Knife guys! Need some input on blades!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knife guys! Need some input on blades!

Looking at upgrading a couple knives for Christmas and liking the looks and specs of the LT Wright large northern hunter and small northern hunter. The two blade materials offered for the large is cpm 3v and AEB-L. I know the general difference between the two, but would like to get some expedited input on those two steels as far as ease of sharpening and durability.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AEBL will be more easily sharpened. It's my go to for kitchen knives. Performs like a carbon steel, but doesn't rust.

Less familiar with 3V, but in general the V series have high vanadium. Tend to be abrasion resistant, harder to sharpen.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Fry View Post
      AEBL will be more easily sharpened. It's my go to for kitchen knives. Performs like a carbon steel, but doesn't rust.

Less familiar with 3V, but in general the V series have high vanadium. Tend to be abrasion resistant, harder to sharpen.

Plan is to use them for skinning and breaking down deer and elk. Hope I made a good choice Bc Santa has it coming. Lol

Comment

Next up is going to be a custom build that is more of a daily carry. Hopefully someone has some input on that as well

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Fry View Post

Also, what would be your go to for a hunting/skinning knife? Hard to find what I want in an A2 or D2 steel.

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
            Plan is to use them for skinning and breaking down deer and elk. Hope I made a good choice Bc Santa has it coming. Lol

I just looked at a Victorinox knife 4110 steel I think?
            It was awesome

In D2 steel knives of Alaska would be my go to ( had some and they were stolen)

The knives you ordered have awesome reviews ( had a maple leaf blade knife and thrall enjoyed it to tell it was stolen also) https://survivalcommonsense.com/revi...rthern-hunter/
            Attached Files
            Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 12-11-2019, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
              I just looked at a Victorinox knife 4110 steel I think?
              It was awesome

In D2 steel knives of Alaska would be my go to ( had some and they were stolen)

The knives you ordered have awesome reviews ( had a maple leaf blade knife and thrall enjoyed it to tell it was stolen also) https://survivalcommonsense.com/revi...rthern-hunter/

For a pure skinning knife that’s affordable, this one is hands down the cats meow. I’ve skinned countless animals with it. Easy to sharpen, will do a deer or two before needing to hone it again, and won’t break the bank. It’s my go to for skinning around the house. I don’t pack it Bc I don’t have a sheath for it which is why it doesn’t go on back pack hunts in Colorado. Lol

Comment

My fav is still gonna be CPM 154 - originally ATS 34 made for jet engine rotors - very finely grained - marketed by Crucible (American) as 154 CM and finally as CPM 154 (Cruciblesteel Particulate Metalurgy).The scandi version of CPM 154 is RWL 34.

As for D2 I'd stick with CPM D2 - higher chromium content for far less rust - As Goddard said "D2 takes a sh---- edge and holds it forever"

A far overlooked steel is 52100 ball bearing steel - Carbon steel at it's finest with very little rust.

These are steels that can be ground very thin behind the edge as they have such a fine grain

On factory heat treated knives ZDP 189, M4, XHP and Elmax are my favs.

This is the Sh-- that goes through a knifemakers mind! AAARRGGHH!

Comment

I dont know about all the cool steels but I would take my buck 110 lite any day over my KOA feather light hunter. I swear I received a bad blade. Someone here mentioned that can happen when they batch heat treat blades.

Comment

Originally posted by ElfEyes View Post
                    I dont know about all the cool steels but I would take my buck 110 lite any day over my KOA feather light hunter. I swear I received a bad blade. Someone here mentioned that can happen when they batch heat treat blades.
                    I am not overly impressed with my KOA either. Very very hard to sharpen yet do not see any gains in blade staying sharp.

Honestly i could care less about all these fancy bla bla bla super high tech stainless this or the other.

The old carbon steel blades are easy to sharpen and keep touched up. I also like the patina they get. Stic serves me fine for years. I can touch up on back of a coffee cup or top of my truck window in a pinch.

Comment

Originally posted by ElfEyes View Post
                      Everybody but me seams to rave about their benchmade but I wouldn’t be surprised if I got a bad blade as well. It was dull after one deer FROM FACTORY. Have not been able to get it sharp again. Sending it in to BM but I have no confidence it will stay sharp once returned.

Comment

I'm kinda partial to this Voestalpine 26C3 carbon steel. It's been my go to for some while now. I don't know about resharpening because I haven't been able to dull it yet
                        A little finesse video I made
                        [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b-squ4SEZA"]26c3 steel knife testing - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Case Trapper in C.V the end.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Impressive video. Where do I get one? What do they cost?

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                            I'm kinda partial to this Voestalpine 26C3 carbon steel. It's been my go to for some while now. I don't know about resharpening because I haven't been able to dull it yet
                            A little finesse video I made
                            26c3 steel knife testing - YouTube

Comment

If you’re in to cpm d2 check out bob dozier. His heat treat is head and shoulder above other d2 blades I’ve used and his patterns are typically geared toward skinning and hunting. Only thing I dislike is the horizontal kydex sheath that’s included in most, although some have a vertical option. I’m partial to leather if I had a choice.

Comment

Working...
                              X