Bowtech Revolt vs. Solution SS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bowtech Revolt vs. Solution SS?

Is there any noticeable difference between these two bows? Minor spec differences: 1/4" brace height difference, 3fps IBO, slightly different cutouts in the riser, and 0.4 pounds weight differential. Other than that, they seem like basically the same bow. Anybody actually shot both of them side by side yet?

The Solution vs. the Revolt X looks like a little bit more of an appreciable difference, but still pretty similar bows with those two as well. Anybody shot those two side by side yet?

My current bow is 10 years old. Been thinking of getting a new bow. Haven't shot any yet, but just looking at reviews and specs and such, I'm interested in the Revolt or probably the 33" Revolt X.

Tagged

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I haven’t shot either but I will also be in the market this year I think. I asked my bow guy and he said “really smooth and faster than this year’s Revolt.”

Comment

Originally posted by Grayson View Post
        I haven’t shot either but I will also be in the market this year I think. I asked my bow guy and he said “really smooth and faster than this year’s Revolt.”
        Solution specs show it to be faster than Revolt. But Solution SS is slightly slower, according to the IBO specs. Real world is often different, of course. I'm gonna go to the local shop later today to shoot them if they have all of them.
        Last edited by Shane; 01-20-2021, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
          Solution specs shot it to be faster than Revolt. But Solution SS is slightly slower, according to the IBO specs. Real world is often different, of course. I'm gonna go to the local shop later today to shoot them if they have all of them.
          If you do please let us know what you think. I’ve never owned a bow from the big 3 but I’m really considering stepping up to a Revolt especially since I’m still shooting my 11 year old diamond.

Comment

Will do.

In looking at info online about new bows that are smoother, as opposed to the fastest, I kinda have it narrowed down to the Bowtechs and the Matthews VXR. I'm starting with the Bowtechs because of the Deadlock cam deal. The VXR cams can be shimmed if you need to tune L/R. But it's like major surgery to press the bow, take the cams off, put shims in, put all back together.... And then if you don't get the shims right on the first try, do it all again.... Should be great once you get it finished, but the process would be a pain. That same tune on the Bowtech would be super easy. Might not be needed on either, but if you needed to make those adjustments it would be nice to have it be an easy process.

Comment

I may be in the market too and the Revolt x and Solution are possibilities along with the X33 and Ventum. Here is a speed review I found if your interested, don’t know this guy but at least it looks like he did a good job. Lol I generally prefer a 335-345 IBO type bow and 32-34” ATA.
              Attached Files

Comment

Cool. Thanks!

I am most interested in the Revolt X currently. 33" ATA and a little smoother (reportedly) than the Solution. I'm hoping the shop has both to try.

Comment

I bought the new revolt last year. I love how it draws and pleased with how it shoots. I have shot Martin bows forever but decided it was time for a change.

Comment

I shot the Solution and the Solution SS last week at F6 Outdoors in Salem, Iowa. Both are great feeling bows. The SS definitely has a smoother draw cycle. Both have good valleys and a solid back wall. I am used to a little more aggressive cams (with these two you almost have to make them let down). Both of these are shooters. You would not go wrong with either one.

The DeadLock cam system make these new BowTechs super easy to tune. At 6'4" and a 30.5 DL the Solution's axle to axle is better suited to me, but I really liked the feel of the SS. I have shot Hoyts for the last 17 years. I have 4 Hoyts hanging in my shop right now, but I think a Bowtech is in my future soon. The Reckoning 38 is a heck of a target bow as well.

Comment

Zach and I went to the bow shop this evening. They had a 70# Solution, a 60# Solution SS, and a 70# Revolt. They didn't have a Revolt X. We shot the Revolt at 70# side by side with the other two bows, and then we had them turn the Revolt down to 60# and shot it along with the 60# Solution SS. All of them had cams set on Comfort. All had whisker biscuit rest, no sight, no stabilizer. All at 29" draw. I don't know the arrow weight, but they were not heavy. Probably 350-360 grains, I'm guessing.

Zach's impressions of all the bows were pretty much identical to mine....

Solution - 70#

Draw cycle: Stiff from the first move, but smooth almost all the way back. Just a little hump right before the valley, and then a big drop into the valley. Not harsh, but noticeable hump then valley.

Back wall: Solid. Lots of let off. Easy to hold, but not a lot of wiggle room before let down.

Let down: abrupt - what you'd expect from a more aggressive speed cam.

Shot: not terribly loud, but a little louder than the other two. Speed bow....

Hand shock: not bad at all, but some jump. Definitely not bad though.

Solution SS - 60#

Draw cycle: Super Smooth, just like the name. Maybe slightly heavier for the first inch than the Revolt, but then just smooth all the way back and transition into the valley. No big hump.

Back wall: Solid. Lots of let off. Easy to hold, but not a lot of wiggle room before let down. Similar to the Solution

Let down: Smooth. Easy to let down easy and quiet.

Shot: Pretty quiet. Add a stabilizer and a heavier arrow, and it would probably be really quiet.

Hand shock: Just a touch of hand shock. Definitely less than Solution, but a little bit of a jump when shot with a really loose grip.

Revolt - 70#

Draw cycle: SUPER Smooth. Slightly smoother than the Solution SS, even at 70# for the Revolt vs. 60# on the SS. Main difference is it feels a little more gradual at the beginning of the draw. Very smooth, even through the transition into the back wall. Noticeably smoother than the Solution.

Back wall: Solid. Lots of let off. Easy to hold. Almost holds itself.

Let down: Almost feels like you have to push the string forward an inch or so before it starts letting down. It's smooth from there, but you have to be ready to kinda "catch" it once the cam kicks in to let down. Makes it not quite as easy to let down smoothly as the Solution SS, but not as jerky as the Solution's faster cam.

