Crossbow Differences...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crossbow Differences...

So I've never been into crossbows but my lease allows us to bring guests, I would next year like to be able to bring a guest during bow season as if they kill a management before a certain date then I am allowed to kill a better "management" or "rack buck" (new term to me but I'm going to roll with it).

Question, I've been looking into buying a crossbow just for my little brother to use or a guest. What are the differences in the super expensive and cheaper bows? I mean are they quieter, easier to draw? Better optics maybe?

Seriously I have no clue the difference from a $700, $500 and $300 dollar bow?
    If anyone also has a used on for sale I may be interested.

All I know is the centerpoint 370 is a lot of bang for the buck. Super quiet accurate and cheap.

Comment

Excalibur just rolled out a new budget bow called G340. I have had several crossbows and Excalibur is the best by far...

Comment

Originally posted by WTJim View Post
        Excalibur just rolled out a new budget bow called G340. I have had several crossbows and Excalibur is the best by far...
        I agree with this^^^ the simplicity of the Recurve limbs and you can change
        the string in the field can't do that with the compound crossbows also no wheels to get out of time.I like our Excalibur crossbows

Comment

So a lot of it has to do with the adjust ability? Stuff like that?

Comment

Originally posted by mpotts View Post
            I agree with this^^^ the simplicity of the Recurve limbs and you can change
            the string in the field can't do that with the compound crossbows also no wheels to get out of time.I like our Excalibur crossbows
            You can easily change a string on a Mission crossbow in the field...
            Besides that, how often have you ever had to change a string in the field? I have been bow hunting for almost 30 years and have never had a string break while hunting. So basing my decision on ease of changing a string in the field is not a priority.
            IMO Excalibur’s are slow, loud, and harder to cock. I could name several bows I would buy before I would purchase another Excalibur, but to each his own...

Comment

Originally posted by CB_TxNole View Post
              So I've never been into crossbows but my lease allows us to bring guests, I would next year like to be able to bring a guest during bow season as if they kill a management before a certain date then I am allowed to kill a better "management" or "rack buck" (new term to me but I'm going to roll with it).

Question, I've been looking into buying a crossbow just for my little brother to use or a guest. What are the differences in the super expensive and cheaper bows? I mean are they quieter, easier to draw? Better optics maybe?

Seriously I have no clue the difference from a $700, $500 and $300 dollar bow?
              If anyone also has a used on for sale I may be interested.
              The more "expensive" bows are in fact, easier to draw. They also have a trigger that is more like a rifle trigger than a crossbow trigger. A smoother trigger means better accuracy at distance. Also you can get a crank with the more expensive bows which makes coking them repeatedly much more enjoyable. The main difference (as far as I know) is the warranty though.

If this is the direction you are leaning, I would look at the Mission line of bows. They carry the same warranty as their "vertical" bows, a smooth trigger with little to no creep and are wicked fast.

If something a bit cheaper is the way you are leaning then I would look at the Centerpoint Sniper 360. It will come as a complete setup for 300 bucks but the trigger isn't as smooth as the "expensive" bows. It is an accurate bow but would need a scope upgrade IMO. Also keep in mind that you can't get a crank for it so repeated shooting tends to wear on you.

I own both a Mission Charge and the Centerpoint Sniper 360 & shoot both on occasion. I do prefer my Mission when I go hunting though. The Mission has shorter limbs than the Sniper which means it is less bulky and fits in the stand better with me and my camera.

Which ever way you decide to go, get some QUALITY bolts. As with vertical bows, they make the difference in accuracy as well. You could PM me if you have more questions about them.

Comment

New to the crossbow world. I have the centerpoint sniper. Very pleased with it for the price I paid. Got some good heavy arrows for it. I guess I can complain about the trigger but nothing else.

Comment

Originally posted by big_smith View Post
                  All I know is the centerpoint 370 is a lot of bang for the buck. Super quiet accurate and cheap.

100% a great Xbow. It was on sell for less than $200 the other day also. We have one and it has killed 2 deer now. It also withheld a dry fire ( went ahead and replace stuff to be safe but was shocked how well it held up for $200)
                  I know 3 or 4 people with them and none have had any issues and all killed animals with them.

Comment

Bought the Sniper 370 for my daughter. She has killed two deer with it and loves it. We have not had an issue with it being spot on. Seems like a great bow for the money.

Comment

What kind of drop are y'all getting from 20-30 yards? I have a parker tornado that should be @340fps and it drops almost 7".

Comment

my PSE tac 15 shoots like 420 fps and sighted in about 1" high at 20 its about 3" low at 40
                        It shoots almost regular arrows instead of bolts the are longer than bolts I think that helps with the trajectory too and the absolute best thing about the tac 15 is it uses an ar15 lower so you have the trigger of an AR instead of the regular crummy crossbow trigger

Comment

I have a tenpoint titan that I bought for my kids to shoot. They are 11 and 12 and can regularly shoot less than 2 inch groups at 30 yards. It has the crank up draw system that my small frame wife can cock with ease. She and I can shoot less than 1 inch groups at 40 yard. I have to admit, I am hooked on it as well. They are expensive going in, but like a good rifle, you pay for accuracy.

Comment

More money = More quality components
                            Most any of them will kill a deer
                            Get the best you can afford and PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE
                            I wouldnt hand any weapon to someone who has never fired it and send them out to the field on my place.

Comment

I bought this one off of Amazon for my son as a knock-around bow that we keep out at the lease. It has killed a pile of animals, and it's fun to shoot. Trigger is terrible but everything else has always worked well.

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X