Got food plot put in today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got food plot put in today

This is my first time planting a deer food plot. Normally rely on corn but want to get more action during a sit. Spent a few hours yesterday evening and 8 hours on the skid steer and tractor today. It was tough getting to the dirt through the switch grass and Chinese lantern vine. After mowing I used a grappler attachment on the skid steer. Pointed the teeth vertically into the dirt and went backwards. Ripped the grass right up. Then i smoothed it out with a disc behind the tractor and spread out the seed. Went back over it with the disc. Rain is in the forecast over the next couple of days, so hoping the timing is right.

Good luck. Seed bed looks good

Comment

That's good looking dirt. Good luck with your plot. I got the last of mine in today too.
      Attached Files

Comment

This one was planted last Saturday. Wheat and medium red clover. I'm anxious to see what the clover does next spring and summer.
        Attached Files

Comment

Did the same today, it rained on me this morning while plowing so i waited until afternoon to drill seed. The good rain this afternoon should get it all started pretty quick.

Looks like i used the same seed, camo bag? I mixed with several bags of wheat.

Comment

Pray for rain and cooler weather!!!

Comment

Looking good, only down side is discing may cover the smaller seed too deep on those blended foodplot mixes.

Comment

Originally posted by steve morton View Post
                Looking good, only down side is discing may cover the smaller seed too deep on those blended foodplot mixes.
                Yep, but not too concerned as the disc I use is very light and doesn't turn the dirt up.more than 1"......hopefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                  That's good looking dirt. Good luck with your plot. I got the last of mine in today too.
                  Now, that is a seed bed.

Comment

I got one of my plots in yesterday as well. Rained here hard last night.

Comment

Originally posted by No-Tox View Post
                      Now, that is a seed bed.
                      Dry creek is a pro. But I believe he’s been working this soil for a while.
                      Yours looks good.

Comment

Originally posted by No-Tox View Post
                        This is my first time planting a deer food plot...

Looks good. I planted that bwi mix last year and it grew well. Today I spread out a bag of the same mix in a standing summer plot, mowed, it and then it rained. Hoping for the same results w/o discing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I didn't even think about putting out fertilizer when spreading out the seed (then again, I wouldn't have had the energy to do so anyways). So, should I get fertilizer on it as soon as I can or my original thought was to put fertilizer on it when it starts coming up? Also, would a 13-13-13 work or what is best for food plots?

Comment

RYE grass is no bueno. Crappy mixture IMO

It will look great, but deer won't eat it and it will take over your plot

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                              RYE grass is no bueno. Crappy mixture IMO

It will look great, but deer won't eat it and it will take over your plot
                              Rye is on 5% of the mix. What would you have gone with?

Comment

Working...
                              X