Shot: Pretty dang quiet.

Hand shock: Practically none. Holding it with just a loose ring with index finger and thumb, it barely moves at all. Nice. And nothing but a whisker biscuit on the bow.

Revolt - 60#

Draw cycle: Again....SUPER Smooth. Slightly smoother than the Solution SS still. Main difference is it feels a little more gradual at the beginning of the draw. Very smooth, even through the transition into the back wall. Noticeably smoother than the Solution.

Back wall: Same.... Solid. Lots of let off. Easy to hold. Almost holds itself.

Let down: Same.... Almost feels like you have to push the string forward an inch or so before it starts letting down. It's smooth from there, but you have to be ready to kinda "catch" it once the cam kicks in to let down. Slightly less of an initial pull at 60# than 70#, but still there. Still not quite as easy to let down smoothly as the Solution SS.

Shot: Same.... Pretty dang quiet.

Hand shock: Same.... Practically none. Holding it with just a loose ring with index finger and thumb, it barely moves at all. Nice. And nothing but a whisker biscuit on the bow.

Overall Impressions

The Solution is a very nice bow. Would make a great "best of both worlds" bow between the fastest bows and the smoothest bows. Not the fastest or the smoothest, but very respectable in both. Would be faster with the cam on Performance mode, but that would make it a little less smooth. It's pretty cool to have the option to flip the mod on the cam to go from smoother to faster on all these bows.

Zach and I both liked the other two bows better than the Solution. Their smoothness is just super nice. It didn't take us long to figure that out. It took us a good while to sort out the differences between the SS and the Revolt. Those two bows are pretty similar. The main differences between the SS and the Revolt, to us, were:

1. Weight - SS is 4/10ths of a pound lighter. Doesn't sound like much, but it was noticeably lighter than the Revolt.

2. Hold and let down - SS is easier to let down smoothly, but the Revolt is easier to hold for a long time. We both felt like we could hold the Revolt a LOOONG time without ever needing to let down anyway.

3. Hand shock - slight edge to the Revolt, as it's completely dead in the hand. You have to concentrate on it to notice, but the SS does have a little bit of shock. Definitely not much though. I'm guessing it's mainly due to the SS being lighter?? What little shock there is with the bare SS would likely mostly disappear once you put a sight and a stabilizer on it.

4. Noise - Very slight edge to the Revolt. Might not be much difference at all with a stabilizer and/or heavier arrow though.

5. Colors - Revolt has more color/camo options than the Solution or Solution SS

The string angle on the two 30" bows at 29" draw wasn't terribly extreme. String angle on the 32" Solution (and the 33" Revolt X) would probably be a little nicer for the longer draw lengths.

I really wish they'd had a Revolt X to shoot. But most people like the shorter bows, so that's what they keep in the shop. The 32" ATA Solution has cams that are bigger than the Revolt cams. The overall length of that bow compared to the 33" ATA Revolt X is probably about the same, due to the cam size differences. I really don't think the Revolt X would be too big for my hunting.

We both came away thinking that of all 3 that we shot, we liked the Revolt the best. But we also both thought that we'd prefer the Revolt X over the Revolt. Same cams as the Revolt, so draw cycle, hold and let down would be the same. Better string angle for our longer draw length. Little more speed, due to 6 1/2" brace height instead of 7 1/4" on the Revolt. But you get the forgiveness back with the extra 3" ATA difference. The X would be 1/10th of a pound heavier. Not enough to make it feel too heavy. If anything, it should make hand shock and noise even less noticeable than it already is with the Revolt. Wish we could have shot one to find out for sure.
                      Last edited by Shane; 01-20-2021, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Great write up, and I know what you mean on the letdown cycle. I purchased a Revolt X last summer and have been very happy with it. Not sure what weight arrow you guys were shooting, but I'm at 65#/570gr arrow and it's wicked quiet!

Comment

Originally posted by mzurovec View Post
                          Great write up, and I know what you mean on the letdown cycle. I purchased a Revolt X last summer and have been very happy with it. Not sure what weight arrow you guys were shooting, but I'm at 65#/570gr arrow and it's wicked quiet!
                          My current arrows are 527gr. VERY quiet out of my old 70# Bear Carnage, which has always been a super quiet bow, even with lighter arrows. The Revolt we shot today with arrows that were definitely under 400gr was still pretty doggone quiet, so am sure it would be even more quiet with a heavier arrow.

Have you shot the Revolt to compare to your Revolt X? If so, how did they compare?
                          Last edited by Shane; 01-20-2021, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                            My current arrows are 527gr. VERY quiet out of my old 70# Bear Carnage, which has always been a super quiet bow, even with lighter arrows. The Revolt we shot today with arrows that were definitely under 400gr was still pretty doggone quiet, so am sure it would be even more quiet with a heavier arrow.

Have you shot the Revolt to compare to your Revolt X? If so, how did they compare?
                            I did shoot the Revolt a couple of times, with the only difference to me being the X feeling more balanced with a better string angle (not surprising). The grip seems to be a love/hate thing, but it is the most repeatable grip I've had on a bow yet.

Comment

Originally posted by mzurovec View Post
                              I did shoot the Revolt a couple of times, with the only difference to me being the X feeling more balanced with a better string angle (not surprising). The grip seems to be a love/hate thing, but it is the most repeatable grip I've had on a bow yet.
                              That's what I was guessing. I may go ahead and order an X.

I liked the grip on the Bowtechs. Minimalistic, but comfortable. No sharp edges or corners. Thin enough to not be too easy to torque the riser.

Comment

Working...
                              X