Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 03-01-2021, 08:13 PM   #1
TeamAmerica
Ten Point

Hunt In: Corsicana (Navarro County)
Default Property tax lien

Need some green screen knowledge.

Our absentee neighbor land owner has past due property taxes and penalties. No loan that I'm aware of. I finally connected with a granddaughter and learned property owner passed away in 2019. The only son lives in NC and isn't on speaking terms with this family member.

I plan to call the county tax office and ask for as much info as I can get. Would this property wind up at the county foreclosure auction? I'd like to be ready to buy it if it did so just trying to figure out how to get prepared.

How long and how much past due dollars before a county will take action? What is the notification period? Would it be different if the land is now in probate possibly? (Note that the tax office has the property address on file but no separate owner address- I checked that first).
TeamAmerica is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-01-2021, 08:22 PM   #2
W E H
Six Point

Hunt In: Lavaca County USA

It’s probably in probate now. Meaning they’re trying to or about to start settling the estate. This may not be the only asset of the person that died

It would probably be years before it’s up for back tax auction but you can try and buy it from the heir(s) before it gets to that point. That’s where I’d start.

Last edited by W E H; 03-01-2021 at 08:23 PM. Reason: More information
W E H is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-01-2021, 08:43 PM   #3
TeamAmerica
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by W E H View Post
It’s probably in probate now. Meaning they’re trying to or about to start settling the estate. This may not be the only asset of the person that died

It would probably be years before it’s up for back tax auction but you can try and buy it from the heir(s) before it gets to that point. That’s where I’d start.
Right now I have no way to reach the heir. Not sure how to track them down.
Old 03-01-2021, 08:48 PM   #4
dawgkllr
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jermyn, Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamAmerica View Post
Right now I have no way to reach the heir. Not sure how to track them down.

A PI may be able to help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dawgkllr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-01-2021, 08:57 PM   #5
W E H
Six Point

Read your first post again.

The granddaughter is not on speaking terms with the only son? Is the only son an only child? Wouldn’t that be her father?

Where did absentee landowner live? You might go look at the courthouse in that county and see if they’re any probate/wills posted. If it’s not to large a town you can ask a few of the law offices if they’re handling the will/probate of “absentee landowner” and go from there
Old 03-01-2021, 09:22 PM   #6
S-3 Ranch
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton , San perlita

If you buy a tax lien property, I think you can take possession but the property, is still in limbo as they have 24 months to repay you to retain possession
S-3 Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-01-2021, 09:28 PM   #7
1riot1ranger
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie County

I've looked into buying tax lien auctions. It's a pretty messy process. Definitely buying from heirs after probate is cleanest. Work with the granddaughter for information and a fair offer.
1riot1ranger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-01-2021, 09:47 PM   #8
TeamAmerica
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by W E H View Post
Read your first post again.

The granddaughter is not on speaking terms with the only son? Is the only son an only child? Wouldn’t that be her father?

Where did absentee landowner live? You might go look at the courthouse in that county and see if they’re any probate/wills posted. If it’s not to large a town you can ask a few of the law offices if they’re handling the will/probate of “absentee landowner” and go from there
This is her step grandfather. She is on speaking terms with her step grand sister who is Not speaking to the only biological son/heir. It's complicated! .

It has been almost two years since he died but the tax records haven't been updated. Not sure how long probate could last.
Old 03-01-2021, 09:53 PM   #9
1riot1ranger
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie County

Quote:
This is her step grandfather. She is on speaking terms with her step grand sister who is Not speaking to the only biological son/heir. It's complicated! .

It has been almost two years since he died but the tax records haven't been updated. Not sure how long probate could last.
ugh. sounds messy but ask for his contact information. You've nothing to lose by contacting him - it's not you he's not on speaking terms with. If you want to proceed I would enlist a real estate attorney to help with the legal docs and contract.
1riot1ranger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-01-2021, 10:06 PM   #10
Grayson
Pope & Young

Hunt In: North Texas

What county?
Grayson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-01-2021, 10:10 PM   #11
Huntindad
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerr county & TP&W

I believe it is a matter of money in arrears. after a certain amount they start the process. which includes trying to get ahold of known relatives/heirs.

after that comes up negative... a date is set for the auction. if you do get it, there are if's and butts involved. the owner can come forward "X" amount of months later and pay you for the property and it is theirs.
Huntindad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-01-2021, 10:10 PM   #12
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County

Is this in Dallas County? Most smaller counties have a website where you can check to see if the deceased's will has been filed for probate. Dallas' public records website is a nightmare.

