 05-04-2021, 10:48 AM   #59
CoachS
Six Point

Here’s an update. I spoke with the detective yesterday and he agreed it could be a homemade trailer. Going to go meet him and pick up my 68A today!!! Thank you green screen for all the advice!
Old 05-04-2021, 10:49 AM   #60
CoachS
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot4900 View Post
Do you happen to have another trailer with a tag?

No sir.