No announcement yet.

What pellet grill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not trying to high jack OP thread but are y’all getting good smoke on your briskets with the pellet grills? I have a BGE XL and like it but I do find it hard to get more smoke like I want with it and that’s my fear with pellet. I’m fixing to start increasing our brisket sales at our restaurant and need to be able to cook multiple at a time but don’t want to be up all night tending a stick burner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I do ok when cooking below 230 and use in conjunction with an Amazen tube. Once you get above 250, I tend to loose the smoke and it becomes more like an outdoor oven.

Comment

I don’t think you’ll go wrong with any of the brands mentioned here. Personally I bought a Pit Boss PB1000SC2 a couple of months ago and I’m definitely liking it, especially at the price point.

I’m pretty sure this one is an Academy exclusive model as all the searches I’ve done for it point me in that direction. It set me back $600+tax but it was already assembled so bring it home, season it and burn it off then go to town.

It’s already gotten a hell of a lot of use and that’ll continue Friday evening when I put an 18.27 lbs brisket on it for a long cook. That was the smallest one Kroger had so I’m glad I have the extra room.

Pellet wise you can find B&B Championship at Academy or Wal Mart for $14.99/40 lb bag. I’ve become a fan of the Championship Blend as it flavors what you’re cooking awesome all around. When I drop that brisket on in a couple of days I’ll put a couple of probes from my Meater Block into it, hang out for a while and then go to bed. As mentioned above a couple of times, I’ve done my time adding wood to a stick burner as well as watching temp gauges. I’ll happily go with easy mode for a while.

Comment

Pittboss 1100 at lowes
          I have 2 of them and they work great

Comment

Originally posted by erikm1981 View Post
            Not trying to high jack OP thread but are y’all getting good smoke on your briskets with the pellet grills? I have a BGE XL and like it but I do find it hard to get more smoke like I want with it and that’s my fear with pellet. I’m fixing to start increasing our brisket sales at our restaurant and need to be able to cook multiple at a time but don’t want to be up all night tending a stick burner.
            I have a Rec Tec 700 and I get plenty of smoke on my briskets, for sure more than my Primo. One note on the Rec Tec is that the lower the temp, the more smoke you get. If you get down to 180, it goes to an Extreme Smoke mode if that is more your taste. You can put 5-6 hours of smoke and then bump your temp via your phone to 225-250 and finish it off for the duration.

I am not sure how much you need to produce but Rec Tec makes a large model 2500 BFG and it will hold some meat for sure.

Comment

Yoder YS640 all the way

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                Paid just north of $400 for mine.

So far I am happy with it, but the temp bounces a lot more than all the reviews said it would.

OP, do a search here, this topic has been discussed MANY times.

Mine holds temp great . Maybe a 2 degree swing here and there . From what I have read a lot has to do with the brand of pellets . I have only used mine a few times .

Comment

I've got a Cabela's pellet grill. Lifetime warranty. Works great. No concerns with it.

Comment

Sure am reading good things about RecTec

Comment

Originally posted by Passthrough View Post
                      You can't go wrong with RecTec. Two of my neighbors who competitively cook and cater go them. I bought his old Cabela's pellet grill from him when he got his RecTec. They both swear by them.

Comment

I absolutely love my green mountain grill when it works. 13 months of owning it 1 power cord and 3 hot rods later. Granted they send me the parts free of charge, but not being able to use it memorial day sure ticked me off. Maybe I'll cook something on it in the next 5 days or so when it works again

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
                          Mine holds temp great . Maybe a 2 degree swing here and there . From what I have read a lot has to do with the brand of pellets . I have only used mine a few times .
                          Mine held the temps great the 10 months or so, then, not so much. I do find if I clean it out regularly, it does better, but, I’m not cleaning it every time I use it.

Comment

Originally posted by Passthrough View Post
                            Love mine! I just grilled some chicken on it earlier today.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a couple of Traegers, one for the house and one for the lease. I have no complaints on either of them. Used them for the past three years and they cook as good as they did when new. I think you’ll get a different opinion from everyone who owns a different one.

Go with whatever brand you think you’re getting the best bang for the buck and then sit back, drink a cold one while not having to tend to a fire.

Comment

Very impressed with my rec tec

Comment

Working...
                                X