Texas Draw hunts with Exotic opportunity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Texas Draw hunts with Exotic opportunity

I live in the DFW area and all of the public draws around me consist of Whitetail and hogs as far as large game is considered. I would love to get in on some draws this season that would have a chance at some Axis or Aoudad. Which ones should I be looking at?

I have heard Amistad is good for Aoudad, however please school me on this.

No draw hunts are good for exotics. They all suck. Close thread.....

Llano river, powderhorn (sambar), kerr, devils river, and i think the Guadalupe would be some of your better chances. Laguna for bull bules.

Amistead is Fed's so not apart of the TPWD draw system.

Comment

The draw hunt book is your friend.

Comment

Apply for them all but if you look at permit #'s compared to application numbers its a snowballs chance in hell to get drawn for any of them. I would highly recommend also looking out of state for better opportunity and draw odds, some even offer over the counter tags that don't require a draw, do your homework.

Comment

TP&W website, public hunting, draw hunts. Go thru what was offered last year. So you’ll have an idea in August

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Some areas have exotics in the bag limit, but have very few of them.

Comment

Originally posted by bigchiefj View Post
              Some areas have exotics in the bag limit, but have very few of them.
              Its bait and switch, was at one with the kids and they said yeah we got one Nilgia cow running around here, you can shoot her if you see her, that was their reasoning for including exotics in the bag limit

Comment

No way you'll ever get drawn in your lifetime. Find something else

Comment

Agree with all, I just got Drawn last yr. NOV> for Laguana Atascosa which they have Nilgia there with about 200 other hunters for Archery. Over priced and didnt see anything, I would focus on a general Whitetail that you can shoot Exotics with in the same drawn. Which leaves not many.

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
                    Its bait and switch, was at one with the kids and they said yeah we got one Nilgia cow running around here, you can shoot her if you see her, that was their reasoning for including exotics in the bag limit
                    I heard "we had reports of an axis sighting about 4 years ago".

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
                      They could always not include exotics in the bag limit and you won’t be able to shoot them.... Then people would be complaining about not being able to shoot them.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxnoodler View Post

They could always not include exotics in the bag limit and you won’t be able to shoot them.... Then people would be complaining about not being able to shoot them.
                        Exactly, lol this is getting down to the root of my question.

I'm trying to figure out which draws actually have the animal walking around as a legit recognizable population vs the one-off that someone claims to see every 5 years.

Comment

I noticed a difference in applying last year. are there pref points in texas? if not, i believe the odds of getting a drawn guided hunt for scimitar was 1/7000...

Comment

Originally posted by gvanwage View Post
                            Exactly, lol this is getting down to the root of my question.

I'm trying to figure out which draws actually have the animal walking around as a legit recognizable population vs the one-off that someone claims to see every 5 years.
                            Only one I've been on is Devil's River. Tough hunt, but they are there.

Comment

Originally posted by smende1 View Post
                              I noticed a difference in applying last year. are there pref points in texas? if not, i believe the odds of getting a drawn guided hunt for scimitar was 1/7000...

Yea but that one is mason mountain and it pretty much a guaranteed trophy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X