Cleaning a Marlin Lever Gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning a Marlin Lever Gun

I recently inherited my grandfather’s Marlin chambered in 30-30. As far as I know, the rifle hasn’t been fired since 1987. So she needs a good cleaning up. Easy enough, except the lever screw is a flat head screw with a VERY thin slot. I’ve gone through every flathead screwdriver me and my father in law own and none fit that screw correctly.

Since this rifle means the world to me, I don’t want to mess up that screw head. Is there a special screwdriver I need to buy from Marlin? Or any other source to get the exact right screwdriver?

Thanks in advance

There are eyeglass repair kits that Walgreens typically has that will have very small flathead in it. Should fix you up.
    I’m sure you can pickup on amazon or elsewhere too.

Comment

Go buy one that fits or make one that fits.

Comment

Grace makes a screw driver kit for Marlin rifles

Comment

Yeah it’s a weird one, I have a gunsmithing kit that has one that fits I use on mine. It’s straight thread and comes right out once it’s cracked, I’d put some penetrating oil on the front and back and let it sit while you find one that fits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Screwdriver kit with changeable hollow ground tips, grind one to custom fit. DO NOT Bubba that screw head up. Also study a few disassembly/ assembly uTube videos before starting. It’s pretty simple once you have done it a few times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I ordered the screw drivers from Grace. They worked great. Very pleased. Thank y’all very much for your advice

Comment

Originally posted by Preacher Man View Post
                I recently inherited my grandfather’s Marlin chambered in 30-30. As far as I know, the rifle hasn’t been fired since 1987. So she needs a good cleaning up. Easy enough, except the lever screw is a flat head screw with a VERY thin slot. I’ve gone through every flathead screwdriver me and my father in law own and none fit that screw correctly.

Since this rifle means the world to me, I don’t want to mess up that screw head. Is there a special screwdriver I need to buy from Marlin? Or any other source to get the exact right screwdriver?

Thanks in advance
                Check with a local gunsmith....just approach with caution

Comment

Working...
                X