Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ANYONE still trying to grow Huge NATIVE Low Fence Whitetails???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chew View Post
    Yep. I have 21 acres in Leon County. I've been pouring the corn all over. Average buck has increased from 90" to 100" in 5 years. Hopefully I can get a P&Y before I'm too old to draw a bow.
    Lol, that is the real deal for most people on this site.

Comment

Originally posted by bukkskin View Post
      Yeah, just Google it.
      All they can eat pellets and cottonseed and let them get to 10 or 12 yrs old before ya shoot.
      That's what I got out of it.
      Yup I know the pasture and plan. I've said my .02 in years past about DD.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
        Yup I know the pasture and plan. I've said my .02 in years past about DD.
        Are you still down 85, or you moved to a different area??

Comment

Originally posted by bukkskin View Post
          Are you still down 85, or you moved to a different area??
          Low fence in Hildago Coah and south of Guerrero Coah.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

I am. 2nd year in Coahuila Mexico near Villa Union.

Comment

I’m new to the website. Where would I post pictures of deer to get help aging them etc.

Comment

Originally posted by DallasCoon12 View Post
                I’m new to the website. Where would I post pictures of deer to get help aging them etc.
                Management thread Age/Score, trailcam pics. Good luck in Villa Union, one of my good friends owns a ranch there. He's also on here, his name is Coahuila, but he rarely gets on.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                  Management thread Age/Score, trailcam pics. Good luck in Villa Union, one of my good friends owns a ranch there. He's also on here, his name is Coahuila, but he rarely gets on.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                    Yep. I have 21 acres in Leon County. I've been pouring the corn all over. Average buck has increased from 90" to 100" in 5 years. Hopefully I can get a P&Y before I'm too old to draw a bow.
                    That's funny! My dad has 22 acres in Leon County no joke! He's owned it 5 years and the only person allowed to hunt it is my 15 year old daughter, last year the first deer was killed off it when she shot a 4 yr old 8 pt.

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
                      wish we could hear a little about their nutrition program.... is there any info on it out there?
                      This is the funniest thing I've read all day!

Comment

Originally posted by coop2564 View Post
                        I have had a HF 1000ac place with native deer Frio co. for 7yrs now. Protein feed at rate more than biologist recommended rates and winter wheat. Largest buck we have killed to date is 159 5/8 gross, another 159 3/8 some 157,156,154,153 etc. we are letting the bucks get to 7.5, but see little to no jump from 5.5 to 7.5 even in mass. Native brouse hurts us on good years...deer do not eat as much protein on good brouse years and always have smaller racks as a result. Biggest racks come on dry years when they have to eat protein 10-15" more. We also kill a lot of 7.5 -8.5 yr old 6, 7 and 8pt than score 120's, are avg. buck scores about 135'' thats 7.5yo all Frio co deer. Some of are bucks weigh over 200lbs highest 228lb. We have had some bucks that had best rack at 5.5 some at 6.5 but I think its more a product of health and food that year than age. We had typ 12 at 5.5 that we think would of scored 167 thought for sure next yr he would break BC but next yr was only 153 still a 12, next yr 155, he is 8.5 now and looks only 153 but is 13pt and has lost tine length and mass. Moral of story is native deer have a ceiling.Age and food aren't the answer. Doesn't mean at some point a 170 wont hit our dirt, just shows how rare they are without genetic help.
                        Sounds Like You Have to Many Deer or Have Brush Issues. No Reason You Shouldn't Be Growing better Deer Than That. I've Grown Deer in the 160s At Home where 100s are the Avg. Trophy. Have You Ever Tried to Get a Figure on How many Deer you Have on the ranch and What It Will Support?

Comment

Isn't everyone who hunts low fence looking for huge native low fence bucks?

Comment

Originally posted by Encinal View Post
                            Isn't everyone who hunts low fence looking for huge native low fence bucks?
                            There's a big difference in looking for one and trying to get lucky, and growing your own and improving your herd...but hey I'll take luck any day. Sure is alot easier.

Comment

I just saw this discussion. We have 16,000 acres in Webb County and have been managing it for close to 18 years. We fed protein and Cottonseed. We are MLD and have never had any induced genes on our place. We are surrounded by several other big ranches and they hunt also. It is not easy, and Lord know’s it take a lot of patience, time and hard work. But the rewards are so worth it. Taking free range low fence bucks in the 160-200’s get all of us excited and proud that we are able to do it. Most of our bucks are 7-1/2 or older when we harvest them. Some of our bucks have had the best set of horns at 9-1/2. Mother Nature has a lot to do with it also. I know we are the exception to the rule, but we feel a sense of pride when we grow a Book Deer using native genetics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by rattler7696 View Post
                                I just saw this discussion. We have 16,000 acres in Webb County and have been managing it for close to 18 years. We fed protein and Cottonseed. We are MLD and have never had any induced genes on our place. We are surrounded by several other big ranches and they hunt also. It is not easy, and Lord know’s it take a lot of patience, time and hard work. But the rewards are so worth it. Taking free range low fence bucks in the 160-200’s get all of us excited and proud that we are able to do it. Most of our bucks are 7-1/2 or older when we harvest them. Some of our bucks have had the best set of horns at 9-1/2. Mother Nature has a lot to do with it also. I know we are the exception to the rule, but we feel a sense of pride when we grow a Book Deer using native genetics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                                Can I get an amen?

Comment

Working...
                                X