No announcement yet.

Laguna Atascosa 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like a nice deer congrats. Post more pics of him!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Congratulations, looks like a good deer.

Comment

Originally posted by TexAg07 View Post
        I got on the famous board at Laguna Atascosa yesterday. He’s not a monster but spot and stalk public land whitetails in Texas are pretty rare so I’m happy with him. Laguna is one of the coolest landscapes I’ve seen but is also one of the most inhospitable at times. At least on this late hunt you had to be willing to put in the work and the miles. Dropped this guy at noon, after doing a 5 mile loop hiking the entire NW corner of the refuge.. Did the gutless method in the field and hung the meat up in game bags in the shady breeze to cool down. Then made two 2.5 mile pack outs to the truck. Well worth it. Word last night was another Nilgai was down in unit 5.

Good work and nice deer! Did they make an exception on this hunt because of staffing? I understood you had to check all your harvested animals in. Your method is what I would've done also out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Looks like a nice heavy horned 8. Congrats.

Comment

This is my first post, but I read this forum alot and particularly this thread beacause my group was on this the hunt this weekend. This was an awesome hunt. But had way more work to do than all my previous draws. Lessons learned: in the later hunts game is spooked and bedded in hard. Only saw 2 nilgais, and took a cow in north unit 5 on Sat night 222 lbs. The federal game wardens will only come pick u up at the road after the evening hunts as long as the road is DRY and drivable. Our wardens were super cool. They picked us up twice (once on Fri night and again on Sat night) and waited a long time for us to get there. Totally recommend doing this hunt with a group. They stated they wont drive out during the day. I'll try to load a few picks. Met some really cool guys that posted earlier (Texas Ag), this is a great community of hunters and appreciate all the tips. I was up in north island point. U really need to push them to come out from being bedded down (how I saw the beautiful bull, which I wasn't prepared to fire at, but a better hunter could have got a good shot off).

Comment

Good job to you both. Hard but rewarding hunt!

Comment

Originally posted by StickyG View Post
                This is my first post, but I read this forum alot and particularly this thread beacause my group was on this the hunt this weekend. This was an awesome hunt. But had way more work to do than all my previous draws. Lessons learned: in the later hunts game is spooked and bedded in hard. Only saw 2 nilgais, and took a cow in north unit 5 on Sat night 222 lbs. The federal game wardens will only come pick u up at the road after the evening hunts as long as the road is DRY and drivable. Our wardens were super cool. They picked us up twice (once on Fri night and again on Sat night) and waited a long time for us to get there. Totally recommend doing this hunt with a group. They stated they wont drive out during the day. I'll try to load a few picks. Met some really cool guys that posted earlier (Texas Ag), this is a great community of hunters and appreciate all the tips. I was up in north island point. U really need to push them to come out from being bedded down (how I saw the beautiful bull, which I wasn't prepared to fire at, but a better hunter could have got a good shot off).
                StickyG, myself with our buddies and the game wardens. Both wardens were really helpful and saved us some miles both nights.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats on the cow! It’s definitely a tough hunt late season and anything killed is usually a trophy to talk about.

Comment

Originally posted by NxSTexan View Post
                    Good work and nice deer! Did they make an exception on this hunt because of staffing? I understood you had to check all your harvested animals in. Your method is what I would've done also out there.

No exception, all game must be checked. It’s the hide they really want to check for ticks, mine just happen to already be off the animal when I got to the check station. If you want to keep the hide it must be frozen for 24 hours before released. Regardless of if you want to keep though they want you to pack out the hide one way or another to be checked which was a PITA for me cause I didn’t have any interest in the hide. I just wanted the horns and skull so I skinned out the head while there so I could leave with it right away and not have to wait the 24 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Reaper View Post
                      Looks like a nice deer congrats. Post more pics of him!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
                      More pics and some video on my Instagram
                      https://instagram.com/p/Bs1Ut9ph8k8/

Comment

Originally posted by DPerez905 View Post

First one

And second one.

I shot that cow on the December 1-5th Hunt. She fed in to me perfect at 30 yards, wind in my favor and all, she knew something wasn’t right and trotted out to 60. I took a moving shot and led her too far. That’s what my solid broadhead did to her neck. I trailed her over half a mile, my pants and snake guards were covered in blood from the tall grass. Tough animals!!!

Glad you got her!!

Noticed your a Perez too! Ha ha
                        That’s funny!

Comment

Originally posted by mgperez View Post
                          I shot that cow on the December 1-5th Hunt. She fed in to me perfect at 30 yards, wind in my favor and all, she knew something wasn’t right and trotted out to 60. I took a moving shot and led her too far. That’s what my solid broadhead did to her neck. I trailed her over half a mile, my pants and snake guards were covered in blood from the tall grass. Tough animals!!!

Glad you got her!!

Noticed your a Perez too! Ha ha
                          That’s funny!

Yeah I was thinking it may have been a Bowhunter possibly taking a facing shot and shot high and grazed the side of her neck. Pretty cool to hear the story behind it though. I was actually wondering about it when I saw it. What unit did you try taking her in?

Comment

Yeah I was thinking it may have been a Bowhunter possibly taking a facing shot and shot high and grazed the side of her neck. Pretty cool to hear the story behind it though. I was actually wondering about it when I saw it. What unit did you try taking her in?

If you go down Bobcat road and stay straight instead of taking the first big curve to the right, I was all the way down where the dead end curls back in that open area. Not sure on the unit.

Comment

Bottom of 8 or top of 2, not sure on the delineation on the map.

She bled like crazy!

Comment

Originally posted by mgperez View Post
                                Bottom of 8 or top of 2, not sure on the delineation on the map.

She bled like crazy!

I shot her off west lake road down at the south end of 2. I know those animals are a lot tougher than most people know and that goes to prove iit.

Comment

Working...
                                X