In any event, you can check with the county in which he died to see if his will is in probate. If so, you can actually request a copy of his will to determine any heirs, the executor, etc.
Burnadell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-01-2021, 10:13 PM   #13
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayson View Post
What county?
Here ya go. I will bow out. Listen to Grayson.
Old 03-01-2021, 10:38 PM   #14
rjet
Pope & Young

I found a property in East Texas that I was interested in that had not had taxes paid in years. I reached out to the below firm and they are the ones in parts of the state that gets these properties moved to the sheriffs sales. Might want to see if they service the area you are looking at. They were good in keeping me informed on the property and when it would go to sale.
Also, this property was not on their radar until I brought it up with them. If I had not there is no telling how long it would have sat there.

Linebarger Goggan Blair & Sampson, LLP

Last edited by rjet; 03-01-2021 at 10:43 PM. Reason: info
rjet is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-02-2021, 07:21 AM   #15
W E H
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjet View Post
I found a property in East Texas that I was interested in that had not had taxes paid in years. I reached out to the below firm and they are the ones in parts of the state that gets these properties moved to the sheriffs sales. Might want to see if they service the area you are looking at. They were good in keeping me informed on the property and when it would go to sale.
Also, this property was not on their radar until I brought it up with them. If I had not there is no telling how long it would have sat there.

They handle the ones around here too
Old 03-02-2021, 07:39 AM   #16
adam_p
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cooke, Denton, Oklahoma

Quote:

Took over 4 years on a buddies deal. His parents died and he bought the house. No fighting over stuff with his siblings either. Their attorney sucked and covid added a bunch of time to it.
adam_p is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-02-2021, 11:31 AM   #17
TeamAmerica
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjet View Post

Tax office gave me this same law firm to contact regarding past due sales. I've left them a voice-mail and will see what they know.

I also found a son in law of owner using tax website as he is still in Texas per obituary. Will try to reach him and find more info.
Old 03-02-2021, 12:33 PM   #18
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayson View Post
What county?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnadell View Post
Is this in Dallas County? Most smaller counties have a website where you can check to see if the deceased's will has been filed for probate. Dallas' public records website is a nightmare.

In any event, you can check with the county in which he died to see if his will is in probate. If so, you can actually request a copy of his will to determine any heirs, the executor, etc.
Quote:
Tax office gave me this same law firm to contact regarding past due sales. I've left them a voice-mail and will see what they know.

I also found a son in law of owner using tax website as he is still in Texas per obituary. Will try to reach him and find more info.
Uh hmmm...what county? Have you called them to see if the will was probated?
Old 03-02-2021, 12:36 PM   #19
TeamAmerica
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnadell View Post
Uh hmmm...what county? Have you called them to see if the will was probated?
Navarro. Tax office had no info on probate. I just spoke with the tax lien attorney and they said it was not currently on their list but they took my name and info as an "interested buyer".

I was able to find the probate (no will or death probate) info regarding the landowners guardianship from 2015. i found a number in this document for his son and will call it later today. i kinda like being an amatuer PI. thanks for the help everyone!

https://navarrocountytx-web.tylerhost.net/web/

Last edited by TeamAmerica; 03-02-2021 at 01:35 PM.
Old 03-02-2021, 02:16 PM   #20
TeamAmerica
Ten Point

Navarro County is where the property is. Obit said owner died in Plano. I checked Collin and Denton county probate records to no avail.
Old 03-04-2021, 12:51 PM   #21
Burnadell
Pope & Young

It looks like you are on it with the right sources. Good luck on the results.
Old 03-04-2021, 02:56 PM   #22
buzzbait
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado, Lavaca, Blanco, Gillispie and Fayette

Do a probate search for him in that county. Everything you need to know will be in that probate
buzzbait is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-04-2021, 04:30 PM   #23
TSE
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilar View Post
If you buy a tax lien property, I think you can take possession but the property, is still in limbo as they have 24 months to repay you to retain possession
If it is just raw land the period is 6 months. I bought a neighboring property that way on the proverbial courthouse steps. Easier to do in rural counties because of fewer interested parties.

The law firm mentioned earlier handled this property as well. They are required to find all heirs and lien holders and inform them that they will be giving up any legal claim on the property when it is sold via tax sale. This doesn't mean they will however find everyone with a legal claim or lien. You will want to have a title search done, but as far as I know, a title company will not write a title policy on the property.

Good luck. Great way to grab a property that has fallen off the map.
TSE is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-04-2021, 11:48 PM   #24
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzbait View Post
Do a probate search for him in that county. Everything you need to know will be in that probate
See his post #19 and #20.