What pellet grill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What pellet grill?

So I have been wanting to buy a pellet grill for a while and I found out I have a friend that is setup as a dealer for Traeger. I was wanting to stay around $1000 or less for one, and it looks like I can get the Ironwood 650 with a cover, folding shelf, cutting board, cast iron griddle, some other small items, and about 5 bags of pellets for about $1100 with freight.

Being that I can get a Traeger for a better price than retail, should I even consider another brand?

I see lots of good things on the Rec Tec, Pitts and Spitts, etc. but I think I would be spending more to get the same.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

I've had great luck with my Pro 34. Bought for $700 at Home Depot. I've ran a few hundred pounds of pellets through it since February and it's been flawless. Good luck!

Comment

If you're getting a deal, I would consider a Traeger. I was not a fan at their retail pricing. Whatever you purchase, make sure it has WIFI. I have a Rec Tec 700 and it's a great cooking tool.

Comment

I like my green mountain grill . Have that daniel Boone . Was 499

Comment

They all seem to be pretty comparable.

I have a Pit boss and I like it for grilling. I'm not a fan of pellet grills/smokers for exclusively smoking meat. I like stick burners.

My neighbor has the Rec Tec RT-7000. Its higher quality compared to my pit boss, but he doesn't have a flame broiler like mine. One of my favorite features if you like to grill steaks.

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
            Same here.

Comment

I'd look at PitBoss, Rec Tec or Yoder before buying a Traeger. Make sure to use B&B pellets, competition blend, no what unit you purchase!

Comment

Originally posted by 220swift View Post
                Same here.
                x3

I have a GMG Daniel Boone and use it 3-4 times a week. I ended up going with this model based off price point, warranty, customer service, quality, and it has wifi. For the price point it cant be beat IMO.

That being said there are better options as far a quality out there but at a much higher price point.

Comment

A stick burner has the "old school" appeal but I found I was always fighting to maintain the temperature I wanted throughout the cook- either a little too hot or a little to cool. The wife and I bought a Pit Boss two Saturdays ago and have used it three times so far cooking chicken, ribs, and a brisket. Chicken and ribs turned out really good but the brisket lacked a little bit- still working on a rub to enhance the flavor. Really liked the idea of setting the desired temperature for cooking and not having to worry about it (some would say "like an oven"). Besides, as I have gotten older, having to get up at the crack of midnight to get a stick burner going and ready to cook in order to have something ready by lunch time has gotten old.

Comment

Don’t have any experience with any of them other than my Oklahoma Joe Rider DLX... best purchase I’ve made in a while. Worth considering

Comment

Love my Pitts & Spitts 850

Comment

I just bought the Rec Tec 590 yesterday so I am still waiting on it to be delivered. I was under $1k and I have high hopes for it. I don't smoke too much and will use it for general grilling more frequently than long smokes. I have done steaks on my cousins Rec Tec at 600F and they turned out great. I have also done pizzas and chicken/turkey. I have read that a smoke tube helps with getting better smoke/bark on longer cooks so that may be something to look in to. I wanted the 700 but i measured the old New Braunfels smoker I have used for years and the 590 actually has more cooking area so I could not justify it.

Comment

Originally posted by Russ79 View Post
                          A stick burner has the "old school" appeal but I found I was always fighting to maintain the temperature I wanted throughout the cook- either a little too hot or a little to cool. Really liked the idea of setting the desired temperature for cooking and not having to worry about it (some would say "like an oven"). Besides, as I have gotten older, having to get up at the crack of midnight to get a stick burner going and ready to cook in order to have something ready by lunch time has gotten old.
                          This right here is the real reason I went to a pellet smoker. Add wifi and you are in a different realm of cooking. It is a huge time saver. The ability to start your grill and get it to temp with no work, just a simple keystroke to start it up while you are prepping meat. Add to that the fact of stable temps, no crazy temp swings and just super consistent results.

I don't use it for high temp grilling but I do cook burgers and chicken with no problems at 350 and I get good results, taste great and everyone is happy.

I use my Primo Kamado less for sure. I am a fan of Sous Vide steaks and searing in cast iron in the kitchen so that was not a concern in my decision. I may try a few reverse sear smoking cooks and see how that works.

Comment

I like my Louisiana Grill

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
                              Paid just north of $400 for mine.

So far I am happy with it, but the temp bounces a lot more than all the reviews said it would.

OP, do a search here, this topic has been discussed MANY times.

Comment

Working...
                              X