Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are Santa Gert cattle really as bad as some suggest?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are Santa Gert cattle really as bad as some suggest?

Just curious about the breed. It’s neat and all how they are connected with the King Ranch. They look nice, but am told they are trouble. What say the GS herdsmen and ranchers?

I managed a ranch for twenty years with gert cattle. There are better breeds out there. Can't go wrong with angus in my opinion.

Comment

Good Gert mommas make good crosses.

Comment

Originally posted by Btoutdoors View Post
        I managed a ranch for twenty years with gert cattle. There are better breeds out there. Can't go wrong with angus in my opinion.
        Yeah that’s mainly what I’m familiar with are angus. And some with Polled Hereford and Brahman.

Originally posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
        Good Gert mommas make good crosses.
        Good to know. Thanks.

Comment

All I know is they are EXPENSIVE A.F. if you're going for nostalgia why not a Texas Longhorn?
          Last edited by LlanoHunter10; 07-13-2018, 10:19 PM.

Comment

Santa Gertrudis cattle are I'm kinda like my ex wife. Not the worst but there's better ones to pick from.

Comment

Trouble as in will come at you ? Are what are you talking about? I grew up with them basically in my back yard my neighbor raised them had hundreds of head of them my cousins and me ran all over the land fishing tanks shooting dove , hunting quail with dogs right by them all the time even delivered a few calves when we were out hunting. We never had any problems with them at all . But about 10 years ago before the guy passed away he switched over to red angus for some reason but I only think he did that because they became a more popular breed and started bringing more money !!

Comment

IMO you won’t find a better breed of cattle! I grew up raising registered Gerts, we consistently had 250 momma cows and around 30 bulls. We gain tested, and used a ultrasound to look at REA and grade. We had bench marks for our replacements bulls and heifers. Our cattle consistently out preformed angus Herefords and brangus in the Feed lot. If you want more information please feel free to pm me.
                Last edited by justin156bc; 07-13-2018, 11:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss163 View Post
                  Trouble as in will come at you ? Are what are you talking about? I grew up with them basically in my back yard my neighbor raised them had hundreds of head of them my cousins and me ran all over the land fishing tanks shooting dove , hunting quail with dogs right by them all the time even delivered a few calves when we were out hunting. We never had any problems with them at all . But about 10 years ago before the guy passed away he switched over to red angus for some reason but I only think he did that because they became a more popular breed and started bringing more money !!
                  Am told they are flighty and tough on fences.

Comment

Originally posted by LlanoHunter10 View Post
                    All I know is they are EXPENSIVE A.F. if you're going for nostalgia why not a Texas Longhorn?
                    No not interested in nostalgia at all. Been looking at some in person and am curious is all.

Originally posted by justin156bc View Post
                    IMO you won’t find a better breed of cattle! I grew up raising registered Gerts, we consistently had 250 momma cows and around 30 bulls. We gain tested, and used a ultrasound to look at REA and grade. We had bench marks for our replacements bulls and heifers. Our cattle consistently out preformed angus Herefords and brangus in the Feed lot. If you want more information please feel free to pm me.
                    Thanks.

Comment

They’re like all the rest of them. Follow the 90/10 rule. 10% of the herd will give you 90% of your problems. That 10% of gerts do challenge fences a little more than others though. Pretty cattle and make good babies with a good Hereford bull.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Worth less per pound across the scales.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                          Worth less per pound across the scales.
                          Lol, negative

Homozygous Blk Gelbvieh bulls on gert cows. I’ve feed out 1000’s of yearlings of all make. Both yield and grade the combo above hard to beat

Comment

I don't know who told you that, but I would run from any further info they might have to give, I raised them for years, my girls showed the them all over the State. Best breed I have every been around.

Comment

The rancher where I hunt raises Black Angus. Can I say the word Black? They seem somewhat easy going, and love corn. I saw one bull out there, and that monster was about 3000#. He could have his way with any fence.

Anyway, some of the breeds could do better in different area because of the mineral in the ground. Look at works best in your area by checking out your neighbors. I raised Troublemasters for 10 years, and would not use that breed again.

Comment

Working...
                              X